Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin sets record!!!!

• 14-02-2004 12:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭

from wwe.com

"Tickets went on sale Friday morning for the Tour of Defiance on Wednesday, May 26 at the Point Theatre in Dublin, Ireland – and sold out in six minutes! A second show, on May 27, was added, and tickets were made available at 4 p.m.; those sold out in just over two hours.

It’s the first time in WWE history that two events in the same building sold out in one day. More than $900,000 worth of tickets were purchased.

The Tour of Defiance is the RAW brand’s visit to Europe in late May. Triple H, Shawn Michaels, Ric Flair, Batista, Randy Orton, Rob Van Dam, Booker T, Chris Jericho and Christian are among the many Superstars who are scheduled to take part in the tour.

WWE hasn’t visited Dublin since 1995."

Why haven't they been here????? We kick as*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Pretty cool! That 6 minutes is an exaggeration, isn't it though?

Anyone noticed Goldberg is missing from that list, and from the ad in the Herald today? I guess that means he's definitely leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭Brian Houlihan

Thats pretty cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Hanza

YES! Oh my god.... If they made history here that meens their gonna come here all the time. Jesus, i dunno if i can go through all that anxiety every year to get tickets. Just didnt sleep Thursday night...

I told yall about the second date didnt I? There ya go no one believed me.... Im always right :D

Hanza

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭colin300

at least now they will come nearly everytime they go to england.
    i would love if they hired the RDS instead of the point then it would an amazing atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

Maybe the wwe will now sit up and take notice and make sure we get decent tv deals and stuff unlike the setanta situation. Barely anybody has the channel!!

Also, if they know they can sell loads of tickets they won't be doing two shows next time, they'll play somewhere huge and it will be amazing for one night!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭irishman_abroad

Nice idea but where? If croker wont let the soccer or rugby boys in I doubt theyll let wwe in.

Well they didn't seem to have a problem letting Michael Jackson or Tina Turner in!

Let's not go overboard here lads. Look at Britain. They go there two or three times a year, but they never play big stadiums or anything (bar Summerslam 92). They just play arenas, and the WWE is just as popular there as it is here.

The best you could hope for would be for them to keep coming back here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Originally posted by irishman_abroad
    Nice idea but where? If croker wont let the soccer or rugby boys in I doubt theyll let wwe in.

They also let American Football be played there, so I can't see WWE being refused. The only reason the GAA don't let soccer or rugby be played there is because they're seen as 'English' sports - something the GAA sadly oppose.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

if it were practical etc, id say the GAA would allow them to use croker...think about it, they could say the WWE is not a sport but a piece of entertainment (i think thats the argument they used for american football and the Ali fight years ago).

Im sure alot of fans wouldnt be happy to see wwe branded as something other than a sport, but, come on, it is abit like a soap at times, and if it means getting into a huge venue, who cares??

(please, dont hurt me oh big fans, I dont think a wrestling is/nt real argument is any use at the moment.....)

Flogen

• Advertisement

No need to be patronising, flogen. The fact is that the WWE themselves actually call their product 'sports entertainment'. They're well aware of the "soap opera" element.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 everythinglive

I think you have to remember that the Point only holds around 12,000 people so if you look at the record that way, 6 minutes isn't that impressive. The U2 gig at Slane Castle sold out 80,000 tickets in 30 minutes. Thats a record fot this country to be proud of!

It's not impressive from an Irish standpoint, it's impressive from a WWE standpoint as their (similarly sized) shows don't usually sell out in that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭NeroTheExtreme

Six minutes? Thats a load of crap, it was more like about 25 minutes, but for an event that hasn't seen the light of day here in almost ten years, it's still impressive enough.

Nero

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

i doubt they'd be interested in croker tbh, i remember reading an interview with vince last year sometime and he said he didnt favour open air events unless u could be guaranteed good weather. that hardly applies here. is the new landsdowne road stadium gonna be a dome? maybe there

Yet they held a major PPV in LONDON! The only city to be known for worse weather than Dublin. To quote Cousin Avi in Snatch "Bad food, worse weather, Mary f**kin' Poppin's! London!!"

Nero

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭The Phenom

Everythinglive it is a really good record for wrestling and wwe it shows them that there still is huge interest in wrestling in Ireland which will make them come here more often.

Lets hope so, and next time, book the RDS or something instead, The Point might have handled it in it's cartoon era ten years back, but here's hoping a lesson's learned.

Although from a Company standpoint, where else could they book without the risk of a major loss?

Double Edged Sword
    Nero

Originally posted by Exit
    No need to be patronising, flogen. The fact is that the WWE themselves actually call their product 'sports entertainment'. They're well aware of the "soap opera" element.

Yup, they have done for years, it was a way to screw the taxman in the mid-80s. More power to Vince I say.

Nero

The Phenom, it doesnt show that there is a huge fanbase of wrestling in this country. It shows that there is a small minority of very sad people supporting wrestling to the extent that they would actually pay good money to go and see people fighting! Wrestling is stupid, and even though no one here will agree with me, the majority of people in this country will, fact!

• Advertisement

Somehow your comment doesn't justify almost 12,000 seats, everythinglive. Bearing in mind that the last time i can recall the point selling out two nights in a row like that was the likes of Christina Aguilera and Justin Timberlike. I'm not into their music but it pretty much puts them in the same league.

Nero

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

Originally posted by everythinglive
    The Phenom, it doesnt show that there is a huge fanbase of wrestling in this country. It shows that there is a small minority of very sad people supporting wrestling to the extent that they would actually pay good money to go and see people fighting! Wrestling is stupid, and even though no one here will agree with me, the majority of people in this country will, fact!

if ur not gonna say something constructive in your post, y bother posting at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Hanza

Got maturity? :rolleyes:

Anyone that posts on these boards in such a childish sence as above does not diserve to be let near any computer what so ever. In case you havent noticed, this is a pro wrestling board, you'll find the anti wrestling threads in the Nazi/Evil Sh1t/Anti-Wrestling board.

Go f**k off there. We do NOT tolerate hatred towards wrestling here.

Hanza

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭The Phenom

Everythinglive are you stupid or something who gave you the f**cking right to come on here saying **** like that. This is a Pro Wrestling board its for people who like it not for people who think there mad and slag the sh*t of it. I think i speak for everybody on this board when i say F**K OFF

no

If you people cant accept the fact that wrestling isn't good any more, then your the childish ones. Note that i said "any more". It used to be good when the corprate ministry and the phenom were around but now its just really boring!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

That's not true, everythinglive. I have never really been big into the storylines in wrestling, thye are really just to keep your attention and make some sense between matches, as well as for a bit of a change from in ring action. I have always been much more interested in the actual matches, such as the Cruiserweight Title match, the No.1 Contender match and the WWE Championship match at No Way Out on Sunday. those 3 were stand out matches, very entertaining, in my opinion and worth watching.

Seems to me you just liked the storylines, which would kind of lower you to the level you're assuming us to be at. It is "childish" in my opinion if you don't appreciate wrestling because of the matches. It's the big storylines and characters that keep the kids entertained, you know, not the matches. The matches these days are often better than they used to be. Of course, not always. Velocity is actually a great show for good matches.

I hope you'll accept other people's opinions now.

Isn't the mod supposed to block anti- wrestling people looking for a fight???

Well if not he can keep whippin out the same old clichés but he's not gonna get anywhere especially on this board. I suggest everythinglive that you take your pubic clamour towards maturity somewhere else. And if you like WWE just admit it.

"It shows that there is a small minority of very sad people supporting wrestling to the extent that they would actually pay good money to go and see people fighting! Wrestling is stupid."

"It used to be good when the corprate ministry and the phenom were around but now its just really boring!"

Could you possibly be any more contradictory of yourself?? One minute it's 'stupid' and the next it 'used to be good'??

If your just too cool to like it anymore then that's fine, just don't concern yourself with it around here.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Bungalow Bill
    Isn't the mod supposed to block anti- wrestling people looking for a fight???

Well if not he can keep whippin out the same old clichés but he's not gonna get anywhere especially on this board. I suggest everythinglive that you take your pubic clamour towards maturity somewhere else. And if you like WWE just admit it.

Take a snapshot of this folks, as it'll probably be the only time myself and Bungalow Bill will agree on something. everythinglive, you're talking about when wrestling was good, the undertaker and the ministry et al. Wouldn't that be around the time of Wrestlemania XV in 1999? When his match was against the Boss Man in what is regarded to still be the worst Hell in The Cell match of all time? When Vince Russo was doing the booking? When the ratings they worked so hard for to get back in 1998 had plummeted to an all time low due to the dirt that was The Ministry?

everythinglive, do us all a favour and go back into cryogenic suspension or something.
    Nero

Advertisement