Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD ATHLON into a Dell 4300 case

• 14-02-2004 5:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

As the above says, i have a Dell 4300 case, and was gonna put into it an amd board & athlon chip. The only problem i seem to have is connecting up the front on/off switch to the board.. The front panel also has two usb port's and a speaker port that i am not really that bothered about.
    Has anyone ever attempted this before with success?:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Dont know anyone who has done this, but modern dell cases are totally non-standard. I know my folks' old 4300 has a weird cable that connects the front USB ports and headphone/mic jacks all together to the board, a weird-ass PSU that only works with dell boards (non-standard connector), and most of these dell cases generally don't fit a standard ATX psu properly. Does yours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 THE_INSTALLER

Well i have encountered the psu problem, but all it need's is a little bit of rewireing to solve it sa I have seen other's do.
    My amd board wont fit in it either unless i screw a few more holes in the case either wich i have seen done before.
    As you have said yourself, the front panel does have "weird" connector's. i dont really care for the speakerjack or usb port's, once i am able to turn it on & off from the front I do not really care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

How did you end up with a Dell case anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

be easier just to buy a cheap case ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,654 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    How did you end up with a Dell case anyway?

Just wondering that myself - did the old mobo die out of warranty?
    Originally posted by astrofool
    be easier just to buy a cheap case ?

Indeed

• Advertisement

I've one here I'll sell you for €30 with a 300w PSU :D

It was my main pc for a while until the motherboard clapped out:(
    So the only good part of it left is the case, psu,harddrive & cd-rw/dvd. I just wanted try out an amd board in it cause i have one with a chip n' all. I would be interested in that case ricardo..........what county are you in?;)

Dublin Ireland, why where are you?

im here in co. laois. you are hardly on the southside are you, because i will be up around there during next week, i could meet up with you.
    How fresh is the case?

Originally posted by THE_INSTALLER
    im here in co. laois. you are hardly on the southside are you, because i will be up around there during next week, i could meet up with you.
    How fresh is the case?

No more northside/westside. Bought about a month a go in Maplins just to test some hardware. Finished with it now. Probably very awkward to meet up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement