Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

-1 = 1

• 15-02-2004 2:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭

-1 = i^2 = sqrt(-1)*sqrt(-1) = sqrt(-1*-1) = sqrt(1) = 1

Therfore -1 = 1

:)

Another of those fun fallacies.

<< Fio >>

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

the universe is doomed i tell ya

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Jonnie_Onion

sqrt(1) = +/- 1.

Therefore the equation holds for sqrt(1) = -1 and is invalid for sqrt(1) = 1

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

sqrt(1) = 0 +/- 1

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

thats not wht my calculater says

/me bounces it off wall

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Originally posted by smiles
    sqrt(-1)*sqrt(-1) = sqrt(-1*-1)

Multiplication of reals isn't homomorphic to multiplication of complex numbers?

[EDIT]Under the square root function I should say but I can't think of a function that is a homomorphism between ({R-0},*) and ({C-0},*). Can anyone help me out?[/EDIT]

Never thought about that before, I think that's a correct interpretation ...

• Advertisement

Oh, apart from identity functions.

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/ComplexNumberParadox.html

The complex modulus gives us a homomorphism from ({C-0},*) and ({R-0},x), i.e, |a|x|b| = |a*b|

Anyone know of an example of an isomorphism between those groups?

Advertisement