Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Western Rail Corridor

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

corktina wrote: »
    l

Since you are clearly in love with motoring your 'impartial' contributions to the WRC debate will not be missed. Just because Kanturk no longer has a rail service there's no need to be so anti-rail. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Since you are clearly in love with motoring your 'impartial' contributions to the WRC debate will not be missed. Just because Kanturk no longer has a rail service there's no need to be so anti-rail. :p

check out the reason for editing....and Im most definately PRO rail.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

yachtsman wrote: »
    I think that Stroke Politics' point has been fobbed off with smart answers rather than an acknowledgement that he asked a straight question that deserves a straight answer.

How can it cost five times as much to relay a mile of state-owned closed railway in Cork than it does in Galway? And please bear in mind that the €106 m allocated to the first phase of the WRC INCLUDES all the signalling, level crossings and strengthening works currently underway on the Athenry to Galway section AND provision for the new station at Oranmore. The real cost of Ennis to Athenry is closer to €2m per mile than €3m - while Middleton cost €12m per mile. Future passenger use has nothing to do with the capital cost. And I am bemused at the predictions of failure facing the WRC. You can rest assured there will be more passengers on the first service train carrying fare paying passengers into Athenry than there were on the Middleton fare paying service into Cobh Junction yesterday - 9.

IE have about 1000 route miles in the country and they receive about €200m in subsidy ie. €200,000 per route mile.
    So lets stop giving the impression that IE are not already heavily subsidised. They should'nt get an increased subsidy for Middleton or the WRC. They should fill the trains with passengers, sweat their assets, decongest the roads, reduce our carbon footprint - in other words get off their butts and do what they are paid to do - run a rail service or get off the pitch and let the private sector get on with the job.

And I for one as a Galwayman want a railway service on the WRC from Galway to Mayo NOT a walking route. Its enough having McCarthy trying to turn our region into a nature reserve than to have local people advocating it. I have seen too many tears shed at Airports of young Irish graduates emigrating against their will to believe we need anything other than 21st century infrastructure all over Ireland to help us attract inward investment and to foster our indiginous potential.

And all as the poor babies crawl around eyre square scrounging for food as mammy and daddy beg for a place in the work house. Up in Mayo the burnt out remains of bungalows are surrounded by youngins with back packs ready to set sail in a schooner to Americay. Will you get a grip of yourself. I saw my family shed tears at the B+I ferry terminal in 1980s Dublin seeing off desperate relatives in search of a life and very much against their will. The west doesn't have a monopoly on those tears and your precious WRC certainly won't prevent recession or aid recovery.

You want 21st century infrastructure? Well the WRC isn't 21st century infrastructure by any stretch of the imagination. It will not compete with road transport (and spare me any lamentable yarns about freight) and is merely a second rate railway that takes the strangest possible route in 21st century terms. Why? Because it was never built to be any kind of intercity railway in the first place and the relay/reopening is just a badly informed act of political appeasement encouraged by headbangers with absolutely no understanding of rail transport in a country the size of Ireland. As for north of Athenry, its a meandering line through back waters heading over some of the most appalingly built railway that you will ever see.

Yes I agree, IE are a shambles of an outfit that don't even try to sweat assets where it matters, but to sweat them on the WRC would be akin to flogging a dead horse and then trying to ride in the grand national. As for the private sector making money out of the WRC? :D:D:D Sorry but that only works where masses of people are using rail services and even then you'll find that the state will have to pay for the infrastructure. Rail transport is a hard game to make money in.

So you're a Galway man that wants to see the WRC extended all the way to Mayo? Why? Do you work in Castlebar or something? And McCarthy isn't picking on you either. Lose the chip on your western shoulder. He's picking on everyone everywhere.

And then there's the midleton line and its more expensive cost than the WRC. Thats probably because its designed better, built better and there for the longhaul as Cork CC planned for it over the course of 20 years. Its a pretty impressive modern surburban railway and has justification written all over it. The WRC stretch from Ennis to Athenry is a poorly restored railway, built on the cheap and retains all of its hilly meandering features that will result in slow speeds and a rural nature. Even the stations look like half hearted efforts with shelters built to accomodate the expected 6 people waiting on a train, if we're lucky.

The WRC is a con job. Promoted by eejits, sanctioned by bigger eejits and built by understudy eejits on strings. I love the west of Ireland. Ive worked there (Wow! can you believe an Easty actually worked in the west!), lived there and still visit regularly. Ive seen the changes and they've been positive changes. Public transport is still a disaster in the likes of Galway city, Sligo and Limerick city. But our Government has decided to spend 100 million on a railway that does virtually nothing for these commuter belts. For example if Tuam got a commuter rail service before Galways bus service was improved, I'd get sick with disgust. This is what amazes me about the likes of you. The basics in public transport are neglected beyond belief, while you pontificate along with the hill billy WOT lot about a pointless railway that rambles through fields and townlands, taking the longest route to get anywhere near a centre of popluation in true 19th century style, while advocating 21st century infrastructure! If you were representative of the West of Ireland (and you're not, thank ****) then the rest of us could be forgiven for laughing at all of you and your demented poor mouth attitude.

Every bone fide supporter of the WRC in the west is a disgraceful example to the area with the exception of many "helpful" eejits who signed a petition. The rest of its supporters are just trainspotters wet with nostalgia.

Won't there still have to be a public bus service to cover the places not covered by the train?

Galway (Bus Station) dep.
    Galway GMIT
    Oranmore (Station Road)
    Clarenbridge (Sherry’s)
    Kilcolgan
    Ardrahan (Burke’s)
    Labane
    Gort (The Square)
    Crusheen (Post Office)
    Ennis (Bus Station)
    Clarecastle (Power’s)
    Shannon Airport
    Bunratty
    Limerick (Bus Station)

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭yachtsman

As Voltaire on his deathbed in response to a priest asking that he renounce Satan said;

"Now, now my good man, this is no time for making enemies."

Better things to do!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

And I for one as a Galwayman want a railway service on the WRC from Galway to Mayo NOT a walking route. Its enough having McCarthy trying to turn our region into a nature reserve than to have local people advocating it. I have seen too many tears shed at Airports of young Irish graduates emigrating against their will to believe we need anything other than 21st century infrastructure all over Ireland to help us attract inward investment and to foster our indiginous potential.

Actually a walking cycling route (greenway) could be created in parallel to the railway - if it is planned properly from the start and Minisiter O'Cuiv is advocating this to the DOT, and Minisiter Dempsey is listening to the idea - so we may yet get both, I know this from private correspondence I have had with both gentlemen -

Re jobs - the Greenway idea will actually create jobs in the region and there has been enough written about the value of walking and cycling tourism in rural areas -another example of the value of walking tourism can be seen here:

http://www.failteireland.ie/About-Us/News-and-Events/All-Walkers-Welcome-in-Wicklow

And this would not turn the west of ireland into what you so quaintly call a nature reserve - such a a patronising attitude is beyond belief, the only reason we actually have agricultural life existing in the west of ireland is because of subsidies from the EU; No-one is advocating a west of ireland theme park but the greenway would actually add more economic activity to the west. Tourism is the single most important "industry" in the west, managing our enviroment, providing good walking facilities etc is part of that industry. The WRC is not sustainable as a commuter line nor is it sustainable as a tourist attraction or way of moving tourists around.

I personally doubt the WRC will add one real job (save the IE jobs created) The WRC as DW has so clearly pointed out is a complete and utter waste of money, time and energy and will make a difference to about 1% of the small population we have in the west and is not a priority for any companies seeking to relocate to the west. all being said before but needs to be said again and again - a complete and utter waste of public money and not doing the west any real service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Tableman

Are there any figures on how profitable the Wesport Ballina Athlone line is if you were to omit the journeys to Dublin? For example, Would this line be able to survive if it terminated in Athlone?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Tableman wrote: »
    Are there any figures on how profitable the Wesport Ballina Athlone line is if you were to omit the journeys to Dublin? For example, Would this line be able to survive if it terminated in Athlone?
    I imagine the vast majority of train trips on the Mayo line originate in or are destined to Dublin.

Westport/Ballina-Athlone might fill a single carriage a few times per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Rawr

I must echo Westtip here in saying that there is definitly more advantage in turning WRC Phase 2 into a greenway.

As I have stated here and on the Greenways thread, Greenways present potential growth in cycling/walking tourism. I for one, would be out to that Greenway the day of it's opening, should it be actually be built. I feel that the Burma road would make an excellent cycle-trip.

I feel that this greenway could stimulate commerce in the townlands it would traverse, with cyclists/walkers making pitstops along the way and probably seeking lodging in some towns. Local hospitality business and hotelliers could only benefit from this if such a greenway were to go ahead and become popular.

Rawr wrote: »

As I have stated here and on the Greenways thread, Greenways present potential growth in cycling/walking tourism. I feel that the Burma road would make an excellent cycle-trip.

I feel that this greenway could stimulate commerce in the townlands it would traverse, with cyclists/walkers making pitstops along the way and probably seeking lodging in some towns. Local hospitality business and hotelliers could only benefit from this if such a greenway were to go ahead and become popular.

Yes Rawr and thank you for the positive feedback on the idea - the economics of walking/cycling tourism have been well documented - but trying to get supporters of WOT to change their minds about the hypnotic mantra of their spiritual leader is probably never going to succeed. The idea for alternative uses of the WRC has to be taken to those who will make the decisions - to present a different and alternative view - because as said trying to change the minds of the zealots advocating the WRC will never happen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Tableman

I imagine the vast majority of train trips on the Mayo line originate in or are destined to Dublin.

Yes, I agree. I imagine the same. Just wondering if it would be feasible for the train to run if it didnt go to Dublin as surely this would be something to compare the feasibility of WRC with.

Victor wrote: »

Absolutely - I would guess 90% of paying passengers getting on the train in Ballina in the morning - are going up to Dublin for the day. You will get some using the train service for cross country (eg Athlone - Ballina), but generally restricted to the non paying type of passenger - ie the oldies who travel for free and have plenty of time on their hands - but the rail service is not primarily designed for this target market!

Rawr wrote: »
    I must echo Westtip here in saying that there is definitly more advantage in turning WRC Phase 2 into a greenway.

As I have stated here and on the Greenways thread, Greenways present potential growth in cycling/walking tourism. I for one, would be out to that Greenway the day of it's opening, should it be actually be built. I feel that the Burma road would make an excellent cycle-trip.

Sorry for being petty, and I'm pretty sure that I have raised this point before but how are all these cyclists going to reach Athenry or Claremorris to cycle on your Greenways - given the almost non existent bike capacity on the 22000s? :D

Sorry for being petty, and I'm pretty sure that I have raised this point before but how are all these cyclists going to reach Athenry or Claremorris to cycle on your Greenways - given the almost non existent bike capacity on the 22000s? :D

JD, You are quite right IE are doing nothing for cycling tourism, but this is not the big issue about the greenway argument. A lot of cycling tourists using the greenways in the uk simply stick their bikes on the back of their cars and drive to the cycling route they want to use! If they are locals using the greenway they simply cycle to them - your point about the 22000s is true but not an insurmountable problem. One of the key issues about the Greenway argument is return on investment - Turn the whatever it is - say 75 miles of WRC from Claremorris to Collooney to Greenway - at a cost of what? say 5 million - which is probably on the high side - and see the tourists pour in to use it, not to mention local day trippers who will go out for lunch, buy sweets and ice creams for the kids, by petrol and pay VAT on goods in the local area. The maintenance costs would be very low as well. compare this to the cost of laying the new track and the cost of subvention per passenger - don't get me wrong I actually don't think trains can ever really wipe their face - there will always be a subvention of some kind - it is just that the WRC cost per passenger journey in terms of subvention will be horrendous and unjustified. The whole thing is simply an indulgence.

Greenways are not just about cycling -but walking as well, local walkers as well tourists. I have seen women power walking or having their evening constitutional on the hard shoulder of the Knock/Claremorris bypass - is this a healthy option? Is this providing our citizens with a safe place to have somethign as simple as an evening walk; no wonder so many pedestrians get killed and injured on our roads, the greenway of the WRC could actually save lives. For a modest sum of money, the WRC Greenway could improve the lives of a lot more people than the WRC ever will, that's my view, but I think readers of this thread will be well aware of that! I have said it in a post recently, it's not about convincing the WOT eejits as DW calls them, they won't change their minds - its about influencing those who make the decisions to show them their is an alternative for the WRC which will actually be for the greater good of a greater number at a much lesser cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭StephenM_smc

Victor wrote: »

From my own experience, people from my area generally go to Sligo/Galway before Athlone. Given the fact that there have been major retail developments in Castlebar, one of the main reasons to go to Galway has been wiped out. Any time I travel from Dublin to Mayo, people getting on the train is generally the exception, apart from Friday evenings in Athlone. I'd agree that the demand for the WRC would be similar to existing loads towards Athlone, but would also argue they'd be slightly better, but not by a whole lot.

I have no problems with the Greenway concept being developed alongside rail formations, where possible, but I wouldn't like to see rail routes such as the Burma Road (46 miles) abandoned in favour of them. I admit to being a rail enthusiast but since I travelled over the Burma Road in 1981 I have it ticked off so don't want it retained for selfish reasons. The main trouble, as I see it, about rail reopenings is not their location e.g. WRC, Midleton etc but the operator. Because CIE/IE cannot operate railways properly does not mean that railways are bad per se, but letting the same company that ran these lines into the ground have huge sums of money to reopen them seems plain crazy. There is nothing that I see in the CIE/IE today that does not remind me of the anti-rail Todd Andrews mindset. The management and unions live in a parallel universe to the rest of us and are incapable of the quantum leap of imagination that is needed to take Irish railways forward into the 21st century.

I have no problems with the Greenway concept being developed alongside rail formations, where possible, but I wouldn't like to see rail routes such as the Burma Road (46 miles) abandoned in favour of them. I admit to being a rail enthusiast but since I travelled over the Burma Road in 1981 I have it ticked off so don't want it retained for selfish reasons. The main trouble, as I see it, about rail reopenings is not their location e.g. WRC, Midleton etc but the operator. Because CIE/IE cannot operate railways properly does not mean that railways are bad per se, but letting the same company that ran these lines into the ground have huge sums of money to reopen them seems plain crazy. There is nothing that I see in the CIE/IE today that does not remind me of the anti-rail Todd Andrews mindset. The management and unions live in a parallel universe to the rest of us and are incapable of the quantum leap of imagination that is needed to take Irish railways forward into the 21st century.

JD interesting thoughts - but lets look at what you have said - Yes the Greenway could be developed alongside the WRC all the way from Athenry to Claremorris (and god forbid it ever happening) from Claremorris to Colooney as there is enough room - and refer you back to the document I posted up in post 1939 showing how this has been done in the uk - this is an active idea in the minds of the DOT now.

To save scrolling back here is the piece I refer to
    westtip wrote: »
    Sustrans have made costings of a variety of projects available on a special website – http://www.sustransconnect2.org.uk/resources/guidelines%206.pdf . For anyone with an interest in what is achievable on our old railway network I would highly recommend viewing the .pdf file on this website, scroll through section 6 types of Greenway - it will make everyone wake up about what can be done - and for relatively little cost

In particular look at some of the examples where Greenways have been built adjacent to the existing railways with a fence running between the two to divide them off for safety reasons. Then look at the West on Track website and look at how much space there is on the WRC where work is taking place – such a greenway could actually be placed adjacent to the line running from Athenry to Ennis – now that would be a tourist attraction – the driver of the empty trains could wave and blow his horn to all the walkers and cyclists using this route for real tourism leisure activity.

Quick link to entire post: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60459585&postcount=1939

To say you ticked off the Burma Road does rather lead you into accusations of having a masters degree in Railway Nerdship (I jest but for goodness sake - either keep taking the pills or go and see a therapist). Re-opening the line so another few people can tick it off is hardly a rationale for the project!

Re IE. Yep some good points, but would you actually take over the running of the WRC as a commercial operator?? I certainly wouldn't put one cent into such a business - why? because to run a successful commercial public transport operation you need bums on seats. In fact in trains you probably need them standing in the corridors as well - and you don't need the competition of a good quality road running parallel with your service - When the N17/18 is fully upgraded (and it will probably happen before Athenry -Claremorris opens), this train line will be dead on arrival. Regarding the role IE will play in the potential opening of the Athenry-Claremorris section then please refer to what Minister Dempsey said on May 1st - all quoted in post 1935. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60456098&postcount=1935

My message now is not trying to change the mind of West on Track - an impossible task; but trying to influence those who make the actual decisions to show them there is an alternative and the demand for WRC is not the fairy tale numbers pushed out by WOT.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭black47

See link to latest T21 newsletter below. Looks like WRC to Athenry won't be opening until closer to end 2009

http://www.transport21.ie/Publications/T21_Newsletter/T21_Newsletter.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭dowlingm

there was a query above re: the cost of relaying midleton per km vs wrc. I suspect this may be in part due to items being costed under midleton on existing open track such as the bridge at lower glanmire road etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 rikki2

DWCommuter wrote: »
    And all as the poor babies crawl around eyre square scrounging for food as mammy and daddy beg for a place in the work house. Up in Mayo the burnt out remains of bungalows are surrounded by youngins with back packs ready to set sail in a schooner to Americay. Will you get a grip of yourself. I saw my family shed tears at the B+I ferry terminal in 1980s Dublin seeing off desperate relatives in search of a life and very much against their will. The west doesn't have a monopoly on those tears and your precious WRC certainly won't prevent recession or aid recovery.

You want 21st century infrastructure? Well the WRC isn't 21st century infrastructure by any stretch of the imagination. It will not compete with road transport (and spare me any lamentable yarns about freight) and is merely a second rate railway that takes the strangest possible route in 21st century terms. Why? Because it was never built to be any kind of intercity railway in the first place and the relay/reopening is just a badly informed act of political appeasement encouraged by headbangers with absolutely no understanding of rail transport in a country the size of Ireland. As for north of Athenry, its a meandering line through back waters heading over some of the most appalingly built railway that you will ever see.

Yes I agree, IE are a shambles of an outfit that don't even try to sweat assets where it matters, but to sweat them on the WRC would be akin to flogging a dead horse and then trying to ride in the grand national. As for the private sector making money out of the WRC? :D:D:D Sorry but that only works where masses of people are using rail services and even then you'll find that the state will have to pay for the infrastructure. Rail transport is a hard game to make money in.

So you're a Galway man that wants to see the WRC extended all the way to Mayo? Why? Do you work in Castlebar or something? And McCarthy isn't picking on you either. Lose the chip on your western shoulder. He's picking on everyone everywhere.

And then there's the midleton line and its more expensive cost than the WRC. Thats probably because its designed better, built better and there for the longhaul as Cork CC planned for it over the course of 20 years. Its a pretty impressive modern surburban railway and has justification written all over it. The WRC stretch from Ennis to Athenry is a poorly restored railway, built on the cheap and retains all of its hilly meandering features that will result in slow speeds and a rural nature. Even the stations look like half hearted efforts with shelters built to accomodate the expected 6 people waiting on a train, if we're lucky.

The WRC is a con job. Promoted by eejits, sanctioned by bigger eejits and built by understudy eejits on strings. I love the west of Ireland. Ive worked there (Wow! can you believe an Easty actually worked in the west!), lived there and still visit regularly. Ive seen the changes and they've been positive changes. Public transport is still a disaster in the likes of Galway city, Sligo and Limerick city. But our Government has decided to spend 100 million on a railway that does virtually nothing for these commuter belts. For example if Tuam got a commuter rail service before Galways bus service was improved, I'd get sick with disgust. This is what amazes me about the likes of you. The basics in public transport are neglected beyond belief, while you pontificate along with the hill billy WOT lot about a pointless railway that rambles through fields and townlands, taking the longest route to get anywhere near a centre of popluation in true 19th century style, while advocating 21st century infrastructure! If you were representative of the West of Ireland (and you're not, thank ****) then the rest of us could be forgiven for laughing at all of you and your demented poor mouth attitude.

Every bone fide supporter of the WRC in the west is a disgraceful example to the area with the exception of many "helpful" eejits who signed a petition. The rest of its supporters are just trainspotters wet with nostalgia.

What a rant!
    I fully support the reopening of the western rail corridor. My house is on a stretch of land between the N17 and the western rail corridor. And I can tell you this part of the N17 is no motorway. It's a 2 lane road with double white lines for 3 miles either side of my gate on a series of bad bends just 3 miles north of Tubbercurry. There are no plans in place to upgrade this road. The NRA were to put a new road through my land and there is no investment plan for the foreseeable future. There is a serious amount of traffic and you are taking a chance getting out the gate each time. When you see forestry trucks passing in convoys down this road while a large piece of infrastructure lies unused and rotting less than a half a mile away and you are sitting waiting for 5 minutes to get across the road, then how can you tell me theres not enough business in the area to run this railroad.
    Here's another scenario, my Mother is undergoing cancer treatment at present, she has to travel to Galway by Bus, daily along with hundreds of other patients in the West and North West, a 150 mile round trip, since that F****r Harney shut down the facilty in Sligo General. If that line was open she'd be on it. If you had to travel from Sligo to Galway for Cancer treatment would you rather travel by Rail or by Bus?
    Do the people of the west of Ireland have to justify their reasons to the likes of you for every journey we wish to take and under what circumstances.
    What about the Dublin to Wexford line, theres a motorway running alongside it and you're not asking to close that line. The same can be said for all the major routes. We're not living in the past, reopening this line would be progress. It would provide a rail link to Knock International Airport. It would be the 1st airport in Ireland to have a rail link.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

The bus from Sligo takes you right to the door of the radiotherapy department, the train would dump you in the middle of town and you'd be left to make your own way from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

The bus from Sligo takes you right to the door of the radiotherapy department, the train would dump you in the middle of town and you'd be left to make your own way from there.

It is not quite relevant to the issue of the WRC but with the consolidation of hospitals it would be great if the was some interest taken in how people would get around. For instance a minibus might meet a train, bring people to a hospital where they would have appointments at that time. This type of coordination would make the situation easier, rather than the present lack of coordination where someone from a distant location is given a 9am appointment which they cannot reach.

ardmacha wrote: »
    It is not quite relevant to the issue of the WRC but with the consolidation of hospitals it would be great if the was some interest taken in how people would get around. For instance a minibus might meet a train, bring people to a hospital where they would have appointments at that time. This type of coordination would make the situation easier, rather than the present lack of coordination where someone from a distant location is given a 9am appointment which they cannot reach.

This is Ireland - Okay?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

rikki2 wrote: »
    What a rant!
    I fully support the reopening of the western rail corridor. My house is on a stretch of land between the N17 and the western rail corridor. And I can tell you this part of the N17 is no motorway. It's a 2 lane road with double white lines for 3 miles either side of my gate on a series of bad bends just 3 miles north of Tubbercurry. There are no plans in place to upgrade this road. The NRA were to put a new road through my land and there is no investment plan for the foreseeable future. There is a serious amount of traffic and you are taking a chance getting out the gate each time. When you see forestry trucks passing in convoys down this road while a large piece of infrastructure lies unused and rotting less than a half a mile away and you are sitting waiting for 5 minutes to get across the road, then how can you tell me theres not enough business in the area to run this railroad.
    If a better N17 was built reducing the traffic on the existing road would that not be better than a railway line that could only be used from certain stations at certain times decided by the staff of Irish rail?

What stations are the forests right beside that they lumber would not need to travel by truck?

How would you get to the nearest train station to your house? If you were to drive, wouldn't everyone else getting the train be driving there too so causing you a delay to get onto the N17.

What about the Dublin to Wexford line, theres a motorway running alongside it and you're not asking to close that line. The same can be said for all the major routes. We're not living in the past, reopening this line would be progress. It would provide a rail link to Knock International Airport. It would be the 1st airport in Ireland to have a rail link.

There is no motorway running along side the line to Wexford.
    There will be some motorway on the route after the end of this month.
    I'd agree that the line should be closed rather than wasting taxpayer money.
    The train to Arklow from Connolly was slower than driving during the evening rush hour several years ago, now Ashford and Rathnew have been bypassed, so I'd say the train is even slower. The bus service is also quicker than the train, runs more frequently, and uses coaches designed for long distance services rather than short distance commuter trains.

The Airport in Farranfore has a train station beside it.

Carawaystick are there any rail lines that you wouldn't close? What happened when you were a child, Santa not bring you a toy train so now nobody else should have one? Maybe you would be happier on the thread about motorway/bypass plaques? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Carawaystick are there any rail lines that you wouldn't close? What happened when you were a child, Santa not bring you a toy train so now nobody else should have one? Maybe you would be happier on the thread about motorway/bypass plaques? :p

I don't see why taxes should fund lightly used railway lines, offering poor service, while also funding better service, better frequency, shorter journey time bus services running mainly in parallel with them.

I also don't agree with taxes being used to prop up airlines flying routes also served by tax subsidised rail or bus links - these should be closed down too.

In particular I don't see why taxes should be used to build the wrc, when the only part of it open at present was closed for weeks after a bit of rain flooded it. surely any sane organisation would fix the already running section of line first?

I wouldn't close any rail line that has full services running on it at least once a week.

Lastly, there is no santa claus and there should be no tax funded toy trains. At least a good road allows citizens use it suits them, not when it suits the staff of Irish rail or Veola. It also allows private sector transport companies run services according to demand from the public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

What a rant!
    Here's another scenario, my Mother is undergoing cancer treatment at present, she has to travel to Galway by Bus, daily along with hundreds of other patients in the West and North West, a 150 mile round trip, since that F****r Harney shut down the facilty in Sligo General. If that line was open she'd be on it. If you had to travel from Sligo to Galway for Cancer treatment would you rather travel by Rail or by Bus?
    Do the people of the west of Ireland have to justify their reasons to the likes of you for every journey we wish to take and under what circumstances.

Im honoured to have generated such a reply.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

What a rant!
    Rikki2, I wouldn't be all that worried about whether it opens or not. But it isn't a line where you will have any speed on. I agree the West (like the East) should take all of the infrastructure it can get. It's just that particular line doesn't really seem to have anything going for it, from the way it's built to the amount of people that will use it. And rail isn't always as good a solution as you might think - my mother took the train with my son to Belfast from Dublin this morning, and it cost her €80 return according to a text I got from her half an hour ago, which is crazy money. She'll be getting the bus next time. Getting trains on the WRC won't be cheap, and the service will definitely not be fast

IIMII wrote: »
    Rikki2, I wouldn't be all that worried about whether it opens or not. But it isn't a line where you will have any speed on. I agree the West (like the East) should take all of the infrastructure it can get. It's just that particular line doesn't really seem to have anything going for it, from the way it's built to the amount of people that will use it. And rail isn't always as good a solution as you might think - my mother took the train with my son to Belfast from Dublin this morning, and it cost her €80 return according to a text I got from her half an hour ago, which is crazy money. She'll be getting the bus next time. Getting trains on the WRC won't be cheap, and the service will definitely not be fast

Got to disagree with you here - just because your mother was charged a ridiculous price for rail tickets to Belfast does not mean that rail is bad road is good. That sort of simplistic thinking is what has our railways in their present state. The rail journey to Belfast is a lot more comfortable than the bus alternative, even though journey times have improved greatly on the latter, and the ability to work on the train, walk about, go to the bar/toilet etc are all major advantages over the bus. Just because the inheritors of the GNR can't organise a piss-up in a brewery doesn't mean that rail is inferior to road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Got to disagree with you here - just because your mother was charged a ridiculous price for rail tickets to Belfast does not mean that rail is bad road is good. That sort of simplistic thinking is what has our railways in their present state. The rail journey to Belfast is a lot more comfortable than the bus alternative, even though journey times have improved greatly on the latter, and the ability to work on the train, walk about, go to the bar/toilet etc are all major advantages over the bus. Just because the inheritors of the GNR can't organise a piss-up in a brewery doesn't mean that rail is inferior to road.
    I think you're overplaying the advantages of 'Intercity' rail services on a small island like Ireland. For a start, very few journies will take over 2 or 2.5 hours once the motorways are all fully open. The bus may (and the car definitely will) hammer the train on journey times unless serious money is invested in the core network. THIS SHOULD HAPPEN! Dublin should be linked with at least 125mph capable tracks to Belfast and Cork. The non-core routes such as the Rosslare line cannot realistically be upgraded and would have to be rebuilt from scratch (they are too curvy) and given Wexford has a relatively small population, this would be an unnaceptable level of investment. The WRC is of course in this category too.

Secondly, the modern bus is pretty darn comfortable actually and given the roads are all new and smooth and much of the track is old and bumpy with unsympathetic rolling stock (DeDietrich stock on Enterprise/CAF sets on Cork) built for proper track (continental track!) the trains can be quite uncomfortable themselves.

The future of rail in Ireland is in commuter traffic first and foremost and IF (big if) the investment is made in the core network to bring it up to 125mph+ then that has a future too. Quaint tramways through nothing have no hope against modern roads. We should invest HEAVILY in rail-but only in places it has a real a and genuine chance to compete with roads. I am a huge fan of rail travel but recognise there are practical matters to deal with. Quite frankly most of the current rail infrastructure in Ireland would not exist in Germany. Even regional railways here have higher speed limits than intercity routes back home.

I believe one of the biggest obstacles is IE/CIE themselves. They are incompetent.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement