Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underhand line failure?

• 14-02-2004 7:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

I've had Eircom's Broadband for quite some time up until just before christmas where I took up IOL's special offer of free install and modem as it involved getting a bigger cap at a slightly cheaper price. I went ahead and cancelled Eircom's service and after the cancellation was confirmed I signed up for IOL BB. Two or three weeks later I got a call from IOL saying that there was a problem and to contact Eircom as to get a cancellation number. I did that, gave it to the people at IOL and they said they'd proceed with the order. I then got a call a week after that to tell me that they couldn't go through with the order since apparently my line failed Eircom's line test. Considering the fact that I had broadband for months before this it just doesn't make any sense. Eircom told me they'd retest the line in a week or so's time but if it fails again I'll probably have to contact the regulator.
    Has anyone else heard of anything like this? It's obviously something fishy with Eircom, I can't have had broadband for a whole year that worked perfectly fine and now suddenly fail the line test just because I'm switching companies. Back when I ordered bb off eircom a year ago they told me that my line could take up to 2mbs too. Thoughts/ideas on what I should do if they say I fail again?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

there is something definitely up with that, how can the line fail the test when ye had BB in the first place

Very Very underhanded that

Wouldnt wait to contact the regulator do it now, and make sure that you have some proof to say you had Broadband

Shin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

i havent tried to switch companies, but back when netsource was getting bad pings (touch wood) i rang up esat to ask about switching. They did the line test and said i failed...even though while i was talking to them i was browsing on my ns bb connection.

Ever since then i've been checking eircom's site and i was failing right up until Feb 2004 when accordin to the web site i've now started passing again.

I have no idea why this would happen. i doubt it would be underhand, i dont think eircom are that smart. just impossible stupidity in there line testing database or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Roller Toaster

Okay well I got in touch with the regulator and they said that it's common problem. They told me that it was probably just a system glitch but since Eircom apparently can't tell their customers exactly where the problem lies they make it seem worse by telling you that your line totally fails. I should get the results of the test next week and hopefully with the regulator breathing down their neck Eircom will give my line the green light. Fingers crossed...

Advertisement