Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

point to point network problemo

Options
  • 14-02-2004 7:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

hi guys whats up
    got a little problem here that i need a bit of help with so if any of ye can shed some light on this much appreciated

i have this point to point lan set up at home and usually it works fine
    im using a CAT 5 cable

then i went to a LAN and the lads there started using Leech FTP and i changed my IP address to a fixed one so others could access me

Everything worked fine as we played and leeched but when i got home i found that when i connected up my LAN machine to my older pc the network didnt work

The little icon comes up alright on one of them saying its connected and 100 packets sent but none refused

ive tried all the usual computer detection methods such as find computer
    leech FTP and through my network places no cigar on the other machine

Im using windows 2000 on both machines and have not had any prior networking problems

im pretty sure its something to do with fixing my IP address
    but i dont know how to correct this problem

anyway can anyone give me a hand ?
    thanks lads

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Tommygib

Have you tried ping? Goto to DOS command and ping the other computer.

Also at the DOS command on each machine check the ip address and subnet mast of each machine using ipconfig /all. This will tell you if both machines are on the network and subnet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

it sounds like its still set to assign static , just change it back to use DHCP

well it would be handy knowing the os but 2000/xp have same setup

start > control panel > network

right click on lan connection > go to properties

then highlight the tcp/ip settings under the second tab, go to properties

then choose assign ip automatically etc..

Advertisement