Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rollerblades...

Options
  • 16-02-2004 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, can anyone give some advice on where to get some blades in Dublin?
    I want to get some to help with my skiing.
    Also, any advice on how they should fit?
    Ta.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭evie

What kind of help do you need with your sking??
    I know that for fit, ski boots should be so comfortable that you want to wear them in bed. They should NOT rub your feet anywhere otherwise it's trés painful to ski and/or walk.
    As for places to go, have been to Austria - nightlife is fab
    Andorra is really good if you're a beginner or you want nice wide gentle slopes. Austria is good if you want a bit of a challenge!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Hey thanks for the reply...
    Im just back from Val d'Isere and want to be able to do something skiing related during the summer so I have decided to take up blading.

Yah, I have been to Soldeu a few times, the best part of Andorra imo.

Val had the nicest slopes I have ever seen, and millions of them, but the place is a total rip off, €3.60 for a can of coke...:ninja:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭PrecariousNuts

I was in Tignes over Christmas/New Year and I can only thank god for the snow we got there. It was simply bliss, everyday the sun was shining and a fresh covering of snow had fallen.

What advice do you need with your skiing?

I fell in love with the Saloman Teneighty ski over there, I've been looking around for a pair but I don't really know when to buy. They were 430 without bindings over there and I'm wondering if the price drops at certain times of the year etc.

Hmm this seems to be getting slightly out of hand :ninja:
    I dont actually need any help skiing, I just want to get blades so I can "practice" skiing during the summer.

I buy all my ski stuff (boots, skis, bindings) in Andorra, its so much cheaper than anywhere else for the exact same stuff.

I got a pair of Atomics about 3 years ago for €300 including bindings and a bag, they were going for over $800 in the US at that time....

Avoid buying ski gear in Great Outdoors, total rip off, and I always prefer to buy stuff from people who live/work at the slopes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭PrecariousNuts

Originally posted by redoxan
    I want to get some to help with my skiing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

How do you think rollerblading will help improve your skiing? Surely rollerblading would be a lot more like cross-country skiing than alpine skiing (which is what I think you're talking about)! Unless of course you intend to go rollerblading from the top of hills/mountains with poles to propel you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭evie

No, rollerblading is said to build up muscles that you use for skiing, i.e. your thighs. Ever notice downhill skiers thighs? Could crack walnuts if you ask me.
    Also rollerblading is said to help with balance. And, from experience, in order to turn on rollerblades, you use the same muscles and method that you would if you were skiing.
    Also, rolllerblading will keep you fit, and that's a necessity if you're going skiing!

Just my thoughts!
    :)

Evie:
    Exactly, rollerblading and ice-skating are very beneficial for skiers.

Imposter:
    You use the same motion to blade as you do it skate on skies.
    You need to use the same balance, the same pressure on your calf, the more confortable you can get on blades the better your skiing will be.

PrecariousNuts:
    learn to read more than one line at a time, you will find it helps you out in life.
    If I wanted skiing advice, I would have created a thread about skiing, not about blades.:dunno:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Ye I knew that rollerblading would help with balance and fitness but I didn't immediately see the other benifits.

I really hate having to skate on skis, if it's a longish distance I usually just take off the skis and walk (ye, ye I know it's the lazy option). Maybe building up the calves might make this easier.

I suppose it would get you into a better stance too as if you lean a bit too far back on the blades you'd be on your arse unlike with skis where you just lose control (depending on how far back you go and how good your control was in the first place).

Anyways, i've got another months skiing to look forward to before I need to find something else to do.:D

I really hate having to skate on skis, if it's a longish distance I usually just take off the skis and walk (ye, ye I know it's the lazy option).
    Actuallly I really hate walking with boots/skis!
    I much prefer to skate, even uphill.
    There is a technique to it, try to stay on one foot for longer, and use both your poles, and make sure that you are using your edges.
    I find that I use way less energy to skate than to walk.
    Just takes practice I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Anna11

I had the same idea about rollerblading. I'm wondering if there's anywhere in Dublin where you could get a few lessons??????

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

Hey guys,

Dublin prices are well expensive!!! I sell K2 and roces inline skates for a about 20% - 30% cheaper than Blvd or skate city

inline skating is great for skiers who want to train in off seasons to stay fit. K2 do a nordic range and others too with large wheels for all types of surfaces.

greebo, you should call me to chat more about it. I skate now for over 12 years and offer lessons too through the goreyskateclub

look forward to hearing from you and others

grant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 kidflan07

Hello
    Ive just started Rollerblading and Im looking to meet other who are interested. Im going to be doing it in the phoenix Park. Im looking for girls or fellas who are interested. This is a genuine post to share an interest with somone else who is also into inline blading

Fran

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 kidflan07

HI Anna
    I dont know if there are lessons but Im starting and it would be nice to train with someone. So please let me know if you are interested. Fran

Advertisement