Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modem acting the prick in my new pc...

Options
  • 14-02-2004 4:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭

this has been wrecking my head for the past few days.

i've stuck the modem from an old pc (dell demension 2200) into my new one (abit nf7 v2, athlon 2500+)
    it worked perfectly in the old computer with the same os & drivers that i'm using on this one, however, it only ever seems to connect at between 22k & 38k, it always connected between 38 & 40 (42 recently) on the old pc.
    i've tried various isp's, its the same thing with each.

thats not all however... even if its connected at 38k, i still rarely get total download speeds that are above 2kbps.
    and i'm constantly getting timed out errors whilst surfing.

os is xp pro & the modem is a conexant yoke (HSF V92 RTAD Speakerphone PCI)
    like i said, it worked perfectly on the other pc with the same os & drivers... i just can't figure out why its performing like this in my new rig:(

/edit
    oh yeah, the first time i tried using the modem, i'd stuck it into the pc after the installation of win xp... after getting sick of not being able to fix it, i tried formatting & reinstalling xp with the modem in the pc.... still no joy =/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

bleh!

this all seems to be related to the nforce chipset drivers...
    went back to a ghost of xp that i'd made after installing sp1 & before installing said drivers.
    seems to be working alright now:rolleyes:
    should be easy to get to the root of from here on in.

Advertisement