Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids Names

• 15-02-2004 5:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭

The three Paddy's are out playing a round of golf, and the conversation leads to theire kids.
    Paddy Scotsman says "I named my son Andrew, as he was born on St. Andrews day"!
    "Thats funny" says Paddy Englishman, "I named my son George after he was born on St. Georges day"!
    "Jaysus lads, you'll never believe the coincidence" says Paddy Irishman, "The same thing happened my son Pancake"!!

:D:D:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭TheSonOfBattles

Yay!! :D:D:D Cue more "Your a racist for posting Paddy <insert country name here>man jokes" comments by Paddy20, and trolling by the shedload.

/me wipes away a tear...so beautiful to see it back in action :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

I dont think even ure name will save you when the 'omg you racist!!!' people join the thread. Good joke tho :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

I don't no how people say these are racist:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭UnrealQueen

Good Joke:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭The_Goose

nice one:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

poor little pancake

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Once noone comments on how good Pancake tastes its all ok!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭quank

lol
    haha! very good
    simple and delictable:)

When is pancake tuesday outta interest?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Dont Ban Me

The day after pancake Monday!! :D My god I crack myself up!! On a more serious note, i've no idea!!:confused:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Ask a stupid question :P

Pancake Tuesday is celebrated the day before the beginning of Lent.

Lent is 40 days ending on Easter Sunday.

Jesus was crucified just before the Jewish Passover. This celebration starts in the middle (14th or 15th day) of the Jewish month of Nisan (in Spring). Jewish months always start with a new moon, so the Passover must be inmediately after a full moon.

Knowing these facts, Easter was decided to be officialy first Sunday after the first full moon after Vernal Equinox.

Regarding to this, the following considerations must be made:

1. The equinox the Church uses to calculate Easter is always the 21st of March. We know the actual equinox may be one or two days before or after that date, but 21st of March is the official equinox.
    2. The official full moon could not agree with the actual full moon. They can differ in one or two days.

The full moon preceding Easter is called Paschal Full Moon. It is calculated using two tools: Golden Number and Epact.

The Golden Number describes the relationship between the year number and moon's phase succesions during that year. Each year has a Golden Number, and they are repeated every 19 years.

The Epact measures the age of the moon at a particular date (the age being the instant in the full to new moon period). If you know Golden Number of a particular year, then you can calculate Epact.

Algorithm
    Easter is calculated by means of Golden Number, Epact and some tables, as explained in the following algorithm:

G = year % 19
    if Julian Calendar
    I = (19*G + 15) % 30
    J = (year + year/4 + I) % 7
    end if
    if Gregorian Calendar
    C = year/100
    H = (C - C/4 - (8*C+13)/25 + 19*G + 15) % 30
    I = H - (H/28)*(1 - (H/28)*(29/(H + 1))*((21 - G)/11))
    J = (year + year/4 + I + 2 - C + C/4) % 7
    end if
    L = I - J
    EasterMonth = 3 + (L + 40)/44
    EasterDay = L + 28 - 31*(EasterMonth/4)

This definition that uses tables instead of actual observations of the full moon is useful and necessary since the the full moon may occur on different (local, not UT) dates depending where you are in the world. If the date of Easter was based on local observations, then it would be possible for different parts of the world to celebrate Easter on different dates in the same year.

Note: Easter is not always celebreated on same date by Orthodox - New Calendarists / Orthodox - Old Calendarists / Western Christians.

Ref
    http://www.oremus.org/liturgy/etc/ktf/app/easter.html
    http://www.smart.net/~mmontes/ec-cal.html
    http://woody.us.es/~aluque/proy/easter.html

Uh huh :confused::confused::confused: So.....when exactly is Pancake Tuesday then, this year like? For the dumber/lazier posters here :D

Advertisement