Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting 2 PC's to DSL modem?!

• 16-02-2004 4:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,981 ✭✭✭✭

I know this topic has been touched on numerous times before but i can't seem to find a simple answer to the following:

A friend of mine wants to get Broadband in but has two PC's in the house that he wants to connect to the DSL Modem. He thinks it's as simple as connecting 1 PC via the Ethernet port in the modem and 1 PC via the USB port in the modem but i'm 98% sure this isn't possible...

Can someone back me up?

Cheers!

Brian

PS - And what would be the simplest way of connecting 2 PC's to the same DSL Modem?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I haven't come across a dsl modem that has ethernet and usb ports....
    Personally i'd go for a decent dsl modem/router in one, you can get good netgear ones for <150 euro, you just hook up the phone cable to it, it'll pretty much do everything for you, just enter in your username/pass, and then hook up your 2 pc's to the ethernet ports on it. That's the easiest way really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,981 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Cheers eth0_

The modem supplied with Eircom's BB (Netopia Cayman 3300 Series) has a port for both USB and Ethernet (last time i checked it did anyways!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

yes the Netopia Cayman has both usb and ethernet connections
    but ethernet is better than usb
    and since its not just a modem its also a routher heres the best thing to do
    buy a cheap switch (i got mine on komplett.ie for €25) connect the modem/router and the 2 pc's into the switch set the pc's to autamaticly obtain the ip address and your all setup both pc's are connected to the net :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by basquille
    A friend of mine wants to get Broadband in but has two PC's in the house that he wants to connect to the DSL Modem. He thinks it's as simple as connecting 1 PC via the Ethernet port in the modem and 1 PC via the USB port in the modem but i'm 98% sure this isn't possible...

Can someone back me up?
    Fraid not. Your friend is correct - he can do that.

oreillycom even metion it specificallyt in the FAQs now:
    What will I require if I am self-installing broadband and want to network it into my system?
    The eircom broadband home starter includes all that is needed to network two PCs. eircom broadband home plus includes a four-port router. This allows up to 4 computers to share the Internet connection.

Please note: eircom net can only offer support for the basic function of connecting these computers to the Internet. eircom net do not support complex office networking procedures as standard with these products.

In these cases, please contact eircom net sales or your IT company for further options.

Note that IOL and oreillycom both provide DSL equpiment with ethernet and USB prorts as standard.

ya that is right you can use usb and ethernet at the same time for 2 pc's
    but switchs are cheap and will give better performance

• Advertisement

Originally posted by basquille
    Cheers eth0_

The modem supplied with Eircom's BB (Netopia Cayman 3300 Series) has a port for both USB and Ethernet (last time i checked it did anyways!)
    The Zyxel Prestige 623 provided by IOL alos has Ethernet and USB ports.

Originally posted by Ripwave
    Fraid not. Your friend is correct - he can do that.

oreillycom even metion it specificallyt in the FAQs now:

i didnt realise http://www.oreilly.com/
    the guys that make the well known IT books made a faq for eircom :confused:

Originally posted by tuxx
    i didnt realise http://www.oreilly.com/
    the guys that make the well known IT books made a faq for eircom :confused:
    That's because they don't.

whats this about oreilly.com then?

whats this about oreilly.com then?
    Beats me? Who said anything about oreilly.com? I'm talking about the communications company that Tony O'Reilly bought last year (with a little help from Charlie)

• Advertisement

i thought it was valentia that owned eircom
    iv never heard of an organisation called oreillycom

lol, it's ripwave's pet name for eircom. Tony O'Reilly is head of Valentia telecom who took over eircom. Hasn't really caught on though, as a nick name. I'll stick with Eircon myself.

That's because Tony O'Reilly doesn't want to remind you that you're lining his pockets every time you pay for telecommunications. I do want you to remember, so I use his name when I refer to the company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭sixtysix

never forget that you are also lining the pockets of the employees who also own a significant part of eircom and might also just happen to be your next door neighbour.
    the silence of their union following the last rental increase was deafening.

Maybe sixtysix and ripwave could quit dragging threads off topic? Thanks. 'ppreciate it.

Advertisement