Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOL Rumour

• 14-02-2004 12:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭

Ok, so don't shoot me if this is wrong but..

I was out tonight with a guy who works in Iol, he said that there will be a product launched to compete with the lower end eircom offering, it will have the same data limts as the current offering.

Of more interest is the fact that the new 24:1 product is due to have an increased cap of 15GB a month!! he reckons that the price will be the same as currently if not reduced..

The lower end product will keep the current 8GB data limit and price will be under €40.. apparently there will be an announcement soon

in the meantime as I said don't shoot the messenger if it doesn't turn out that way!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

would be sweet , I ordered it about 2 weeks ago :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Dammit...i hardly use the 8GB cap as it is...what i want are FASTER DOWNLOADS!!!!
    768/128 would be spot on...static IP, 24:1 ratio for the same price as we're paying now...that would be the dogs bollocks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭captainpat

Why do we need faster download speeds than 512 kbps? I have had eircom for nearly two years, and now ntl (600 kbps) but none give fast downloads. Not the service fault, just that the sources I use are slow. Where are the fast download sources (any reason) which could justify paying more money to access?

I have been offered 1 mbps from NTL, and am trying to convince myself it will give a benefit over 600 kbps.

Is there really good stuff out there which will benefit from fast connections? Please give me a few suggestions. I am fed up with Kazaa lite at present, so am open to advice. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Two words for you CaptainPat:

Bit Torrent. Knocks the sock off Kazaa, though it has it's own limitations. Still restricted to the speed of the people you are downloading from.

I too am on NTL's 600 service and I'm having a hard time figuring out what I could do with 1 meg that I can't do with 600. I know it's only an extra €2.50 a week but 66% extra speed ain't gonna make downloading an instantaneous affair either. Yahoo BB in Japan with 11 megs, now that would be different!

I do still giggle at the cappees lusting after >8gig caps though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

ok, so if i sign up for the bundle deal and get their current product at €40 as part of said deal, what package will I be on if/when the new one is released?

Will i stick to the 8gb deal and thus make no saving through bundling up, or will i be switched to the new 15gb deal and still pay €40??

ah, sure I think i'll sign up anyway...

Flogen

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

Flogen, just a word of warning. I read in the paper in the last day or two a quote from the Esat CEO, advising all customers to wait until the end of the month before ordering to avail of the best deal. He said that over the next week or two the various ISP's will be restructuring their pricing and special offers. Just thought I'd mention it, as you might get a better deal by holding off for a week or so.

cheers for that, but that puts me in a bit of a bind....

If i wait until the end of the month the free installation etc deal wil be gone.... they could extend it, but i doubt it.... and its a big chunk of money to have to pay (especially if there arent any offers that are worth it and i end up with the same deal)

ahh well, i'll just have to mull it over.

thanks again,

Flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Ronaldo7

So let me get this str8, for those of us who have the current iol 8bg cap etc, we wont avail of this offer when they bring it out?

*That is if this rumous is true...*

ok, just off the phone with an IOL rep and he said the following:
    no definite news/details on a new deal, however they were told that when asked about eircoms new deal, they were to say that SOMETHING was in the pipeline, but nothing else...
    I told him that i would sign up for the €40 talk and surf deal if i could be assured that I wouldnt miss out on any future deals etc, and he said that any price drop/cap increase would be given to existing customers too, he pointed out that in Jan any IOL users who had esat phone lines got the BB price drop, not just the new ones.

So i think I'll go ahead and sign up, and as is mentioned in a seperate eircom thread, most companies will allow you to change deals, most for free too.

what interested me most was while wating for the call to go through they had one of those recorded ads for the talk and surf deal, and it mentioned that 'existing customers will be contacted in Feb. about their very special discount'. that would lead me to believe that they have a new deal planned for late feb/march and the talk and surf peeps will be given it too.

Flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by flogen
    ok, so if i sign up for the bundle deal and get their current product at €40 as part of said deal, what package will I be on if/when the new one is released?

Will i stick to the 8gb deal and thus make no saving through bundling up, or will i be switched to the new 15gb deal and still pay €40??
    Flogen, ESAT have just gotten these details now as well, so they haven't had time to formulate a response. (Unlike oreillycoms retail arm, who've been involved in the negotiations all along). It's just another example of anti-competitive practices by oreillycom that the regulator won't to anything about.

• Advertisement

with all due respect, how do you know when they found out??

anyway, a cheaper package has been on the table for a month or so now, so Im sure esat have planned out what they could offer, maybe had afew 'what if' ideas etc, now that eircoms package has been confirmed they can start to implement the most interesting responce, which is why they are afew weeks behind.

For all I know, eircom may have been obliged to inform the competition of their price drop, given that it effects the wholesale value too

Flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by flogen
    with all due respect, how do you know when they found out??
    Because oreillycom only made the precise details of what products they plan to offer public yesterday. Do you honestly think that oreillycom are telling their competitors stuff "in private" before they make it public knowledge?
    anyway, a cheaper package has been on the table for a month or so now, so Im sure esat have planned out what they could offer, maybe had afew 'what if' ideas etc, now that eircoms package has been confirmed they can start to implement the most interesting responce, which is why they are afew weeks behind.
    The actual price has been public knowledge for some time, because it needed regulatory approvel. The actual details of what that covered weren't available until now. They were posted after close of business on a Friday night. The key change is the contention ratio, but it turns out that the improved contention ratio service costs the same as the existing product. Therefore you can either get a price cut, or an increased cap, not both (in very broad terms).
    For all I know, eircom may have been obliged to inform the competition of their price drop, given that it effects the wholesale value too
    What do you think they did last night? How many other companies do you know who publish their wholesale prices? The details weren't published last night for your benefit or mine. That's how oreillycom informs the competition of their prices.

well actually i found the wholesale price on rte text when the proposed price drop was announced, as Im sure many others did.
    Of course no businesses are going to give away details where they dont have to, but perhaps they HAD to as regulation, maybe esat/utv were given details last week, and the consumer found out last night.

anyway, esat and utv were expecting some kind of deal change, and Im sure they had a pretty good idea as to what that would be, and so are/were prepared. besides, Im sure they can make up a competitive new deal in the space of 2 weeks, thats their job as competition, even if they did only find out last night. its just a matter of working out what price margin they can afford, what cap they can offer, and what would be the best way to undercut eircom and others. the contention ratio, as was pointed out, has been decided for them, so they dont have to deal with that.
    Id say theyve decided their new deals by monday at the latest

Flogen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Originally posted by Iago
    Of more interest is the fact that the new 24:1 product is due to have an increased cap of 15GB a month!! he reckons that the price will be the same as currently if not reduced..
    15GB?? - not good enough - do you know if the business offers are coming down in price? 512/256, 24:1, no cap, static IP 55-60euros a month incl VAT, that what I'm looking for; from ESAT, that is, moving to another supplier could be out of the question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by OfflerCrocGod
    512/256, 24:1, no cap, static IP 55-60euros a month incl VAT, that what I'm looking for; from ESAT, that is, moving to another supplier could be out of the question.

ahahahha dream on, you can't get 24:1 uncapped dsl for that price in the UK even....lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Originally posted by eth0_
    ahahahha dream on, you can't get 24:1 uncapped dsl for that price in the UK even....lol
    Maa the contention is not that important it's the cap that I hate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

Anyone heard anything in regard ns. I'm waiting to get it installed on fri but now if the iol offer goes thru it make ns completely crap.
    I has asked them but they told me that it would prob be april or may before they do anything? Anyone have anything else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

I'm waiting to get it installed on fri but now if the iol offer goes thru it make ns completely crap.
    It's still too early for any of the competitors to announce their counter packages. This IOL package is only speculation so far. There's no point in comparing the new packages that haven't been announced. I'm sure IOL, UTV, NS and 365Hosting are all working on new offerings now that the wholesale prices have dropped.
    I has asked them but they told me that it would prob be april or may before they do anything?
    I would be very suprised if people answering phones had any information about a new package that has only been in the pipeline for a day or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭neXus9

You could have clearer streams of media. The new winamp lets you look at tv and listen to the radio.

Downloading movies would be less of a hassle (you could watch it while it's downloading (divx=7 meg a minute, 1 meg line=112kb/s).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

The UTV Clicksilve is now 38 something a month. A guy in work is on it and he prebill thing shows 38 since thursday night.
    The person from ns rand me about the domain so I just asked then. I wasnt too pushed because come the summer I planning on upgrading to a fully uncapped service. Eircom's business offer is actually starting to look quite good:(

• Advertisement
Advertisement