Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eats Shoots and Leaves - have you read it?

Options
  • 16-02-2004 1:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭

Has anybody read the book of this title? It's about English punctuation.

I find it strange that it appears to be selling so well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Yes I bought it because it was selling unusually well and therefore must be good...I haven't read much of it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

I'm reading it at the moment, enjoying it very much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭dod

One of a batch of books I received at Christmas - it makes for a surprisingly enjoyable read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

So it's more of an entertaining read than a treatise on punctuation then, I take it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Kopf

Well apparently it is still comprehensive while being both an attractive and page-turning read through wit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Read it, liked it. I was given it by a brother who obviously thought I was anal-retentive enough to appreciate it. I suppose he was right - I've been bothered for a long time with poorly placed apostrophes. And I like the semi-colon, dammit.

Two quibbles: a little too short and she accepts everything Fowler had to say as gospel (bold!). When it's funny it's funny though.

Advertisement