Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Usb ports probs. (Drivers or chipsets?)

• 16-02-2004 8:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

I re-installed XP on my pc. And now i have problems using the Usb ports.

If i plug my zip drive, or pen drive in whilst the pc is on, it freezes.
    However if i plug them in 1st, then start the pc up, they are recognised and i can use them. But if i unplug say, the zip drive and plug it or another usb device in, the pc freezes.

I think i need to just update the motherboard drivers, ect... But i dont have the disk. So ill download them, but what exactly am i looking for.

I found the 4 in 1 drivers for the motherboard, eventually. Are the 4 in 1 yokes the mobo drivers or chipsets? Basically, what im asking is, shud I just download/install the 4 in 1 drivers, or the chipset or are there actual Usb drivers i can download on there own for the board.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

why not just go into your device manager and update the drivers.. let windows do
    the work for you..

what kinda mobo you got??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rambo

make sure you put windows service pack 1 on
    this fixed nearly all USB problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Maxthedog02

Thanks for the replies.
    I have Sp1 on it.
    How do i update from device manager?? I dont seem to have(or cant find) an online update option??

Its an old, rather ancient motherboard i have.
    An Msi Florida. (Ms - 6340) It has a Via KT133 chipset.
    http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/pb/mb/florida.htm

I think these are the 4 in 1 drivers/chipsets: (There down bout 1/2 way on the page)
    http://www.via.com.tw/en/apollo/KT133.jsp

Ps: If i get the wrong chipset 4 in 1 drivers what are the consequences? Can i just do a Sys restore, or cud getting the wrong ones fook up the motherboard?

Motherboard Florida (MS-6340)
    Driver
    VIA Chipset drivers (4in1) 4.40v [Windows 98 + ME + 2000 + XP]
    VIA 4in1 chipset drivers 4.43V [Windows 98 + ME + 2000 + XP]
    Which of the above do i download?? Whats the difference between 4.40v and 4.43v?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

have you tried this page yet??

though you might be better off installing this..

Hi Wolly....,I tried the Usb filter/patch. The 1st link u gave me.
    That didnt work.

Is the other link the chipset drivers. 4 in 1 or something. I didnt want to download them, case there not for my mobo. Are u sure there for my board?
    Thanks, for ur help.

• Advertisement

I installed the 4in1 VIA drivers and they didnt solve it either.

Any more ideas?
    How do i update the usb ports drivers from device manager as suggester earlier?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Install the latest 4in1 drivers (they work for ALL Via motherboards), then all you have to do is right click them in device manager, choose properties and click driver update, choose auto.

It'll find the right driver for them.

Advertisement