Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I keep disconnect from Eircom BB when I upload files

• 14-02-2004 5:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭

I have been using Eircom i-stream solo since it was launched in June 2002. Everything was fine until about 8-9 months ago. At that time, my BB keeps disconnecting. So I called Eircom and they said that there was something wrong with the exchange and is getting fixed. Everything should be fine in a day or two. That was 8-9 months ago. Until now, whenever I upload huge files I get disconnected. However, there's no patter to how big the file before I get disconected or even the lenght of time. I could go for a day without disconnecting or it keeps disconnecting every hour. I have used several programs such as p2p, ftps, irc, etc etc but the effect has always been the same. As soon as I upload files, I should be prepared to get disconected. I think everytime I get disconnected it say that the connection was terminated (i'm not sure, U would guess after so many times I got disconnected that I would actualy remember it :)). Once I get disconnected, I cant just redial. It wont connect me. I have to reboot my pc and then only I will be able to connect back again. I have spoke to Eircom about this numerous times and they keep saying that everything is fine from their end, which I am not sure I would believe. The thing is I'm afraid that it could also me my pc fault.

So does anyone else have the same problem as I do? Anyone knows how to fix it? I live in Rathmines by the way and I am using Alcatel Speedtouch dsl modem.

Thanks in advance.

-= neokenzo =-

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

hmm,
    IS your modem connected to your computer by usb?

If it is, how much ram does your computer have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

Yes its connected by USB and I have 256MB Ram.
    I'm also using XP Pro with SP1, PIII 700Mhz.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Thats your problem as far as I know.
    using usb, you don't seem to have much ram either
    I used to have the exzact same problem with I had a 800mhz with 256ram uploading files,
    its something to do with when you're uploading a lot of buffer gets used and your ram get used up, hence you get disconnted.
    and oyu have to restart reset it all.
    can you not get an ethernet network card for your modem?
    I did that and it saved me all the hassle, tis also better pings for games too as it doens't hang on your cpu to do the work, they only cost a tenner or so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

A P3-700 is more than enough to run a USB DSL momo.I have a P3-650 Acer Travelmate laptop (192mb Ram) powering a Fujitsu FDX310 (same Alcatel chipset) USB momo , running 24/7 as a router/access point and it rarely if ever drops the line (virtually allways ISP issues).Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

Allthough if your constantly leeching on a P2P network :rolleyes: with lots of threads running , it could easily drop the line.Then again , a lot of the cheaper hardware routers have same issues.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Lenny
    Thats your problem as far as I know.
    using usb, you don't seem to have much ram either
    I used to have the exzact same problem with I had a 800mhz with 256ram uploading files,
    its something to do with when you're uploading a lot of buffer gets used and your ram get used up, hence you get disconnted.
    and oyu have to restart reset it all.
    can you not get an ethernet network card for your modem?
    I did that and it saved me all the hassle, tis also better pings for games too as it doens't hang on your cpu to do the work, they only cost a tenner or so

I had my suspicion about somethign like that. I'm getting a new pc in a couple of weeks so I'll see whether the problem still persist!

Thank you.

Well, no matter what stats he has, I'm just explaining that I had the same problem with p2p with my old computer, just get a network card for now, only costs a tenner an will give yea a bit of pleasure while yea wait for the net comp!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

But I have the Ethernet Alcatel modem, maybe its a bug with the Alcatel modems. (Assuming yours is also Alcatel)
    Or maybe its just a problem with the early ones they gave out for the trial.
    As for the PC specs, its not the PC, 256MB of memory is loads and a PIII-700 should have no problems.
    Personally I'll probably just buy a new modem myself.
    I tried updating the firmware and since I got the modem for free I can't really complain to Eircom about it.

Originally posted by bricks
    I tried updating the firmware and since I got the modem for free I can't really complain to Eircom about it.

I've updated to the latest firmware but still having the problem.

So you think it is the modem? Even if I bought a new PC, I would still have the same problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

I recently came across this article on The Register - I don't know if it might be relevant to the problem that you describe, but it might be worth looking into:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/archive/24376.htmlWin-XP kills Verizon DSL

• Advertisement
Advertisement