Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thermal Paste help please.....

• 16-02-2004 5:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    I'm changing my mobo, and going to use my old chip in it.
    I'm wondering whats the best/handiest solution for removing the old thermal pad residue and what thermal paste should I use?

If anybody in Galway knows where would sell the paste as opposed to waiting for mail order, that would be a great help.

Thanks, Pat.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

antec silver is a good paste that ive used for the past few months and never had any problems

I'm wondering whats the best/handiest solution for removing the old thermal pad residue and what thermal paste should I use?

Use nail varnish remover

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Originally posted by Big Chief
    Use nail varnish remover

Nail varnish remover can have impurities in it, like oils used in scented varnish remover. Try to find pure acetone if you can (art and hobby shops might be a good place to ask).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

ive always used nail varnish remover and ive never had a problem, thats what i was told to use off a friend and thats why i recommended it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭logistic

I would recommend acetone (aka generic Nail Polish Remover) Just use a tiny bit. Used it recently and had no problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭SemperFi

I use aftershave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,654 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Isopropyl Alcohol is best, esp 99.9%, but using acetone will do grand

Note that nail varnish remover is mainly acetone, but has impurities. Have used it (nail varnish remover) several times without problems. For optimal performance it should not be recommended though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

If you have a pressure cooker and some plastic tubing you can make a still - triple distill some booze you don't like the taste of and you'll have 90+ pure alcohol to get the thermal paste off, and you can drink the remainder (if you've got the b@lls).

Sico's right, nail varnish remover has impurities and scents in it which doesn't sit too well on the stomach, I can't recommend it in good faith.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,654 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by Slutmonkey57b
    If you have a pressure cooker and some plastic tubing you can make a still - triple distill some booze you don't like the taste of and you'll have 90+ pure alcohol to get the thermal paste off, and you can drink the remainder (if you've got the b@lls).

Sico's right, nail varnish remover has impurities and scents in it which doesn't sit too well on the stomach, I can't recommend it in good faith.

LOL reminds me of the good old days drinking neat Stroh-rum (80% vol alcohol)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭patch

Thanks for the help guys! Some great suggestions there, bit I reckon I'll track down some acetone...... :D

Advertisement