Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland v Brazil predictions [merged]

• 16-02-2004 12:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭

Just read on SSN now that Duff's pulled out of the Ireland v Brazil match, which really is a huge blow if we had hoped to put up a fight.

I'd say Brazil 3 - 0 Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

1-0
    or 2-1 to Brazil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Oswald Osbourne

How dare you! No one, BUT NO ONE, beats Ireland 3-0 at home!

Ireland 1-3 Brazil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

brazil 3-2 ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Ammmm before we all start sticking our heads in the gas oven does anyone have the Brazil Squad details for this match?

I'll reserve my opinion until I see that :)

Gandalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by gandalf
    Ammmm before we all start sticking our heads in the gas oven does anyone have the Brazil Squad details for this match?

I'll reserve my opinion until I see that :)

Gandalf.
    They're are bringing their strongest squad. The only noticable exclusion is Rivaldo but he doesn't deserve a place ATM.

Squad: Cafu (Milan), Belletti (Villareal), Juninho Paulista (Middelesbrough), Ronaldinho (Barcelona), Kaká (Milan), Juninho Pernambucano (Lyon), Lúcio (Bayer Leverkusen), Juan (Bayer Leverkusen), Kleberson (Manchester United), Júlio Baptista (Sevilla), Ronaldo (Real Madrid), Adriano (Internazionale), Luís Fabiano (São Paulo), Marcos (Palmeiras), Dida (Milan), Roque Júnior (Siena), Edmilson (Lyon), Gilberto Silva (Arsernal), Emerson (Roma), Roberto Carlos (Real Madrid), Júnior (Siena), Zé Roberto (Bayern Munchen).

I'm gonna be positive and say an Irish 2-1 win. The Brazilians don't take friendlies very seriously and often draw or get beaten by the minnows.

• Advertisement

where hardly minnows 12-14 in the world isnt bad for a country of only 4 million and as was show in the WC we can stand up to some of the best teams in the world *or at lest we used to be able to*

AH WELL at the end of the day it will be fun to watch and hopefuly we will get to see some of the new boys proform well and we could even get a draw or win!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

1-1

Originally posted by bizmark
    where hardly minnows 12-14 in the world isnt bad for a country of only 4 million and as was show in the WC we can stand up to some of the best teams in the world *or at lest we used to be able to*
    I didn't say we were minnows, Brazil often play badly against minnows (i think they drew against China a few months ago, there was a few more shocks too) so we have a good chance.

I really love to see Ireland doing well in the rankings and I always check FIFA.com every month to see the changes. ATM we are 14th, if we beat Brazil or even get a draw or a goal or two we will get a good few points in the rankings. Don't ask me why I am so fond of the rankings.:rolleyes:

oh sorry m8 i misunderstood you :)

and i offen check the rankings myself .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

Hopefully we can get Roy Keane back for this game..... :)

• Advertisement

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

well yee might all be glad to know that some of brazils latest results have been :
    1-0 win against jamaica (strong side with the exception of ronaldo )

1-1 draw with peru , world cup qualifer (strong side )

3-3 with uraguay , world cup qualifier ( strong side ) . Brazil is usually crap in W C qualifiers though .

predication IRELAND 3 -2 brazil . Cmon u hardly think roque junior is gonna stop the like of Keane and ...........................Kilbane :ninja:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Originally posted by The FANJ
    Hopefully we can get Roy Keane back for this game..... :)

Oh my sides are splitting with laughter! :o

But seriously, I think/hope it'll be a good old fashioned draw, 1-1 or 2-2

:dunno:

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I'll have to go for a 7-0 win for Ireland. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Mmmm Ronaldo verus Richard Dunne!!!!

3 Time world player of the year verus Man city reserve!!!!

Brazil 4 - 1 Ireland.

Our goal coming the the 90th min when Brazil have put on 11 subs.

way to have hope their sposs ;)

I think being realistic , Brazil should be able to carve open our defence whenever they like, meaning shots to goals ratio could be high unless Given's in for a special night.

I dunno, I think Ireland could be alot better than we see it. We aren't up so high in the World Rankings for no reason and Brazil aren't exactly the best defensively, regardless of the big names. If we can hold van Nistelrooy, Kluivert, Makaay, and J.F. Hasselbaink scoreless we can hold anyone scoreless.

However, I think it will be a score draw.

in defence of richard dunne he has gotten quicker and is now a man city regualar....................... well he's better than breen.(but then again so is andy obrien )

Originally posted by Sposs
    Mmmm Ronaldo verus Richard Dunne!!!!

3 Time world player of the year verus Man city reserve!!!!
    If Richard Dunne can keep tabs on Thierry Henry (who is the best centre forward in the world at present) he can do it against Ronaldo. Also, he is City's number 1/2 centre half ATM so I don't know how you class him as a reserve. IMO Dunne is our best CB after Cunningham and is so underrated because of his size.

• Advertisement

He was a reserve for most of last season and the start of this season , he's playing at the min , but i wouldn't class him as the number one centre half until he has a full season under his belt without being dropped.

Defense should be ;

Given

Carr OShea Cunningham Finnian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

1-1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

O'Shea isn't that good (yet?), don't think i've ever seen him have a decent game for ireland.

True. Dunphy was right in pointing out that O'Shea isn't at all aggressive enough to play centre back. He lets people like Duncan Ferguson push him around even though he's the same size as O'Shea.

Dunne>>>>>>>>>>>>O'Shea (ATM anyway)

I don't even see why we have to keep playing O'Shea, he has never played good for Ireland. I would stick Finnan at LB and drop O'Shea to the bench, O'Shea can play against the likes of Faroes to get confidence up.

Sposs - City bought/loaned Van Buyton and Dunne is now his partner at CB, therefore Dunne is number 1/2 for City ATM.

Defense should be:

Given

Carr O'Brien Cunningham Finnian.

I would love to see Finnan play at left back but I think we need him for the right of midfield for the Brazilian game anyway. There is a choice between McAteer/Delap/Carsley/Finnan for RM but Finnan is the only player who plays on the right on a regular basis. Carsely, Delap and McAteer are all central midfielders for their clubs. I know Finnan is a RB but he does like to get forward and he wouldn't have to worry too much about defensive duties.

I have been thinking of what bet to do for this match, I will not bet against Ireland though. Here is what I might do. Ireland to win but if its a draw the bet is void therefore once Ireland don't lose, I don't lose the bet. Paddypower are giving 12-5 on that. Thats not all, Robbie Keane to score at any time is 6-4 on PP so a double on those to bets is 17-2. So Eur 20 on that will return Eur 170.:)

I'm sure there are better odds somewhere else though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

Good odds on brazil to bet ireland and spain to beat northen ireland, two almost certs and easy money... ching ching

As for my prediction Brazil 3 Ireland 1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭bdiddy

they've got Ronaldo, we've got McAteer!!
    5-0 to Ireland

On a more serious note, we should contain them. I think we should try Dunne and O'shea together in the center in the second half. See how they do against the best in the buisness, also Robbie Keane will shine if given any supply. Probably will score and get man of the match. I reckon 2-2!

Originally posted by bdiddy
    they've got Ronaldo, we've got McAteer!!
    5-0 to Ireland

On a more serious note, we should contain them. I think we should try Dunne and O'shea together in the center in the second half. See how they do against the best in the buisness, also Robbie Keane will shine if given any supply. Probably will score and get man of the match. I reckon 2-2!

What?? Cunningham is the best Center Half we have by a mile

i agree the combination i would like to see is cunnigham and dunne / obrien and dunne, preferbly the first one . OShea is crap for ireland and should be dropped. Alot of people on this board seem to like him because of the team he plays for :mad: .

Gary Kelly should of course get a recall to the squad , remember the job he did on overmars ;) (gary may have gone but overmars was quiet , wonder why ? ) .

3-2 to Ireland with none other than Ginger PELE popping up with a header in the 93 minute :D

Originally posted by Big Ears
    Gary Kelly should of course get a recall to the squad
    He's retired from the international scene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Ronaldo7

All i want to see is a good match and lots and lots of goals and skill.

I want to see how kleberson performs for Brazil . And i want to see all the usual Gods in full flight.

Id watch Brazil play over anyone any day.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Ronaldo7
    Id watch Brazil play over anyone any day.
    And i'd watch Ireland play over anyone any day.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    IMO Dunne is our best CB after Cunningham

Well that does'nt exactly say much for our Cb's then does it

Originally posted by kmart6
    Well that does'nt exactly say much for our Cb's then does it
    you obviously haven't seen much of Dunne this season...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭Brian Houlihan

2-2 but ireland might sneak a winner :D

He's retired from the international scene.

i know :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: , some people

• Advertisement

you obviously haven't seen much of Dunne this season...

Oh but I have and that's the problem,do you think that he is going to be able to keep Ronaldo from either scoring or setting up goals???

Originally posted by kmart6
    Oh but I have and that's the problem,do you think that he is going to be able to keep Ronaldo from either scoring or setting up goals???
    And why is Andy O'Brein, Doherty and O'Shea any different? Not a lot of defenders would keep Ronaldo at bay. IMO Dunne is better than the three named above in most area's. You don't have to have a nice figure to be a good defender.

And why is Andy O'Brein, Doherty and O'Shea any different? Not a lot of defenders would keep Ronaldo at bay. IMO Dunne is better than the three named above in most area's. You don't have to have a nice figure to be a good defender.

Yes well now its not hard to be better to the one's mentioned above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Brazil 6 - 1 Ireland

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

The reason why O Shea gets his game is because he plays quite well for his club, even in tough games.

He just hasn't got the hang of the International scene yet but once he does I think we might have another Irwin here.

I'd also like to see Andy O brien getting a shot, hopefully Kerr will give everyone a chance to play againist Brazil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

we`ve a lot of injury problems but we should be ok. i wont be gutted if we loose because its a priveledge to see the world champions come to landsdowne with a full strenght squad.

Hopefully the team will look something like this

Given

----Carr
    Cunningham
    O`brien
    O`shea

---Mcateer
    Holland
    A.Reid
    ZindeineKilbane:D

Keane
    Morrisson

The team was named but I don't know the formation, should lok something like this:

Dida

Cafu
    RoqueJunor
    Lucio
    R.Carlos

Kleberson
    Gilberto
    ZeRoberto

Kaka

Ronaldinho
    Ronaldo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Looks like Holland's injured too.

eire, is it only paddy power thats doin the "if ireland draw, the bet is void", or do ladbrokes do that too?

Because ladbrokes have Ireland down as 7/2..

Originally posted by Tellox
    Looks like Holland's injured too.

eire, is it only paddy power thats doin the "if ireland draw, the bet is void", or do ladbrokes do that too?

Because ladbrokes have Ireland down as 7/2..
    I was looking around a few sites for better odds and PP have probably the worst but I think they are the only site that does that void if draw thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

eirebhoy, your bang on about dick dunne... he's been fab this season. even andy gray commented on his desire, after he chased giggs 60 yards to shadow his run. still though, i think o shea is not progressing as i thought he would, and o brein is my 2nd choice centre half, after cunningham.

i'll be there screamin me head off anyway!! gonna be a cracker whatever happens!

• Advertisement
Advertisement