Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Blinding headlights

Options
  • 16-02-2004 3:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

I've seen a few cars with one blown headlight bulb, the other working light seems to be a bit blinding though, almost like it's on full beam.
    Anyone else noticed this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

They probably think they are compensating for the blown one :rolleyes:

I've noticed at least 10% of cars have one blown headlight, why can't people just change the damn things!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Noticed it? After 10 hours at a computer screen it is like hot needles in my eyes...so, yeah..I've noticed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Try getting a car that's really low to the ground - then it's not just vans and 4x4s that annoy the crap out of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Neil_Sedaka
    I've seen a few cars with one blown headlight bulb, the other working light seems to be a bit blinding though, almost like it's on full beam. Anyone else noticed this?
    When one bulb blows, the system does not adjust the current and all the power goes to the one light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

But even that does not explain the current phenomenon of idiots driving with parking and front fog lights.

Why, can anyone tell me, are dipped lights not good enough anymore?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

it's percieved as looking cool

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TommyK

Originally posted by Doctor J
    But even that does not explain the current phenomenon of idiots driving with parking and front fog lights.

Yeah, those fog lights drive me up the f**king wall!

Next time I get a death wish, I'll be tempted to swerve into the other lane and ram the f**king things into the b**tards face! Grrr. . . .

(That's a joke, of course :) I am a safe and consciouenscious (sp?) driver who does'nt get death wishes).

Seriously though, don't people know how to turn the bloody things off or what? I sometimes seems like there's twice as many cars coming towards you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

Originally posted by Doctor J

More lights = more balls probably, I'd probably feel the same if I drove a Nissan Micra too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,187 ✭✭✭kensutz

I had one fella right up the arse of my car with the lights blinding me. I dont even think they were on full beam but whatever he was doing they were really strong. I noticed this on quite a few cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Yeah ... its common practice for boy racers to 'uprev' the lights (well, in Cork and Kerry)... i.e. increase the wattage of the dipped headlights .... I believe that its legal up to a point - the point being where a guard reckons that youre a danger to other road users ....

I saw an idiot in Ballincollig driving around with a neon light _inside_ the car .... what a muppet, I dont know if its illegal

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Had a fuse/wiring go in the car tonight. Left me with one full beam, and the other hardly working. So apologies to all. That said nearly every 2nd car had dims brighter than my full beam. Used to have a low car, was blinded by nearly everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

But even that does not explain the current phenomenon of idiots driving with parking and front fog lights

Don't get me started on this one, I'm glad I'm not the only one it irks. Basically gob****es turn them on because they think they are the "make my car look cool" lights rather than high-viz lights for bad conditions.

It specifically states in the rules of the road that it is illegal to turn them on unless in foggy conditions... if I was a cop I'd spend happy weeks handing out ticket after ticket to these wieners.

My other pet bugbear is people driving grey/black cars at dusk with no headlights at all.... it's like driving a car with a cloaking device, yet some people stubbornly stick to turning on their lights only when it is pitch black.

Advertisement