Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O'Connell Street Trees

• 14-02-2004 12:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,457 ✭✭✭✭

A year on and trees are right up the capital's street
    Friday, 13th February, 2004
    Treacy Hogan Environment Correspondent

TREES sprang up on Dublin's O'Connell Street yesterday - a year after older varieties were controversially cut down as part of a multi-million euro rejuvenation of the jaded and congested main thoroughfare.

Small 'cropped' lime trees and 25-year-old birch and rowan trees were planted yesterday, the first of 50 which will grace the new central plaza on O'Connell Street.

Four permanent book kiosks have also been installed on Grattan Bridge, which crosses the Liffey at Capel Street, with the city council rejecting suggestions that they spoil the view along the full length of the river.

The council insisted the new book kiosks, which open on St Patrick's Day, will enhance the city and make the bridge and the river places to visit rather than to pass by.

Jim Barrett, city architect, said that while the kiosks had been criticised as visually obtrusive, he believed they work very well and will be a huge bonus for the city.

"They will link up with the boardwalk. It will make the river a place to go rather than a place to cross. They are looking quite stark at the moment but they will be lit up by slender lighting masts and special awnings," he said. The shops will be owned by the council but franchised out to operators.

"They will bring vital activity back to the river," added Mr Barrett.

Work also started yesterday on extending the millennium boardwalk from O'Connell Bridge to Butt Bridge, at Liberty Hall, with workmen positioned in special floating pontoons in the River Liffey. The project is expected to finish by July.

O'Connell Street has resembled a construction site for the past year with pedestrians facing potholes, temporary crossings and broken footpaths. The dangers were the result of Luas and council works.

Paul Moloney, O'Connell Street project director, said yesterday that the planting of the trees was very exciting. "We cut down old trees but we've replaced them with vibrant new trees with great flowering and colour and there are more of them," he said.

The building of the new plaza square opposite the GPO involved laying down thousands of granite square in a variety of colours.

Mr Moloney said the new footpaths on the street will be double their current width while traffic will continue to be restricted to two lanes in each direction.

The central plaza will have coffee and flower shops as well as ticket sales for the Luas trams.

Mr Moloney said it was expected that work on the first half of the street, south of the Spire to O'Connell Bridge, will be finished by May 1. The work from the Spire to Parnell Street is expected to be completed in 2005 with new footpaths, trees and central plaza.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

Work also started yesterday on extending the millennium boardwalk from O'Connell Bridge to Butt Bridge, at Liberty Hall, with workmen positioned in special floating pontoons in the River Liffey. The project is expected to finish by July.

I was wondering what the hell the floating pontoons where for, I am delighted,
    the Veranda IMHO is one of the most important public projects in the city. Most people can take or leave the Spire (why oh why is it taking so long to fix the light), but I think most will agree that the Veranda was truely inspired idea, extending it
    as far as Butt bridge is an excellant project. Heading East after Butt bridge, there is a large riverside pavement, so there will be no need to extend any further.

I personally would have positioned the book stalls on the Veranda itself, but I still reckon they are a great idea, they work so well in other cities. Have we thought about lunch and toliet facilities for those on the stalls I wonder, I hope so ....

Now it only we could clean the street proparily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,457 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If only they would connect the "veranda" to the various bridges, so as to not have a pinch point at each bridge.

They also plan a bridge from Hawkins Street to Marlborough Street.

I know what you mean, it would be impossible to elminate the pinch point, on some of the bridges, like the h'apenny bridge, O'Connell bridge etc, without demolishing some of the majesitic pillars that very much part of the makeup the bridge .... I don't really know what else you could do ....
    They also plan a bridge from Hawkins Street to Marlborough Street.

Cool, hopefully the people building the veranda know this ...
    The more bridges the better IMHO ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,457 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by MDR
    I know what you mean, it would be impossible to elminate the pinch point, on some of the bridges, like the h'apenny bridge, O'Connell bridge etc, without demolishing some of the majesitic pillars that very much part of the makeup the bridge .... I don't really know what else you could do ....
    Well they already changed the abutments on the Ha'penny Bridge. Removing a single section of the parapet on O'Connell bridge wouln't affect it that much. If you wanted it could be repositioned on the bridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Pardon my ignorance, but what's a book kiosk?

• Advertisement

open air book sellers, like along the Seine in Paris,
    like the coffee kiosks that are already there,
    accept with books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

I like it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

any one if there are any pics online? - of the trees and kiosks?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

I just hope that when O'Connell street is finished and is looking marvelous that it stays that way and the Council don't let the Scum Bags ruin it for everyone. Quirkys should be moved from O'Connell street for a start as it only attracts Scum these days and is bad for the regeneration of the street. Same goes for some of the other shop fronts.

i hope they invest in a couple of power hoses and keep the f£cking thing clean ...

• Advertisement
Advertisement