Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So---Esat/Utvip etc?????

• 16-02-2004 3:06pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So does anyone think that these "competitors" will now bring out new packages to "compete" with Eircoms new "cheaper" offerings.

And if so what can they offer in terms of competing.I mean before the changes Eircon were 54.45 incl vat and Iol were 49.99 inc vat.So does this mean we`ll see a sub €35 package(well 35.53) with IOL.Will someone still offer free connection,modem etc.

Apparently Iol have new packages in the pipeline and will announced before months end.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 yallingup

UTV and Esat will spill the beans within a week or two. Don't expect huge discounts. Up to a fiver with UTV, I reckon. Less with Esat unless you take their phone/broadband bundle. There's less wiggle room in the wholesale price, I think.

It's likely they'll try to better the caps too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Hellrazer
    So does anyone think that these "competitors" will now bring out new packages to "compete" with Eircoms new "cheaper" offerings.

And if so what can they offer in terms of competing.I mean before the changes Eircon were 54.45 incl vat and Iol were 49.99 inc vat.So does this mean we`ll see a sub €35 package(well 35.53) with IOL.Will someone still offer free connection,modem etc.
    The wholesale price has dropped about by about €8.50, but oreillycom have dropped their retail prices by €14.45. This means that UTV and IOL have very little scope for undercutting oreillycoms prices - they have to find €6 slack just to keep pace with oreillycom. (The actual service costs a lot less to provide than the wholesale price IOL and UTV have to pay, so oreillycom are making a profit off you, even if you get your service through UTV or IOL).

So no, it' not likely that you'll see a €35 package. As for the modem, oreillycom will be including a modem with the service (it's not a "free modem" as such, as they're clearly stating that they retain ownership of it). It's likely that IOL and UTV won't have any choice but to follow suit. There won't be any free connection either for the time being.

if you're still sitting on the fence, sign up this week with IOL or UTV and get that free installation - you'll be able to "downgrade" to the lower priced packages shortly, but even if you decide not to, you'll be saving the €99 connection fee - that's worth about €8/month!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

UTV's Clicksilver package has dropped to 38something for current customers. My mate is on it and his pre bill showed this as soon as eircom released the new prices. I guess it is best to wait for the offical word tho and it was only a prebill

Advertisement