Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying my first car soon 3000 euros

Options
  • 16-02-2004 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭

Hi Lads

I am buying my first car soon(yipee). Looking for recomendations it will have to be aroun 1L to 1.3L also n e 1 no why its so cheap to get insured in a micra.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Originally posted by mickb00
    also n e 1 no why its so cheap to get insured in a micra.

Because it is a 1.0 L, the smaller the engine the cheaper the insurance (in general!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

A Micra would be a sound first car for €3000. They almost never break down.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Fiesta,Corsa,Micra,Saxo,Clio,Swift etc are all in the same class.

Shop around, it really does pay. Make sure it has an NCT cert as well

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Cant recommend more highly for a first car than a Corsa. You can get 7 or 8 year old Corsas with less that 60k for less than €2000, if you shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

Are corsa's that reliable though I thought they had a bit of a bad rep. As per insurance Im 27 and never driven before I have been quoted 2000 for 1.3 fiesta and 1000 for a 1l micra this is with quinn direct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭KoNiT

nothing wrong with micra's, great little small car,

Please remember You instantly have an upper hand in the forecourts, so shop around to get a good deal & ensure a good warranty

have a look @ www.carzone.ie & www.cbg.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 65,372 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by mike65
    A Micra would be a sound first car for €3000. They almost never break down.

Mike.

That was my first car - owned it for nearly 3 years until it was nearly 6 years old. Nothing ever needed replacing :)

Brilliant first car and the best in your price range - no competition (Yaris and Fabia came way later)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Originally posted by mickb00
    Are corsa's that reliable though I thought they had a bit of a bad rep. As per insurance Im 27 and never driven before I have been quoted 2000 for 1.3 fiesta and 1000 for a 1l micra this is with quinn direct.

The one I have is fine. A good service history (and previous lady owners) count for a lot. It also feels a lot bigger than you might expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭padraigmyers

It might be a good idea to have a look at some Jap Import garges, all these cars go trough testing before they enter
    the country so they are usually in good condition, plus the Japanesse tend to get all the extras when they buy a car so
    you will probably have electric everything (my mother got a 1991 Micra and it had electric windows, mirrors etc!).

With the strength of the euro at the moment, Jap Imports are a little cheaper. Plus Honda, Toyota, Mitsubishi etc are
    probably the most reliable cars in the market. Have a look at Corolla, Starlet, Colt, Micra, Civic (isurance on the civic will
    probably rule it out though). All those are availible 1.3 or below.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Seat ibiza is a solid reliable car too with a great 1 litre engine. Stay away from anything that lloks like it's been anywhere near a boy racer though. Standard is best.

• Advertisement
Advertisement