Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile phone access code

• 16-02-2004 8:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭

Apologies in advance if this is the wrong forum - I looked around to see if I could find a more apposite one, but couldn't.

When you switch on a mobile phone and it asks for your access code, is that the network that's asking, or is it the SIM card itself?

(It's for a story I'm writing.)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

sim card

dont know about your phone but on mine after you type it in it says "sim card unlocked"

i wouldnt know otherwise :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

I've never heard of access code. Usually its either your PIN or PUK or even security code.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

If you buy a new phone, it's automatically setup to accept the first simcard inserted into it as it's "master" for want of a better word - it's the default owner of the phone, so his card should work first time.

after that, any other sim card that is inserted requires an "access code" that will let that sim card work in the phone. i think if you input the wrong code too many times (could be 15/30 i think) the card is black listed by the phone and will NEVER work in it :)

once the correct code is put in it'll remember the sim for ever - so you wont need the access code again.

the PIN code is asked for, to authenticate that you own that particular sim card, it's individual to every card (as in it's set by the user, so it may not be 100% individual :))

the access code is the PHONE'S security, and can, as with the pin code request, be disabled allowing anyone with the phone full access!

Does this answer you question?? :)

Daniel

*edit* the access code is sometimes called the security code :) depends on your model i think ... i may be wrong about this whole post btw :p but that's how i see it working! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Daniel, thanks, yes it does answer my question; I wanted to know whether the access could would still work if the network was down - and obviously it would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

yup it sure will :)

Glad to have been of service :)

daniel

• Advertisement
Advertisement