Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sound server

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Yamaha, Marantz and Cyrus also have music server systems but havent seen any prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Are you planning to use it just as a hi-fi add on in one room, or are you attracted by the ability to play different CDs in different rooms at the same time from it? This really is the difference between a laptop playing MP3s and a proper audio hard drive server like the Imerge unit. These products are designed to integrate with multi-room audio systems such as OPUS, Linn, Systemline etc, and thats how they can get away with charging so much.

From my experience the Marantz DH9300 is the best of the bunch, but it is the guts of €4000. For this you get a 4-output unit, which may be more than you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 MONKi

robbie,

yeah it would just be a hifi separate and one output is really all I need, i would go down the route of using a PC but Im really not sure of how to control the thing, I know you can use linux and set up infra red or a GUI through your TV but Im not sure sure Id have the technical knowledge to do it

Any comments on this robbie?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

My own experience is with the multi-room hard drives, but I have done one or two of the single room Sound Servers in my time. Apart from the Imerge products, I haven't done any other single room servers, so can't comment on them.

Unfortunately I too don't have the technical expertise to set up a PC based system, but I suspect that this would be the way to go. It would undoubtably by more cost effective than purchasing a standalone Sound Server.

Maybe posting your query on Remote Central or AV Forums might get you some more specific replies from people more knowledgeable than me!

Good luck with the project

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 MONKi

Thanks mate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

What about Windows Media Center? Won't that do what you want combined with a basic PC with a decent sound card i.e. Audigy etc ?

Tinky

Advertisement