Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

overclocking probloms

Options
  • 15-02-2004 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭

right i had the system overclocked for about 9 months without probloms

abit nf7-s barton 2500
    had it running at about 1950mh i know not a huge ammount done but the temps werent great ( about 42c ) due to the crap hsf i had on it .

but about a month ago it wouldnt boot fully into windows and done the usual overheating problom . so i went into the bios and chked the setting's and turned off all the oc's i had don

today ive decided that im going oc it again .

i first set it at 200 x 9.5 with a vcore of 1.75 ( crashed b4 it tested the ram ddr3200 twin )
    then i set it at 180 x 10 with a vcore of 1.75 ( crashed just into windows )
    then i set it at 170 x 11 with a default vcore ( 1.65 and seems to run fine untill i do some stressing on the system where it restarts )

now i know i can get it better then a 1870mhz ive done it b4 but ive no ida why its crashing

the agp freguency is at 66mh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i like this guide here think its good

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=138583&highlight=overclocking+guide+newbies

right give us some more info on your system, such as your ram and power supply unit, psu can be a problem when overclocking if it isn't decent, see how your 12v rail varies from idle to under load for example on antec psu the 12v sits at 11.74v nearly always regardless of what i'm doing.

you may need to increase your ram voltage also send it up to 2.8v and see if that gives you some stability. heat aside you should be able to get that up to 200*11 just try to keep your load temp under 50c and you'll be alright

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

well the powersupply is a 450w antec
    the ram is twincmos ( hmm think ive spelt it wrong ) 3200

ok so you have a good psu and 200mhz ram, can you get the specs on your ram to see what settings they used to obtain 200mhz on it. i'd up the ram voltage to 2.8v and slackent the timings to something like 3-4-4-8, 3-4-4-11, for some reason my ram doesn't like its timings to be slackened but its weird like that

edit is this the stuff here

http://www.twinmos.com/dram/dram_p_dt_ddr400.htm

dont suppose you know what cpu interface is / dose ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

you tried just setting it to run as a 3200+?

should be the same as my nf7 v2... the first option of the bios

• Advertisement

nop . atm im trying to get it as close to 2000mhz without it crashing . atm ive the ram set to run at 333 as it seams to like it that way

211 x 9.5 = 2005 which its booting into but whenever i up the voltage it will crash out after a small ammount of time ( 20 mins r so )

ill lick it yet

Originally posted by elexes
    dont suppose you know what cpu interface is / dose ?

fraid i don't, have you run memtest or anything on the ram, or can you run the computer at stock cpu and ram at 200mhz to see if the ram is stable as it should be?

ye the ram runs at 333 just fine but once i try and up it to 400 it fuxorz . ive tried keepit it close to 333 or under but still crashes

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I run mine at 166x13 (Given up trying to do the FSB) and put my Ram to 6-2-2-2 from 7-3-3-2.5

Nice little boost.

Originally posted by elexes
    ye the ram runs at 333 just fine but once i try and up it to 400 it fuxorz . ive tried keepit it close to 333 or under but still crashes

is it possible to run the cpu at 166 and the ram at 200mhz? (don't know if you can do that in the bios tbh) your ram is rated for 3200 and should do 200mhz if this setting is possible otherwise something is up with you ram

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Nu7jOb

Dude its quite simple.

If youre going to use an athlon you need a good hsf

If youre going to overclock an athlon you need the best hsf money can buy !

sounds to me like ure cpu got partially cooked, (if ure unlucky) it still works ok ... mostly :(
    but I reckon you will find even underclocked that you will get random probs, blue screens, failing to boot etc

If ure lucky its just the hsf and the seal betwixt it and the cpu

Get a decent hsf for gods sake, trust me :)

I have a Zalman all copper cooler monster of a thing, could cool down a nuclear detonation and im still thinkin she's runnin a bit warm ;)

hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 65,390 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by Nu7jOb
    I have a Zalman all copper cooler monster of a thing, could cool down a nuclear detonation

LOL ode to the 7000Cu :cool:

afaik though against all reasoning the AlCu zalman hybrid cools better then the full copper one, iirc the one site that found that out concluded that the fan on the AlCu hybrid just must be better or something

Advertisement