Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trinity Libary

Options
  • 13-02-2004 11:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Does trinity get a copy of every book published in Ireland or thats sold it Ireland?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

I think it's Ireland and UK.
    I remember hearing something about before.
    I'm sure someone else can confirm.

Killian

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Fence

TCD library is a legal deposit library.
    From the website "the Library is privileged in having the right to legal deposit of British and Irish publications"

So everything published in Britain & Ireland, course just coz they have a legal right to get it all doesn't mean they always do :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Christian

what exactly does published mean. Like it a book was first published in the US does it have to be published again here before it can be sold

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

If I remember correctly, Trinity has access to every book published in the UK and Ireland. Between Trinity and some other associate libraries (Oxford, being one, I believe) they actually have every book physically. So that'd be a certain percentage of them all are stored in Trinity's stacks (located in Santry). I did a test once, and found a load of obscure Doctor Who books out there, but not all of them. A Trinity student can request any of them I believe...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Bibliofemme

When they opened that new James Ussher library there was a lot of talk that reading cards would be eventually made available to the public (imagine!).

Has this ever happened? Does anyone know if anyone other than TCD students and graduates can apply to join it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Originally posted by Bibliofemme
    When they opened that new James Ussher library there was a lot of talk that reading cards would be eventually made available to the public (imagine!).

Has this ever happened? Does anyone know if anyone other than TCD students and graduates can apply to join it?

When I was there some years ago there used to be yellow evening access cards, like the blue/pink graduate readers cards. They were very rarely given to certain individuals such as students of other colleges who needed to use library facilities for research purposes. Members of the public who needed to do research could also apply for a pass for a few hours on Saturday mornings.

Undergraduate students from other colleges can apply for a temporary pass for a day or two with a letter from their own library. Staff and postgraduate degree students from institutions participating in the ALCID scheme can apply for a a card which will give them a years access. None of the above includes borrowing rights-unless things have changed drastically since I was there. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Originally posted by ixoy
    I did a test once, and found a load of obscure Doctor Who books out there, but not all of them. A Trinity student can request any of them I believe...
    You can also order Playboy magazine from Stacks each month when it comes out, and they'll bring it in and you can read it in the library. But you're not allowed to bring it outside the library, so I think photcopy cards are still only 2-3 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

Back when I was a student in the 1980s, when Playboy was illegal and the Gards used regularly to come along and disable the (Note 'THE') condom vending machine, we heard myths and tales of the famed 'Blue Room' which contained copies of all the delightful English smut which was banned from Irish book and magazine shelves at the time and which nobody, with some very rare exceptions, could actually read.

So it really does exist, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Fence

Well the Blue Room may not exist, but if you want anything banned you can send it to the censorship board. There are three members (I think), and if you find something (printed material) offensive you gotta send them a copy of it. They'll read it, sharing the one copy and decide.
    If it is a series, like playboy or something then you have to send them three recent copies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Yeh trinity gets a copy of every book published in Ireland and the UK.
    I love that they get magazines. I dont think ive ever paid for a copy of SFX.
    In case you're wondering i dont steal em, my mams a librarian!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Originally posted by snickerpuss

In case you're wondering i dont steal em, my mams a librarian!

Ah, so she steals them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

welll yeh pretty much.... :p

Advertisement