Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creating Website

Options
  • 16-02-2004 8:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭

I have absolutely no experience in making websites but I would like to create a website for irish international football news (like soccercentral.ie except it will only be about international fooball). Is there any tools that I can make a proper site with?

Sorry for the short post but I haven't got a lot of time, ask as many questions as you like.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

notepad
    dream weaver
    front page

try google...

the list goes on and on and on and on ariston etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by irish life
    Sorry for the short post but I haven't got a lot of time, ask as many questions as you like.
    It works the other way around irish life. Our time is more important than yours. :)

It sounds like you haven't done any web publishing before, in which case it's quite possible you should be looking at a Content Management solution. If you have content ready to go, drop me a line, we might be able to arrange a solution and some space on Foot.ie.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭paulthelegend

Do a course :) even frontpage etc ud have to at least read a book .... like frontpage for dummies, will take about 2 months to learn in between a full time job, then ull be able to make .... something.

for a complete beginner id recommend dreamweaver to learn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Foot.ie.
    The first I've heard of that site. I've just registered on the forum.:)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

will people stop referring Frontpage - it has nothing to do with building good HTML compliant websites.
    If you are going to spend money on a package then get Dreamweaver or something.

• Advertisement

Frontpage is fine for a n00b that doesn't want to spend silly money on something like Dreamweaver. It's output has never been perfect, but it hasn't been as bad as people whine for years.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Notepad is better for a newbie than Frontpage.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Fergal C

I've been dabbling (a part time hobby) in web design for some time and would suggest the following.

If this is a one off site that you want to run as a business I'd suggest that you pay someone to design it for you. To do it yourself will take ages and the finished site won't be as good as paying a professional to do it.

Plus you may find that you spend a lot of time learning stuff and then because you don't use if very often you partially forget it so you have to relearn some of it when you are doing it for the second time a couple of months later. If you are setting up a business you will have plenty of other things to spend your time on.

If you really want to diy or can't afford a designer I'd suggest you learn some html before you touch any of the editing packages. If you are going to do design any way seriously you will need to know some html and I think it would be much easier to learn html when you have not been making sites with editors.

WRT Frontpage v's Dreamweaver, Dreamweaver is obviously a superior product. My own experience is that I learnt FP first and then spent a lot of time learning DW. However, I still can't design professional sites, it's art as well as technology. I think my time would have been better spent improving my knowledge of FP. DW is a professional's tool and I found it more difficult to learn than FP.

In summary

if this site will be a business venture pay someone to develop the, site if you can afford it (not sure that you could afford not to in terms of time and presenting a professional image)

if you want to create a one off site which doesn't need to be of excellent quality learn Frontpage

if you really want to learn website design learn html and then dreamweaver (ignore FP). I'd also suggest doing a course at a local college. Learning on your own is difficult.

These are just my opinions based on personal experience, I'm far from an expert and I don't have any tech or graphics background. Also I'm over 30 so it takes me longer and longer to learn new computer stuff.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

I'll do your site for nothing :)

PM me

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Originally posted by Henri

Also I'm over 30 so it takes me longer and longer to learn new computer stuff.

Don't worry - there are quite a few of us who have passed the big "three oh"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭buddy

Frontpage is very easy to learn, thats why people use it, and one book can get you sorted in no time - if you sit yourself down and don't do anything but read the book and play around with Frontpage then I'd say 2 weeks could get you going.

But I would advise learning some HTML first - www.webmonkey.com

But it does cost money so you could also look for free editors on www.download.com - be wary.

The other option is to have someone do it for you and in that case you'll need a budget - because even if they do it for nothing, you have to pay for hosting/domain name etc and then you have to consider the trade off of getting the work done free but linking back to the web designer so he/she can get some non pro bono work out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

Originally posted by kbannon
    will people stop referring Frontpage - it has nothing to do with building good HTML compliant websites.
    If you are going to spend money on a package then get Dreamweaver or something.

Dreamweaver is nearly as bad tbh

and i don't think he's that really worried starting of it's HTML cimplicant or not

don't be such a muppet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 ter

go to http://www.htmlgoodies.com/
    and learn HTML you will learn it in a day or two do the html primer.
    Because if you are going to create a site with an editor like frontpage or dreamweaver You will encounter problems or will later want to add more functionality
    so personaly i think you should learn html first . Also its not a programming language it just tells your internet browser where to position things so its actually quite easy and logical to learn.

Personally i think frontpage is Shi*e and i have been around for a while .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

If you haven't any experience in doing anything webrelated it's going to be a tough job.

It all depends on what you want. If it's just a news service then I'd reccommend www.typepad.com it's a commercial service, but should offer all the things you need, a proper domain, an easy to update system etc...

It would be very easy for you to get up and running that way, and it's only about €50 a year, for the basic package.

Originally posted by JustHalf
    Notepad is better for a newbie than Frontpage.
    Depends on your definition of "better". Some people just want to make a website without having to fiddle around with HTML, and without having to spend a weeks wages on DW. Personally, I've found that most of the people that bitch about FP haven't used it in years. Which is the same as saying that PHPNuke is insecure because it was exploited five years ago.

adam /who can't believe he's defending fp

Advertisement