Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SMC Barricade g router

Options
  • 15-02-2004 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭

smc2804wbr.jpg

I am purchasing an SMC Barricade g (SMC 2804-WBR) wireless accesspoint/broadband router from Komplett. I don't have broadband at the moment but plan to get it at some stage in the future, so it will be used just as a wireless access point and DHCP server for now.
    My question is this, however: Since this router doesn't have a built in DSL/cable modem (it requires you to connect one to its WAN port), would it be possible to connect a regular 56k modem to it (using some kind of home-made rj11->rj45 cable) and use the router to share the 56k dialup? Or, would I have to set up some poxy windows ICS on a PC equipped with modem instead?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

Your regular 56k modem's output connects via either a serial or USB port, so you would need some way of converting one of those to ethernet - I haven't heard of them, but others may have. The RJ11 connection is where you plug in the phone line i.e. the modem's input.

Advertisement