Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hmmm

Options
  • 14-02-2004 8:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭

hello, im a 20 yr old girl. when i was seventeen i had a bit of a thing with my best friend, we ended up going out with each other (sort of) for about two months. until i freaked out. our friendship hasnt been the same since.

im still in love with her though, completely, but i wudnt call myself bisexual at all. i dont look at girls and notice them in a sexual way at all, i just happened to fall inlove with my friend because of her personality. there are some girls i know that i wud want to 'take care of' more than others, but its nothing sexual.

the only reason im thinking about this now is because after i told a friend about it in a passing conversation recently, he assumed i was bi, but i dont think i am.

does the fact i was once in a same sex relationship mean i am bisexual, even if she is the only girl i ahve every been attracted to sexually??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

I don't think an attraction to one person defines something as broad as your sexuality. As you've said, you've only been attracted to one girl sexually, so it could have been that you were mostly attracted to her personality. How many gay people here have been with members of the opposite sex (before they came out)?

Now, if you find other girls attractive, then at that stage, I would begin to suggest that yes, perhaps you are bisexual. However, at this stage, don't try to pidgeonhole yourself into a neat stereotype because of one fling you had at a stage in your life where many people question their sexuality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

If you don't think you are, then you're not. Look... how you define your sexuality is up to you. If the majority of your attractions are heterosexual, and you feel comfortable being defined as straight, then stick to that. If you feel that your same-sex attraction(s) are so significant to warrant you defining yourself as bisexual, then go for that, but in the end it's up to you to decide what you feel most comfortable with being called. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭boomdogman

My x says he is str8, does this mean he is? We don't define our own sexuality, we learn to accept it. You are bisexual in the sense you did/could again have sex with a woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

We don't define our own sexuality, we learn to accept it.

Sexuality can be a complex thing that is usually pretty tricky to sum up in one word - you're just going for the best approximation. You can have same-sex experiences without being gay or bi - if you're not attracted to the same sex, then you're *not*, it's that simple. And if you're entirely attracted to the opposite sex, but with one single solitary exception, then 'straight' is probably the best approximation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭startled_frog

I wouldnt say I'm bi, but I'm open to a lot of things. I don't believe anyone should limit themselves.
    But its different strokes for different folks. As long as your comfortable doing what your doing.
    And NEVER worry about what other people think.

• Advertisement
Advertisement