Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

servers

Options
  • 24-09-2000 10:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭

Dang... and i quote from the www.quake.ie site help introduction page...:

"But when we were thinking of things to throw up on this site, we realised that for a new person, i.e. someone who walks into Game or somewhere and buys Quake3, it's extremely hard to get into the game, because to play it properly you need to have it configured optimally, need to know where to play, how to play different opponents etc."

to whittle that down to the important peice of information:

"need to know where to play"

and yet, mysteriously, i have had no success in finding this information on afforementioned website.

i have asked multiple times on this board as to where decent IRISH servers can be found, but each time i ask, i get perhaps 2 posts in reply to the thread, each of which says something along the lines of:

'ireland doesn't have any decent quake servers, we all use uk servers'

or

'i don't know'

i would have thought that if ireland really had a quake "community" it would be easy to find this kind of thing out when posting to the "quake" board.

it also strikes me as remarkably unusual that there is no Irish servers given that when i did try to play on a server in the UK (barrysworld) i was continually getting disconnects or lagged to the point that i can't move. and considering that high speed internet is just not available in this country (well, at least, not to a local home) it just doesn't seem logical to be playing on an international server....

does the fact that people seem to be so unwilling to share any information have something to do with an irish mentality of hostility towards foreign quakers? or the fact that one Venom used to use the same nick as i do (Carnage) and people think that i am bull****ting about wanting to know where the decent quake2 servers are? well i genuinely do want to know! after all, me and Venom genuinely are different people.

Or, possibly is it the fact that the main servertype that i am looking for would be a "quake2" server, although, i'm getting desparate enough that i will even play quake3.

having said all that, the question still remains:

where do i go to play on a fast reliable server running quake2 and/or quake3?

even if there aren't actually any fast Irish quake servers, surely there are servers in the UK which are predominantly used by irish players? and are servers which have a stable and low pingtime from ireland?

hmm, having said all that, i guess i should put a disclaimer onto it aswell....

Please excuse the long nature of this post, it is in no way intended to offend any one individual and/or group of individuals, however, i have reached a point of frustration in trying to find out this particular peice of information, that i felt that my purpose needed slight clarification. and just to satisfy those of you that require it:

smile.gif

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

I remember you asking was there a Quake2 server in #quake.ie before, and no, there's isn't a Quake 2 server in this country, and there's hasn't been one for months.

Quake3 servers :
    vishnu.ign.ie
    games1.iol.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Rapier-q3

you said you always get 2 replies so ill help you reach the record...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭2040

w00p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

I have an ISDN line and I earn £4.40 an hour.

Put 'em in your mouth and suck 'em
    Clan Acid

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

There are no Quake 2 servers in Ireland. We are considering putting one up if we get the spare capacity.

Most of these forums are for Quake or Quake3.
    Quake 2 isn't supported nearly as well. This is probably why you didnt get the answers you desired.

DeVore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Borric

Originally posted by Sico:
    I have an ISDN line and I earn £4.40 an hour.

What a waste of money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Carnage

Yay, i got more that 2 replies!!!! new record folks smile.gif

thanks for reclarifying that there are no quake2 servers in ireland, i'm sure that i will log onto one of the quake3 servers and have a bash at some stage soon, perhaps when i'm not asleep, or at work.

but i still wouldn't mind knowing where a good quake2 server is, even if it's an international one... but it'd be nice if it was possible to get consistently lower than a 230 pingtime......

cheers folks smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

Advertisement