Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSU Advice

• 16-02-2004 1:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭

Ok - I was planning on getting a new case & PSU as the first step toward a new system. I'm leaning toward the Aerocool AeropowerII on overclock.co.uk here because it has good reviews and - uh - it looks cool, frankly. The 450watt is out of my budget but I'm wondering if 320w gives me enough overhead to run things like an athlonXP or a P4 with a GPU that needs an additional power connection like the 9800? I'm not planning on running a raid or filling the PCI slots off it or anything, a couple of CD drives, and 2 hard drives would be it. It's rated for a max burst of 420w which seems to me it might be capable of doing ~350w regularly?

Or should I just go for the boring vanilla Vantec 400w?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

http://www.overclock.co.uk/customer/product.php?productid=17045&cat=

i have the antec true power 480w and its fantastico :), if you want a "fancy" psu go for the antec true-blue one instead of the true power. I have had very good recommendations for antec psu's and i wasnt dissapointed..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Again, sort of out of budget, I know the Antec's are rated highly, I'm just not able to stretch that far. Like I say, what I need to know is if a good (be it antec, enermax, vantec, whatever) 320w or 360w PSU just not be able to take the heat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Why not get the Antec Sonata ??
    Its a very well built case , very quiet, comes with a 120mm fan and fantastic PSU. The 380w one is running my system (in sig) without problems so far.......the 9700pro needs aditional power like the 9800's.
    Sonata is available from elara here http://www.elara.ie/products/results.asp?srch=380w&anyallexact=all&manu=

Vantecs are noisey buggers, Antec's , be-quiets, Zalmans are far easier on the ears. If you want a decent system that is very quiet id get the sonata and a zalman CPU heatsink?

PS even with good name brands the output varies...... ie a fortron 300w has been known to produce 390w and power a server while other 400w/420w good name brands wont produce that. If you get a fortron 350w it will have no problems with almost anything you throw at it. Antec 380w pretty much the same..... am not that sure about the 350w (smartpower)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,654 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Fotron 350W for €48

This actually generates 400W and is virtually silent. Great value for money :)

Advertisement