Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP iPAQ 5450

• 14-02-2004 9:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭

I have an as brand new boxed iPAQ 5450.

Im considering swapping it for a equiv PDA, BUT it must have a keypad (thumbpad type) built in.

Bearing in mind the price and that this is considered almost top of the range PDA, and has wi-fi, bluetooth and fingerprint recognition..... what would you guys suggest I consider swapping for? (It also comes with €279 worth insurance policy). Also i might consider a lower spec one with cash, any suggestions as to type I shud go for?

B

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

well with the integrated thumb-pad requirement what you can swap with is a bit limited - the only equivalent PocketPC would be the iPaq 4350 sticking with the that platform - or for Palm OS a Tungsten C (WiFi but no Bluetooth option), or a Sony UX50 (WiFi and Bluetooth very expensive)

have you looked into the attachable jacket/keyboard?
    L312391_001.jpg

just bear in mind it's replacement the 5550 has been out approx. 7 months at this stage (main difference being the increased RAM and Windows Mobile 2003 OS) - although as it is their most expensive model you should still get a decent price for a 5450 in good nick

BrianG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Falkorre

Never saw that jacket b4, is it expensive? Cant seem to find it anywhere in this country.
    I only bought the thing on oct 28th, barely used it and its still boxed etc.....and i was told by dixons (when will i learn? :rolleyes: ) that it was the top of the range model and wouldnt be replaced quickly,.... very convincing drone.

I paid over €850 including a 4 year insurance policy. So if this jacket is expensive then id rather just cut my losses, ya know? Specially now im not working. No real use for it. And its a helluva expensive toy.

If i knew somone who wanted to switch to pocket pc, id prolly swap for somthing like the Clie UX-50..... whatya think?

B

did a spot check and that particular HP Jacket/Thumb-pad is about Eur 85 from expansys.ie - so maybe shopping around on-line to see if anywhere has it cheaper... there are also regular snap on thumb-pads (without the jacket) also from HP and the likes of Belkin - but check out reviews of them first to see how suitable they would be...

the UX-50 - is around the same price in Dublin alright - check out the device first in real life though - i found it smaller than i though it was going to be (both screen size and keyboard)

BrianG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 jt

hello dawntreader

I guess it all depends on what you are going to use the PDA for. The Ux50 has the fullest spec (wifi, b2t, camera, keyboard) but the screen is smaller than the 5450.

Are you going to do a lot of long text entry or just email/texts?

Search weblog.garyturner.net, he does some really nice stuff with a 5450.

The best PDA I have for text entry is the old Psion Series 5. We use a Handspring for digital fieldnotes and photography but you wouldn't be inclined to do a lot of writing on it.

jt

thnx brian an jt for ur help.

Have decided im gonna keep it an get that keypad from expansis, have an ad in wanted forum to see if i can find somone with a credit card whos willin to order it for me if i put the money into their bank account first :) So hopefully ill have it soon. :)

Thnx again guys,

Barry

• Advertisement

Just so u guys know :)
    Managed to get a very similiar Belkin keypad (is in fact better and almost half the price) from ELara, being delivered monday, and i didnt even need a credit card as they take bank transfere! :)

B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Are you sure it will work with the 5450? I had a look at their site ant the one you describe (price) is for a 3800 or 3900. The only one they have compatible with the 5450 is this one. . Is there another one not listed on their site? I'd be interested in getting one for my own 5450 ?

Tinky

belkin's site lists this SnapNTYPE as compatible with the 5400 series (and the 3800 / 3900 series) - so if that's the same as the elara one?

always best to check out reviews first to see how suitable they would be - especially when dealing with 3rd party accessories...

BrianG

sorry, my mistake, i got the manufacturer name wrong, its targus -> http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECS14907&productID=53341

Says it works with the 5400series in the overview :)

B

Advertisement