Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New eircom DSL - Static IP?

• 16-02-2004 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Any1 know if the new eircom home packages are still all dynamic IPs, or are the any static ones? Im on the Eur55/month deal, and i might stay that way if im gonna get a static IP......

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

afaik they're static.

However even if they aren't, just log yourself onto www.dyndns.org and create yourself an account. Then you can get a "static' address.

i.e mystaticaddress.dyndns.org . This address will always link to your current ISP assigned IP address, so long as you keep it updated using the small app supplied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Calman

I seen on a thread that it's €50 for a static ip for the equivalent of the deal you're on. What's the advantages of a static ip anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

I'm missing something here! What's the advantage of having "Static"?

I could see the advantage if you were going through a company firewall, but that doesn't arise!

I'd imagine you could get also get a problem with Web sites tracking your movements very easily?

the advantage is for when you run a server of any kind, game server, ftp server etc.

With a static IP it is easy to run the server, as people can always connect by typing in your ip. be it a static one supplied by your ISP or one supplied via dyndns.

However, with a dynamic IP, if you ran an FTP server you would have to tell poeple the new ip each time you started the server up, as it would change each and every time. This would make easy access impossible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

Right thanks! I get the point!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 aidofitz

yeah, i was gonna build some sorta script that interrogates the IP and post a html page with a link to my server(s) to some web space i have, that will prob do the trick..... though like you said, a static IP would be handier :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭skeegan

hi: I use the www.dyndns.org service as advised in this thread. I use it with the Eircom broadband product. I have the standard Eircom broadband modem and have it connected to a router. I have one server running 24/7. Everything works but for some reason the connecction fails occassionally. The net connection dies and the only way I know to sort it out is to unplug & replug the router and reset the modem. Does anybody know what the problem is? Is it an eircom issue or is it something to do with my hardware setup?

regards,

Stephen

@aidofitz: Then dyndns.org is just the thing for you, it'll work perfectly.

@skeegan: its more than likely a hardware problem. Is it a USB or ethernet modem? If its both, use the ethernet option if possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Originally posted by aidofitz
    yeah, i was gonna build some sorta script that interrogates the IP and post a html page with a link to my server(s) to some web space i have, that will prob do the trick..... though like you said, a static IP would be handier :)

Yeah but the work has already been done. As others have said, use dyndns.org and point away to your heart's content. Be aware though, that you have to figure out how to get NAT to point to your machine, and since this varies from platform to platform, you'll have to be specific if you want advice.

The thing is, I have to get the IP off my router (d-link DSL-504), dont know if this is supported by dyndns? anyone know an easy way to do this? i figure i can parse the html from the admin interface, but its a bit of effort......

• Advertisement

yes it does. Just read the faq and forums, thats all the help you'll need. Afaik they have programs for most routers out there, so taht you can use their service.

The thing is, I have to get the IP off my router (d-link DSL-504), dont know if this is supported by dyndns? anyone know an easy way to do this? i figure i can parse the html from the admin interface, but its a bit of effort......

Essentially you get dyndns.org to point to your router, get NAT in your router to point to your PC & off you go. You probably get a local ip using DHCP, so yhr NAT stuff may change from time to time. You will have to poke holes in your router to let stuff through on various ports but specifically 80 to let http requests through. Unles you want to get all fancy-dan and do port forwarding etc. Do you have a firewall? There will be firewall issues too.

hth

HC

Originally posted by hughchal
    Essentially you get dyndns.org to point to your router, get NAT in your router to point to your PC & off you go. You probably get a local ip using DHCP, so yhr NAT stuff may change from time to time. You will have to poke holes in your router to let stuff through on various ports but specifically 80 to let http requests through. Unles you want to get all fancy-dan and do port forwarding etc. Do you have a firewall? There will be firewall issues too.

hth

HC

Think i wasnt clear about what i meant, HC, by get the IP off the router, I meant read the IP off it that has been assigned to it by eircom, so that i can post it to dyndns...... the dhcp/nat/firewall/port forwarding la la la is set up already......

Think i wasnt clear about what i meant, HC, by get the IP off the router, I meant read the IP off it that has been assigned to it by eircom, so that i can post it to dyndns...... the dhcp/nat/firewall/port forwarding la la la is set up already......

if i understand you right, then this is exactly what the dyndns client does - it asks the router what IP it is, and then reports back to dyndns to publish it.

you can see the list of IP-reporting clients here. you might need to register (free) first to see the page.

HC

Advertisement