Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

credit card refund problem

Options
  • 14-02-2004 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭

I recently bought tickets from ticketmaster in australia. They mad a mess and charged me for 5 transactions instead of just one transaction. The charged me and extra 370.48. I got in touch with them and told them of their mistake. They were very nice about and refunded me the money to my credit card. Here comes the problem... between the 2 days (charging me and refunding me) the exchange rate of the aussie dollar dropped against the Euro and the refund on my credit card amounted to 352.20. This means that I am out of pocket by 18.28. Is there any way I can get this money back as none of this was my fault. Is the credit card company the people to talk to??

any advise greatly appreciated.

thanks
    B

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

That's interesting ... you could have gotten lucky on it as well and made a little profit on it.

I would contact the people in ticketmaster australia again and let them know what happened. And ask them for a further refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

I could contact ticketmaster in oz but in their eyes they have refunded me the full amount and how are they to guess what amount to top up my refund to the full amount as different credit cards charge different exhange rates on different days..

my head hurts thinking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It's the credit card company who have "profited" and it is them you should deal with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It wouldn't matter as the money is refunded at the buying in rate for the aussie dollar.

So say even if ticketmaster Oz debited the money at 1pm and refunded you at 1.05pm the same day you would still loose as the buying and selling exchange rates are very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

You purchased in AU dollars, you were refunded in AU dollars, the 'problem' isn't with ticketmaster (for once, heh). It's just one of those things, I don't think there's anything you can do to make up the 18 euro, i'd just chalk it up to experience...It would be nice for TM to 'do the right thing' and give you the extra money back as it was (according to you) their fault you were charged 5 times..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

Similar thing happened to me with some flights a few years ago, I just dealt with the credit card company and was refunded the full amount I had been charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

I'm just off the phone to the credit card company, v nice bunch of folks altogether. They are refunding me the difference no questions asked....

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by bovril
    v nice bunch of folks altogether
    Liar! ;)

Advertisement