Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Access Point vs Wireless Router

• 15-02-2004 11:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I've got eircom bb and the netopia cayman modem/router that comes "free" with the package. Am I correct in thinking that what I need is a Wireless Access Point for a home wireless network and not a Wireless Modem/Router/Wireless combo.

If so, has anyone had any experience with any of the hardware from elara.ie:

1. Netgear WG602 802.11g 54Mbps Wireless Access Point 128Bit
    2. D-Link DWL-2000AP 54Mbps Wireless Access Point with 1 10/100Mbps LAN port
    3. Linksys WAP54G/UK Wireless Access Point 802.11g
    4. Belkin - (F5D7130UK) Wireless Access Point 54Mbps

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 dan_an_fear

I'm using the WG-602, works fine with the eircom router-modem.
    Only possible draw back is it doesn't let you disable ssid broadcast. On the other hand you can set up wep and mac filtering which should keep out casual good fer nothins. If they get past that, not broadcasting ssid probably wouldn't have made much difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭bbbbb

Is the difference
    - wireless access point, PC has to be left on to do dial-up etc.
    - combo. Does dialup, firewall, NAT. PC does not have to be on for other devices to connect to the net.

?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by bbbbb
    Is the difference
    - wireless access point, PC has to be left on to do dial-up etc?
    No. The netopia should do the "dialup" even if the original PC is turned off, as far as I know. The only people who need to buy an "all in one" solution are people who don't have an ethernet modem - you've already got one, so you only need the access point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 priam

thanks for the info... I think I'll go with the netgear wg602, so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

Go for the wgt624. It the next model up from that one.
    It's got alot more security in it. SSID broadcast can be turned off. It comes with support for wpa (shared key auth) out of the box.
    I'm currently setting mine up and it running sweet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 priam

The wgt624 is a wireless router though... can that be used in series with my netopia modem/router? Or should I just dump the netopia and just use the wgt642? Or just get the Wireless Access Point like I figured in the first post?

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

Full wireless access point would be the easest thing to do. That what I orginally though the wgt624 was. I have a dlink modem now. As for modem you have working with. Provided it has an eth connection on it it should work for the connection.

Advertisement