Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games and NEEDING CDs

Options
  • 15-02-2004 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭

I really think there's nothing more annoying than needing a ****ing CD to play a game!

EVERY game I have is cracked so as I don't need to keep putting in a CD to play it - They're all legit copies, so I dont' posting this on a public board :) But I really really really hate the fact that the makers of most of the games force you to use a bloody cd just to prove you own the damned thing.

Sure I understand that they dont want piracy, but for **** sake I dont want to have to root through a stack of CDs just to find that missing "Play Disc" just to prove to this piece of **** that I own it! :)

Daniel

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

awwww My heart bleeds for you , spending so much of your precious time looking for your play discs :( want a back rub ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

hehe :) It's just annoying, that's all :)

If I needed all those discs at the moment, I'd be swapping in and and out between Unreal 2, UT2K3, C&C Generals, C&C RA2, and so on

It's be a nightmare to wait on that damn noisy cd drive to spin all the time :p

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

There are fake CD programs out there so you can run uncracked older games ...

CD autochanger ?
    If you have LOTS of money you could hang loads of SCSI drives offa SCSI card - you'd run out of drive letters first. DOS 2.11 used to keep going - got as far as _: and a: (lowercase) with ramdrive once.

yeah i've heard about them alright, cant' remeber the name of the one i'm thinking of, may well be that one thought!

do you use anything like that? does it give any side effects or anything?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Originally posted by Tusky
    awwww My heart bleeds for you , spending so much of your precious time looking for your play discs :( want a back rub ?

Its more annotying if you want to play on an airplane and you cann use your CD-ROM...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭UnrealQueen

Pity there isn't blank discs big enough to copy all our games onto the one disc:p No more disc changing then for zoro!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by UnrealQueen
    Pity there isn't blank discs big enough to copy all our games onto the one disc:p No more disc changing then for zoro!
    unless he's got 500+ games, a big hd would do the job nicely.
    rip the games to iso's & mount them with daemon tools/alcohol/whatever...

no, that's not the point .. it's that i'm expected to use the cd EVERY time i want to play the game! I mean, there's only so much cd changing that i can take!

granted, if you haven't the hd space then you're gonna need the cd's anyway, but if you do, and you dont want the hassle of fooling your pc into thinking the cd is in it when it's not (im' talking about the iso's on the hd) why should i be forced into using the cd for a game i own?! it's unreasonable and annoying!

and dont get all "piracy is bad" on me :) i know it is, but if i own the game, why should i HAVE to use the damned cd :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

If they're legit copies then go to www.gamecopyworld.com for a no-cd crack. Its annoying having to load cds every time. Note, this site is totally legal, as its only intended for use with LEGITIMATE games.
    Mods, please dont ban me, im trying to help someone with a legitimate game.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

He's not looking for cracks, he's just stating that because he owns the games he shouldn't have to insert the cd just to play it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

I know, but if he downloads the no-cd patches for his games, he wont have to insert the cd.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Then when you have to update the game, its a pain in the bollax swapping files around because it won't update it if it detects its cracked :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Originally posted by L5
    I know, but if he downloads the no-cd patches for his games, he wont have to insert the cd.

We know that, but his point is that he shouldn't have to do this at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

I have a similar problem , in that my kids have now started to play games on the PC aswell as me , so the disc's are comming out and going in constantly . What annoys me most is that , I've paid up on 60 yoyo's for them and when I reformat some of them won't load properly cause of scratches and such .

And although gamecopyworld is handy it doesn't work for all games ie: Toca race driver , that one wouldn't work for me . I understand why its there but its very annoying .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

Originally posted by zoro
    why should i be forced into using the cd for a game i own?! it's unreasonable and annoying!

You know, it's not that hard to change cd's, stop being a whiney runt, suck it up, open the clearly labelled cd case, take out the desired cd and away you go. I hate lazy people.

And another thing, you may be using the game to play over a lan(I'm not implying that you do), and so the developers would like it if every player had a liscenced copy, if you take out cd checking then the game can be played using 1 cd. It's not so unreasonable that they would want to account for such happenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭seanos

Play good games that don't require cds...
    Nethack, Monkey Island 1+2 & Older Lucasarts games [copy game to HD, ScummVM], and all the other older classics - it may even keep you off boards long enough for people to forget this thread, and you to regain some dignity back, due to forgetfulness & alcohol [on behalf of others].

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Maybe you should just get the Phantom when it comes out; download all your games to its hard drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Rip your game cd to HDD< and mount the cd image with daemon tools et all

i win

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tazzle

I heart the stupidity and selfishness of random boards users core. No, not you zoro.

Originally posted by Tazzle
    I heart the stupidity and selfishness of random boards users core. No, not you zoro.

To i_am_dogboy and Sinnocence - whiney runt eh? So the fact that I own a particular piece of software, yet every single time i want to play it i've to get a small disc, of which i have only one copy, and put it into my drive after removing another game from the drive seconds earlier? Are the games companies going to refund me or jonski below if our cd's get scratched because of their protection? not a chance. ;)

And I know that it's to stop them from losing out on money, this is my third time saying it dogboy - stop being such an as*hole

bazH - yeah i had thought of doing that (as one of the other posts suggested :p) but i'm just not bothered with extra software to handle it for me :)

anyway, this thread is about the fact that we've no choice, stop giving me choices! :D Although it technically is still requiring the cd to play :)

Daniel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I don't give a shit if it's legal or not to no-cd crack or not.

Thread closed. Before you pm me with complaints read the charter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement