Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nothing will install!! HELP!!

• 15-02-2004 4:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭

"the process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process"

recently i bought a new motherboard, processor, graphics card and RAM. i ran into difficulty trying to access the OS on initial boot-up so i ended up (no need to tell me its stupid guys or what i should have done, i figured that one out) re-installing windows (XP home) right onto the hard drive. it didn't write over the old windowsXP as i'd hoped. i'v since (with tremendous difficulty) updated to IE6, directx9.0b, and downloaded the auld windows updates from microsoft.com (er... ya, about 8 hours or so on a 52k modem... pity me...)
    so... the problem is that there are some programs that just will not install! the above statement keeps interrupting the installwizard and won't let it finish. i thought maybe it was a TEMP folder problem. so i kept emptying it every time i tried to install the problem programs and, heyhey!, it worked on a couple o things but now, nothing.
    my latest attempt was updating my radeon graphics card drivers... deleting TEMP doesn't wrk. then i disable device, which doesn't work. so while device is disabled i uninstall the old drivers (AS IS ADVISED!!). but still i can't install the new drivers, it just keeps on saying "the process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process".
    so seeing as this approach didn't work i try to get back to what i had not a mere ten minutes previous... ah the naivety!!... low and behold it won't even install the old drivers again.

thats where i'm at right now. i'm at my wits end. i would greatly appreciate any help.
    thanx in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

what you really should do is format away the old windows, and reinstall a completely fresh copy. Reinstalling over the old one is next to useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

yep, format & reinstall is your only man tbh.
    installing over a borked copy of windows is totally pointless.

if thats out of the question, you could always try restarting in safe mode (f8 just after the bios info) and installing drivers etc from there...

Advertisement