Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] Big guns brought out for Bush

Options
  • 15-02-2004 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,412 ✭✭✭✭

So where does this bring the air defence debate?

http://home.eircom.net/content/unison/national/2546911?view=Eircomnet
    Big guns brought out for Bush
    Sunday, 15th February, 2004
    DON LAVERY

THE largest ever security operation seen in this country involving thousands of gardai and soldiers - along with American fighter jets - will protect President George Bush when he visits Ireland this summer.

Taoiseach Bertie Ahern has confirmed that he will host the high profile EU-US summit early in the summer, likely to be at a venue outside Dublin, after months of uncertainty about the meeting.

While White House and Irish Government officials have begun examining venues and dates, no announcement will be made without detailed security planning by both governments.

While the visit will be opposed by thousands of anti-war protesters, both governments are acutely aware of the ever present danger of a terrorist attack ranging from suicide bombers to a September 11-style strike.

Asked about the possibility of a President Bush visit, and that Ireland cannot defend its airspace because it has no interceptor aircraft, a spokeswoman for the American Embassy said: "That is a matter for the Irish Government."

It is understood that US Air Force F-15 Eagle fighters based in the UK will be used to provide air cover for the visit. Low level air defence up to 10,000 feet will be provided by Irish army RBS-70 surface-to-air (SAM) missiles with a range of 5kms along with EL-70 anti-aircraft guns controlled by Flycatcher radar.

The threat of aerial attack has been taken so seriously by US security officials that the Czech government had to pass a special law to allow US fighters to patrol over Prague during a Nato summit before President Bush could attend.

Defence Minister Michael Smith has admitted that Ireland would have to seek outside help if there was a September 11-type attack.

Shannon is the most likely arrival point for Air Force One carrying President Bush and his entourage and its seven mile perimeter will have to be secured by hundreds of gardai and soldiers backed up by armoured vehicles.

Army officers have identified several sites within a three-mile radius of the runways where shoulder-fired SAMs could be used against aircraft, so roving ground and air patrols will be used to counter that threat.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Originally posted by Victor
    So where does this bring the air defence debate?
    It demonstrates we have no need for air defence. Do you see any announcements that the EU-US summit is to be postponed until the Irish Government purchases eight F-16 fighters?
    Nope. It's going ahead, and the fighter cover the americans feel they require will be provided by the US from the UK, an ally of the US, rather than from Ireland, a neutral country. And if we did have our own fighters, to suggest that the US wouldn't provide their own air cover anyway would be indicative of a certain naivate regarding the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Originally posted by Sparks
    And if we did have our own fighters, to suggest that the US wouldn't provide their own air cover anyway would be indicative of a certain naivate regarding the US.

Did the RAF provide air cover for the Bush visit to the UK? I honestly don't know, but would like to...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

Originally posted by therecklessone
    Did the RAF provide air cover for the Bush visit to the UK? I honestly don't know, but would like to...

I'm pretty sure the USAF did, since they have bases there anyway. The US tends to do everything themselves anyway, they have a series of Secret Service offices around the world anyway to plan things like this. I can't find a link to confirm it...
    It demonstrates we have no need for air defence

I certainly won't be arguing in favour of defending Bush:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Turkey

Errrrr?
    How does this demonstrate that we have no need of air-defence?
    I see nothing here that shows that we are the only country of any significence* in the world not to have any air space.

* I am not counting New Zealand, the peice of human trash that they have for a prime minister is one of the few things which almost make bertie look good.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Talking to a friend of mine yesterday who is more intune with military matters than me, he reckons than even if we had 150 F16's the yanks would still insist on flying "top cover" The yanks wont leave the protection of the President in the hands of anyone else.

So it brings nothing to the AD debate IMHO. (other than giving sparks and turkey another opportunity to bounce off each other that is :) )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

I'm not surprised they wouldn't leave it to us.
    If he's visiting Ireland in the summer, then we have about 5 months to buy a fighter squadron and train the pilots.

There's no point in Ireland investing millions in modern fighters because 1 man is visiting the island.

Advertisement