Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need sata drive recovery help!!!

• 14-02-2004 2:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

I began a thread "help - win xp pro problem!!" in operatings system forum and I need some serious professional expertise. I basically flashed my motherboard a few days ago and haven't been able to start windows since. I brought it to a computer shop who not only couldn't fix my windows problem, but couldnt even access my sata drives to recover my files.

More details in the OS forum, but if somebody thinks its posssible recover my data, I would like to employ them to do this for me. Its 5 months thesis work that I can't afford to lose!! I am based in the city centre.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

Can't help you,

but 5 months work and you didn't have it backed up???

Not trying to rub it in but that should stand as a lesson to you and everybody else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 studiomga

No rubbing in required - I know i've messed up. I had ordered a dvd burner last week to that very task.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Almost all drive data is recoverable even if deleated providing that the platters aren't pysically damaged.

Can't help you on what specifically is wrong but you will be able to recover your data. If you can't find anyone to do it for you there are companys that will do it for you and send it back to you on disk but it's probably only a minor problem that someone here can help you with.

BloodBath

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,654 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Not to worry just yet. Flash your motherboard's BIOS with the version that was on it before and you should be grand :)

You should have saved the old version when you flashed, but if you didn't, you should be able to download it from the motherboard manufacturer's site

Just flashed it again with the latest update - still no luck! Is anybody out there interested in fixing this problem for me? PM me!! Negotiate a price! I'm based in the Dublin city centre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

have you tried using Knoppixknoppix to access hdd i have used this several times to access the hdd when win crashes and will not start back up. wort a try :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally posted by studiomga
    Just flashed it again with the latest update - still no luck!
    What has luck got to do with it ?
    Originally posted by Unkel
    Not to worry just yet. Flash your motherboard's BIOS with the version that was on it before and you should be grand

The one nice thing about computers is that in a lot of cases you can go BACK to where you were. I've flashed a motherboard to read large drives - but the cache stopped working then - so simply flashed back.
    -many flash utils allow you to grab a copy of the current version

So flash BACK to the earlier version first. - It's not a bad idea to write down the settings of the drive if you can see them in the BIOS.

I don't think I'm able to fix this problem myself - I could make the situation worse. Could anybody reccommend a shop or company in the city-centre (Dublin) that might be able to fix this problem for me? I can't afford to lose the info and I need to get it back as soon as I can.

Or again, is anybody out there interested in fixing it for me? PM me

Advertisement