Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cens*red Words

Options
  • 15-02-2004 11:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭

Is there a need for the Boards word censor ? What purpose does it serve ?

Should it be up to people to censor themselves and not let an easily circumvented filter to be used ?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

bubbles

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

I remember on 1 forum instead of ******* when censored it had "Pointless Flame"
    I dont care is there is or isent a censor it would be more less the same without it.

A option to click censor on/off in your profile would be nice though

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

**** that **** ******!

I like to express myself entirely, using profanity where I feel it's appropriate.

Normal swear words like f*ck ,sh*t etc, can add something of a shock factor, emphasis, to a post.

I do think racist remarks should be censored though, I see no need to breed that sort of ignorance anywhere.

So aI agree for the most part with yellum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I get pissed off too with the ****** software. If there is a problem then the Mods can sort it, that why we exist.

S******. I mean sn1gger (see its stupid software at that!)

Mike.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Indeed. The curse word "****" is far less extreme than some of the topics posted here. It's ridiculous automatically censoring it. That should be up to the mods to decide. I don't swear much myself but the option should be there....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I'd hate to influence any impressionable little f*cks with my choice of ****ing profanity, when I ****ing choose to use it.

That is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭TheSonOfBattles

Originally posted by User45701
    option to click censor on/off in your profile would be nice though

Best option. Gives naughty people the right to swear, and saves innocent little angels from possibly offensive material.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

Originally posted by User45701
    A option to click censor on/off in your profile would be nice though

gets my vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I wonder why pissed is visible?

Cock
    Ass
    Bastard
    Bollocks
    Bollix

I'd like to appolgise for the swearing, but its in the name of science! :)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭UnrealQueen

I don't think it really matters is they're *'ed out or not. Everyone understands whats being said whether they are or not. Ok, i don't think i put that too well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Is there only 4 censored words?
    fuck cunt shit nigger

Freemasons, tbh, bubbles have all been uncensored.

Originally posted by Mercury_Tilt
    what is the issue exactly?

Are some people dumbfounded and unable to get a post because some letters are *'d out?

I'm nearly sure there are quite a lot of younger people on boards too. Whats the harm in filtering out curse/certain words?
    To me it's sort of dumb to have a blanked out swear word, and then a thread with links to sites like www.goate.cx , etc. What's the youngest poster here? 16? I imagine they know how to swear - we DO live in Ireland, a somewhat profan place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Kunst

v true but i feel its the principle of having some form of censorship not the actual **'ing itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

what is the issue exactly?

I'm nearly sure there are quite a lot of younger people on boards too. Whats the harm in filtering out curse/certain words?

The issue is whether there should be censoring of words since the implied meaning is there anyway and people easily circumvent the filter. Even with a large number of younger people on boards I don't think they would be in anyway affected by curse words.

Also, if censoring continues what words should be censored and what shouldn't be censored ?

How do you like people to speak to your parents?

Freely. Its up to the person to decide what manner they wish to communicate with my folks. I wouldn't wish to put any restrictions on them.

Yet even so you have no issues advising people on boardsie on staying safe online .

How is my argument about censoring words related to my posting a link from a Gay Teen website that advises kids how not to get themselves into a dangerous situation ?

• Advertisement

ahhh stuff it.. In honesty when you come out with a statement that indicates you think the youngest person here is over 16.. well.. I mean ...................come on.

I had a huge post here ripping you to bits. In a really nasty way.

Im being nice.
    No you're not. You're also not addressing the other points I raised. Why do you choose to have a blanket ban on swear words - which you'd idiotic not to think most people know - but not automatic censorship of issues such as sex, pictures, etc.? In those cases it's moderated, so surely you could at least then point to a similiar argument for swearing, on a board-by-board basis?

I'm also not one to swear - but other people are. The issue is about the right to swear, the right to choice in the matter, and maybe the ability to not have to see if that is your desire. How you can argue blanket censoring of one issue but not others is puzzling.

happy enough that they can take care of themselves in all aspects of life bar sexual activity.

Again sorry, this thread is about censorsed words. If you want to start a thread where you think I'm being a hypocrite or where you have an issue with me posting valid advice on LGB go right ahead.

This thread was started to discuss whether people thought the censored words filter a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Originally posted by yellum
    Is there a need for the Boards word censor ? What purpose does it serve ?

Should it be up to people to censor themselves and not let an easily circumvented filter to be used ?

First post counts, now the censor? You're just trying to make Feedback/Suggestions more fun, aren't you!

amp, having solved this thread, moves on to the Ninja forum to shout "WEARING A T-SHIRT ON YOUR HEAD DOES NOT MAKE YOU EVEN VAGUELY COOL"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

lol the sensor is like a pool rules plaque(SP?) in a bar....

while we shoot our own game...we still know there is some order around

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Quite simply there are quite a few potty mouths out there that love to swear in print so they can be "cool", with every second word censored. However, if they have to think to bypass the censor, they are less likely to swear.

Also the Cartman "Censored" card is cool, if there was no censor there would be no card. And the indignation from the potty mouths that don't expect the censor is great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Originally posted by ixoy
    What's the youngest poster here? 16? I imagine they know how to swear - we DO live in Ireland, a somewhat profan place.

Actually theres people as young as 13 posting in CTYI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

This is the internet, swear words are the least of children's problems, tbh, the asterixs are in good nature but are pointless and sometimes annoying, i really like saying s******.
    Also, why not a blankey ban on swears words? I dont mind annoying phrases/buzz words being omitted from a post, but i like saying f uck.

On your completely unrelated flame/troll-tastic post, I think you do have a right to be a homophobe, if the Chruch can be, why can't you? For fucks sake.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement