Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man u vs Man City (contains scores)

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

Why is Rio Ferdinand now a top class defender?

Before he was banned for missing the test he played the best football since joining utd. Maybe 4-5 games. Prior to that he wasnt a 35m player. Yet when he is out of the side everyone is saying that he is great. He isnt.

Utd never had the best defensive record in the premiership muppet, they are always prone to concede goals unlike Arsenal & Chelsea.

Finally i wanted to ask another question. Do any true mancunians believe that they now miss a certain Mr Beckham? Its times like this that senor beckham would pop up and score goals to win games, or maybe make that decisive 50 yard pass.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Originally posted by midget lord
    Utd never had the best defensive record in the premiership muppet, they are always prone to concede goals unlike Arsenal & Chelsea.
    Who had the best defensive record last season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Originally posted by Thanx 4 The Fish

Fair play to you Ath an ri, good to see a fan not afraid to say what he thinks no matter what other muppets may say.

Yeah Fair play to you ath an ri for saying United is falling apart after a couple of bad results but anyone that disagree with your gross over exaggeration in this discussion forum is a Muppet. :D

Nice one even for here.:D :D:D
    I will admit my comment may have been a bit strong but UTD are defenatly not as good defensivly as they were with Rio. If everyone pretended they were then we may as well hand the title over to Arsenal now cause it's not true.

I would agree with you there but as i said to say Utd is Falling apart is a gross over exageration IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

Before he was banned for missing the test he played the best football since joining utd. Maybe 4-5 games. Prior to that he wasnt a 35m player. Yet when he is out of the side everyone is saying that he is great. He isnt.

Utd never had the best defensive record in the premiership muppet

Rio was always a top class defender, I don't think anyone ever disagreed with that not even the most dedicated ABU. What people quiet rightly argued was wether or not he was worth 30 million.

I think it is prettyt obvious, even if Rio wasn't at his best, that he was a good organiser of the defence. Last year was proof. Utd had one of the top 3 defences in the premiership.

And actually Utd had the best defensive record for most of this season prior to Christmas. And they have also got the best defensive record in the the Champions Leagus currently. The fact that Utd have conceded 9 goals since Rio was taken off against wolves is evidence that he was a top class player.

Finally the reason why people are only saying that he is 'great' now that he is missing is because sometimes you do not realise how good a player is until he is missing from the team. Take Roy Keane for example. While he does contributed enormously from play his true worth is only ever reflected when he is not playing.
    Posted by Muppet
    I would agree with you there but as i said to say Utd is Falling apart is a gross over exageration IMHO

I don't agree that it was a 'gross over exageration' maybe a slight amplification of the truth but the are definately struggling big time at the back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Finally i wanted to ask another question. Do any true mancunians believe that they now miss a certain Mr Beckham? Its times like this that senor beckham would pop up and score goals to win games, or maybe make that decisive 50 yard pass.

to manu fans we could see he was a class defender, not the best in the world or anything. himself and silvestre as a combination were a great defensive unit and had everything you wanted, pace, composure, height, strength. abu's were always reminding us of that 30m price tag anytime rio would slip up or utd's defence would cost them a game.

now, they realise how valuable he actually is because utd are lost without him.

as for beckham, yes we miss his free kicks and corners. however ronaldo is unique and i'd say most manu fans would be willing to give him that right flank. ronaldo can get past players with ease and is a pretty good crosser too. doesnt switch the play too often like becks does.

plus he's got time on his side, playing for portugal at international level should give him that experience and he lacks.

Originally posted by smemon
    himself and silvestre as a combination were a great defensive unit and had everything you wanted, pace, composure, height, strength.

you have hit the nail on the head there smemon. Its the solidity of the defensive unit thats key, so if you remove one of the cornerstones of that unit you will disrupt the lot. I personally think silvestre is a better CB than rio, as he is of lesser profile, smilar to the henchoz hyypia situation with liverpool. If silvestre was banned instead of rio i think you see a bigger gap in the utd defence. remember that finding faults in rio's performance for ABU's is the same as exaggerating his ability to justify his hefty pricetag.
    as for beckham, yes we miss his free kicks and corners. however ronaldo is unique and i'd say most manu fans would be willing to give him that right flank. ronaldo can get past players with ease and is a pretty good crosser too. doesnt switch the play too often like becks does.

To say ronaldo is unique is true, i know of no other player that can do so many stepovers in a single match!!! He is on a stepover diet at the moment, so maybe that lunging tackle will stay away for the minute. IMO utd fans are again trying to justify this transfer, one piece of skill per game is not enough guys, remeber utd paid a lot of money for this guy and he has made his name by doing stepovers and dives. What about antony le tallec at liverpool a snip at the price and fitting in nicely to a liverpool side in pretty poor form.
    plus he's got time on his side, playing for portugal at international level should give him that experience and he lacks. [/B]

Agreed. he will only improve, not too much mehopes!!!

A quick look at united defensive record before and after his supension this year and uniteds defensive record last season indicate you are wrong and Rio is indeed a class defender. Considering it takes most player a while to settle after a move Rio was showing signs lately of proving hois worth. Most of those saying Rio is not a class defender lose all objectivity when they see a United Jersey and so are not worth listening to..

Your first point has alread been answered and I,ve news for you, all teams concede goals.

IMO united and RVN in particular does miss Beckhams pin point passing (any team would) but Christiano Ronald is playing well in that positiion and while he is not yeat as infleuental to united as Becks was if he continues to develop and improve he will more that replace becks which is saying something.

I don't agree that it was a 'gross over exageration' maybe a slight amplification of the truth

We'll have to agree to differ on that so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭elbow316

The thing with Rio Ferdinand is that he always looked like a classy style of defender, right back to West ham...he was always prone to really bad lapses in concentration.
    As soon as all the news broke about the ban, he seemed to become "Angrier" or something on the pitch and was concentrating 100% - and looked a far better defender for it.
    It'll be interesting to see which Rio comes back after the ban, if its the one who played those last half-dozen games then United have got a defender and possibly a leader in defense, otherwise they are gonna have to splash out.

Originally posted by The Muppet
    A quick look at united defensive record before and after his supension this year and uniteds defensive record last season indicate you are wrong and Rio is indeed a class defender.

so rio is solely resposible for utd's defensive record now?

Your first point has alread been answered and I,ve news for you, all teams concede goals.

I fail to see the relevance of this point, but thanks for your enlightened insight.

• Advertisement

so rio is solely resposible for utd's defensive record now?

Who said that? United usually play 4 defenders Rio was part of taht very sucesful unit up to his suspension.

I fail to see the relevance of this point, but thanks for your enlightened insight.[/B]

Dont mention it but as seem to have difficulty remembering your own post heres the relevance for you.

Who said that? United usually play 4 defenders Rio was part of taht very sucesful unit up to his suspension.

you said it my good man
    A quick look at united defensive record before and after his supension this year and uniteds defensive record last season indicate you are wrong and Rio is indeed a class defender.

By the above post you are indicating that rio is solely responsible for the utds leaking goals. As i have already said and which you now say above it was the breaking up of the defensive unit that was the problem not just the loss of ferdinand. I have also already said that IMO the loss of silvestre would be a bigger loss than the loss on Rio.

Dont mention it but as seem to have difficulty remembering your own post heres the relevance for you.

Saying "I have news for you, every team concedes goals" is to assume that i am some sort of pubescent idiot, believe me muppet i know most teams concede goals, something utd have done a lot of over the last few games and even with rio in the side are more liabile at the back then there two closest rivals. That was my point and no childish ripostes will prove it otherwise.

By the above post you are indicating that rio is solely responsible for the utds leaking goals. As i have already said and which you now say above it was the breaking up of the defensive unit that was the problem not just the loss of ferdinand. I have also already said that IMO the loss of silvestre would be a bigger loss than the loss on Rio.

You mis interpreted my post I never indicate that united had a one man defence. I clarified my position in my last post .

Saying "I have news for you, every team concedes goals" is to assume that i am some sort of pubescent idiot, believe me muppet i know most teams concede goals,

I just thought you were unsure so I pointed out the obvious just in case.

If I had been aware you were a Liverpool supporter at the time I would have known it was unnecessary.:D

ok, you used a smilie ;)

Nice to have a football discussion, better then Balance sheets at least!!!!

BTW, im not gonna disect your last post, i will just leave it at that.

Advertisement