Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

reinstallation woes

Options
  • 15-02-2004 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭

Last night i reinstalled windows xp on my computer. The only thing is that it didn't reformat the hardrive and only deleted all the windows stuff. All the programs that i ahd on there before r still on there except windows doesn't know they're on there anymore. So what i want to know is how do i fully reformat my hd and wipe everything off it? any help much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

When you boot off the XP CD it'll give you the option to format the partition you're installing onto.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

yeah thats what i said. Press L to format it. And i did that but it didn't format it. It got rid of all the windows stuff and got rid of everything off the 'all programs' list but they r still sort of half installed and all the stuff is still on the c:/ drive????

Maybe Windows wasn't installed on the partition you selected to format.

it has cuz the other 2 partitions were really small. like 8mbs and 18mbs. One was FAT. the one i installed it on was the c:\ drive one, it had that beside it. So should it normally delete everything off the c drive?? What else can i do?

It'll format C if you tell it to.
    If you want a clean hard drive just use the installer to delete all the partitions and then recreate them.
    Or else use Partition Magic to set them up first and then install Windows again.

• Advertisement

Well i guess i'll try reinstalling it again and see if it works this time.

Advertisement