Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recipe Request

• 16-02-2004 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭

Do you have a recipe that you really enjoy making, or that is your best dish? I have a few things that I enjoy making/eating, but most involve a skill level of ruining veg in the microwave, and I am looking to expand.

In short, if you have any favorite dishes for one or more, feel free to post. And before anyone points me in the direction of the stickys, they all involve signing up to the 'get a free wok before you glance at a recipe' type site and I don't need a wok. Or American measurements.

So, any skills/signs of inspiration, I would dearly appreciate. Starter, Main Course or Desert, Meat or Veg. I'm open to suggestion. Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

1lb Minced Beef
    1lb Superquinn Sausages
    1 Egg
    2 Tins of Tomatos
    Some tomato pureé
    Salt & Pepper
    Rice

Strip the sausages of the skin, and put into a bowl with the mince and mix with your hands, add the egg and about one and a half squeezes of tomato pureé, mix again with some salt&pepper until it is all a big ball of meat.

Now make small balls of meat, you should be able to make about 10 from this amount of mixture. Fry each until brown, and place on some kitchen paper to absorb the grease.

Put the 2 tins of tomatos into a pot, and add some tomato pureé, about one squeez should do. Boil this, if too thick add water, if too thin add cornflour.

Once boiled, add the Meatballs, cook for about 30 mins, serve with boiled rice.

If you like you could add some mushrooms to the sauce, I normally do.

I love this dish. Simple to make, and very tasty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Satay (Of any type)

In a bowl mix 1 tablespoon peanut butter, a good splash soya sauce, some toasted sesame oil and if you have it, a little bit of chinese wine. Mix together, and as it's probably still going to be thick add enough water to bring it to the consistency you want.

In a wok or suitable pan flash fry onions, garlic, ginger and chillies, add veg of your choice (me, I like peppers and green beans/sugar snap peas). Add meat (again for a quick fix, i throw in a can of John West shrimps) and cook. If you want noodles, now is the time to add them. Have them boiled them before hand and refresh them in cold water. this stops them from cooking further and from sticking together. Fry them in the wok with the meat and veg and finally add the sauce. Cook for 30s and serve. Yumm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Walls

Okay I will be steping away from the computer for a week while I attend to other matters. However on my return I will be trying out each recipe and posting up how it went and tasted for all to see, so watch this space.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Heres a few for ya..... I cook these regulary at home cause there quick, tasty and easy.

1/ Sirloin steak in a black bean sauce.

Sirloin Steak.
    1 green pepper.
    1 onion.
    1 jar of black bean sauce.
    1 tsp of Olive Oil.
    1 bag frozen wok vegatables.
    Egg noodles

Cut up your onion and fry off in a wok/frying pan. Cut up sirloin into strips and fry in wok with your onions until meat turns brown. Cut up green pepper into strips and add to the pan. Add frozen veggies to the pan. Stir in your sauce and leave to simmer for 25-30 mins. Towards the end add your noodles to boilding water - bring back to the boil and turn off the heat. Leave the noodles in the water for 4 mins to serve directly or 2 mins - to add the stir fry (for a further 2 mins).

Serve with fresh rolls.

2/ American burgers.

4-5 tbsp olive oil
    2 tbsp butter
    1 large onion, thinly sliced
    450g lean minced beef
    dash of sweet chilli sauce
    few drops of Tabasco sauce
    flour, for binding
    salt and freshly ground black pepper

For the garnish:
    soured cream and chives
    grated cheese
    shredded iceberg lettuce
    sliced tomatoes
    ketchup
    tomato and cucumber relish

Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil and half the butter in a frying pan. Add the onion and fry over medium-high heat, stirring, for about 10 minutes until golden. Set aside and keep warm.

In a bowl, combine the meat, chilli sauce and Tabasco. Season with salt and pepper. Add a sprinkling of flour to bind, and mix well with a fork. Mould into two burgers.

Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a frying pan over high heat. Add the burgers and fry for 5
    12 minutes, depending how well you like them done.

Place the burgers on serving plates and top with the onions. Serve with garnishes of your choice.

3/ Schwartz Chicken Curry (with Aubergine)

Ingredients
    2 tbs oil
    450 g (1 lb) boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed
    1 onion, sliced
    1 tbs plain flour
    4 tsp Schwartz Medium Curry Powder
    300 ml (1/2 pint) chicken stock
    225 g (8 oz) aubergine, cubed
    1 tbs mango chutney

Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Fry the chicken and onion for 3-4 minutes until browned. Stir in flour and Curry Powder. Cook for 1 minute. Blend in the stock and bring to the boil, stirring until thickened. Add the aubergine and chutney.

Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Serve with rice.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

last night I had pork chops
    this is a quick and easy one as I don't like to spend forever in the kitchen after a days work

fry (or grill if you prefer) the chops
    when they're done, melt some butter, add a dash of white wine and a dash of lemon juice -
    chops on dish, sause on chops
    I had it with pasta and bagette
    not haute cuisine but damn tasty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Cooked this Beef Stroganoff yesterday cause I saw it on tv last week and it was very tasty ;) I served it with bite-size roasted potatoes instead of matchstick chips!
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/beefstroganoffwithma_71568.shtml

I gave the meatball recipe a go on Friday night, buying the ingredients and making my way to the home of the SO so as to impress with my culinary skills. The meatballs themselves were more than easy to make, but a few things I'd note;

Make sure the sausages are almost pureed to ensure the mixture of meat is equal.

Feel free to add another egg or flour to make them more cohesive in the pan (ours fell apart quite spectularly but still tasted good so no harm).

The recipe doesn't state this overtly but I put it in the oven from the pan at 200 degrees for 20 minutes, lowering the temperature to 150 for the last 5.

Tasted excellent, and in hindsight you could get quite advanced with it, in adding whatever 'erbs and spices took your fancy before putting it in the frying pan. Plus the SO is still talking to me, so its all good.

Righto - next up, the satay.

Hey thanks dude, for tryin my recipe, cool.

I too thought about adding herbs and stuff, it worked well, but I prefer the simpler version, personal taste though.

Glad the SO is still talkin to you too!

Hope the Satay goes well, good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 fig

yes, the meat balls were good, if a little bit .. umm... not meat ball shaped. They tasted surprisingly excellent though.

we could have done a better job with cooking timings, we had the spagetti cooked and ready to go before the meatballs, by about 10 minutes - and also when is spagetti done? My usual method is to either taste it or just guess - that looks done.

overall, a superb job. very tasty.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Originally posted by fig
    and also when is spagetti done? My usual method is to either taste it or just guess - that looks done.

Throw a strand at a tiled wall. If it sticks, it's done. Well, that's what my mother told me!

• Advertisement

I must tell my mother that her recipe for meatballs is fast becoming famous on the internet!

She'll be well impressed!

Thanks lads!

I'm gonna try the Satay recipe myself on saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

this is good stuff guys,
    i have a penchant for tasting dishes and being able to make them the day after, i can post some more if someone tries this and says they like it...

1 clove of garlic finely chopped
    1 onion coarsely chopped
    1 tomato
    1 tin of spinach
    1 tin of chickpeas
    3 tsps curry paste
    40 ml coconut milk
    sage and dill – these are quite important.

Remember these are in ratio, this would feed 2 people comfortably, if you want to feed more, then multiply in ratio. Always make more than less .
    1 .So fry off the onion and garlic in salt, oil, and pepper (doesn’t have to be olive oil) – low heat ensuring garlic doesn’t go brown –3/5 mins should suffic

2. Add the spinach, stir, and leave to simmer for 2 mins
    3. Add the chickpeas / par boiled potatotes
    4. Stir in the curry paste.
    5. Put in the tomato, these should be chopped in fifths or sixths, not small bitty things.
    6. Throughout this you should continuously add coconut milk to ensure that the mess doesn’t stick.
    7. It should be no longer cooking than thirty minutes,
    Serve with rice garnished with coriander

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

budget sweet and sour

if you're really short of cash ever, give this a go. ideal for those times when payday is just that little bit far away and you have to eat.

1 can of tesco's value (blue & white stripe) sweet and sour
    2 packs of value noodles (sheap super noodles. 15c per pack i think, as opposed to the koka ones at 60c and the real super noodles at about 1.30) any flavour you like, but the chicken one is a bit salty, so be warned.
    any veg you have laying about
    bit of meat if you can afford it, chicken portions are fairly cheap if you cook them then remove the bones before you chuck them in the mix. or pork would be nice too.
    bit of tinned sweetcorn is good for bulking it up a bit.
    maybe stir fry a whisked egg on its own in the pan first too if you like to bulk it up again a bit more.

anyway cook the veg off and the meat too if you used it fresh.

then cook the noodles and throw them in with the rest of the stuuf and the sauce.

it's very cheap to make (less than 3 quid for 2 people if you skimp on the meat a bit, and the sauce and noodles are a lot better than you'd expect for something that price.

anyway something to fall back on if you're really stuck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Any chance this could be stickied?

Originally posted by daveg
    Any chance this could be stickied?

I most definitely second that motion.

Right, gave the beloved another fine example of the culinary skills on Saturday*. Have to say it was one of the nicer satays I've had - a real punch to it that didn't deny the gentle taste of the veg. Recommend adding as much oil as you like, as in this way it spreads the sauce around perfectly without drowning the other ingredients. Took about half an hour to make in the pan, and it lived for about three minutes on my plate.

Yum Yum!! Now, I think steak in black bean sauce is the next one.

*This is a lie. He did all the cooking and I made yummy noises.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,134 ✭✭✭fitz

4 chicken fillets
    Block of smoked mozerrela
    1 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
    Fresh basil, finely chopped
    Bag of sundried tomatoes (or a jar of them in olive oil if you can find them)
    Olive oil
    Mixed salad
    Balsamic vinegar
    1 Lemon
    Wholegrain mustard
    1 box of cocktail sticks
    1/2 pint of chicken stock

Place 2 chicken fillets on an oiled backing tray, smooth side down.
    Slice mozerella and place on top of each fillet.
    Sprinkle basil over the mozerella.
    Place other chicken fillets on top, smooth side up, then pin the top and bottom fillets together, around the edges, with the cocktail sticks, essentially creating a cheese and basil sambo with the fillets.

Throw in a pre-heated oven at 180 degrees. 20 minutes should cook them.

Blend the sun-dried tomatoes and garlic together with a generous dash of olive oil adding the chicken stock as you blend.
    You want to get a loose paste.
    Add teaspoon of sugar, it'll soften the taste of the tomatoes.
    Heat a pan with some olive oil, then pour in the tomatoes sauce and leave to reduce on a medium/low heat until you have a bordering on thick consistency to the sauce.

Half fill a ramakin dish with olive oil, then add a dash of balsamic vinegar, a teaspoon of the mustard, and a liberal squeeze of lemon juice.
    Whisk together with a fork.

Serve the chicken with the tomatoe sauce covering it, , salad on the side with the lemon dressing drizzled over it, with a bowl of mixed baby vegetables tossed in butter.

Yum.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I'm still waiting for you to cook me this fitz....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 sheleentje

Has anyone got a good (but simple-ish) recipe for Pavlova?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

2 Salmon Fillets with skin
    Tbsp Oil
    Knob Butter
    2 Large Oranges
    1 Tbsp Sugar
    3 Tbsp Freshly Chopped Dill
    1 Tsp Cornflour
    Salt and Black Pepper

1. Season the Salmon with Salt and Pepper and 1 tbsp of the dill.

2. Quater the oranges and make a paste of sugar, remaining dill, cornflour and juice from one orange quater. Cover and stand.

3. Add oil and butter to skillet pan; swirl to coat.
    When oil shimmers (but does not smoke) add fillets skin side down and cook without moving for about 30 seconds.

4.Reduce heat to medium-high and cook for 4 minutes.
    Turn fillets and cook, without moving them, until they are no longer translucent on the exterior and are firm, but not hard, when touched (about 3-4 minutes). Remove and keep warm.

5. Add Paste to pan and mix with salmon juices until sizzling (Keep stirring or it will congeal and burn). Squeeze juice from remaining orange quaters into pan while mixing continuously. Bring to boil and immediately reduce heat to simmer until liquid volume halves.

Pour over salmon and serve immediately.

I usually serve with:

Boiled baby potatoes coated in butter and fresh parsely

and

Bayou Green Beans:
    Drain water of boiled fresh whole green beans.
    Add 1 level tbsp mustard (english), 1 tbsp sugar, 1 tsp Worchester sauce and 2 tbsp butter. Mix over low-med heat until sugar dissolves and liquid starts to bubble. Serve

• Advertisement

Made this one Friday.

Make sure the meat is throughly browned and seasoned before adding anything else.

Keep your heat high while adding the vegtables, the little suckers can take it.

The bean sauce needs exactly the amount of time specified (25-30) to be absorbed into the ingredients; creates that infused flavour the dish should have.

And this one is a note to self - keep the portions of meat and veg smaller next time!

Advertisement