Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo's future relies on the DS?

Options
  • 16-02-2004 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭

Nintendo's future relies on the DS? (Source: IGN/Nikkei Business Daily)
    The former NCL president dismissed the quick arrival of a next-generation console. "Nintendo has no plans to release a so-called 'next-generation' videogame console at the next year's Electronic Entertainment Expo in Las Vegas. We will rather make a new proposal that uses the GameCube at its core," he said. "Only people who do not know the videogame business would advocate the release of next-generation machines when people are not interested in cutting-edge technologies." Yamauchi added that Nintendo's leadership shares his view of the business.

The executive said that Nintendo will "give [its] all" to promote the Nintendo DS. He conceded that the device may not immediately overwhelm audiences, but that he hopes it will help ring in a new era, which may revitalize the games industry. "If we are unsuccessful with the Nintendo DS, we may not go bankrupt, but we will be crushed. The next two years will be a really crucial time for Nintendo."

What do you think: is Nintendo right to be pushing their hopes behind this portable? Will it be another Virtual Boy or will it revolutionise gaming? Or is it just another Nintendo gimmick?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I fail to see how an extra screen will bring about a new age of gaming.
    I think it will depend on the specs as usual, and the way things are looking theyre going to really have to push themselves to out do the PSP and other mobile technology.......

I hope they do, I guess.... but this whole extra screen thing..... hmmmm...

Flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

2 things they shouldn't ignore if they want to be as successful as they deserve

1. Advertising
    2. Europe

I hate to say this(being a big nintendo fan and all), but is their future is dependant on the DS, i think the console war will soon only involve 2 companies('till phantom and the via arrive). I'd really love to see nintend do well with this one, get some good developer support and show the whole world that their deranged followers were right to buy nintendo consoles.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,389 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Nintendo may not think that system specs will matter in a console war but the truth is they do. It's the only reason why thousands of joe soaps want an xbox instead of the other 2 consoles because it certainly doesn't have the best games. I really hope the DS does well but to be honest the second screen seems like a gimmick and if it doesn't have specs that can match the PSP then nintendo could be relegated to second place in the handheld market as well.

Nintendo definitely need to advertise their machines more and definitely not ignore Europe. It' a market that is potentially bigger than the japanese market.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Originally posted by i_am_dogboy
    'till phantom and the via arrive

Roffle

Hook, line, sinker, rod and copy of Angling Times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Len_007

For it to do well, and to revelutionise gaming, it will have to grab the mainstream by it's midsection, which could happen. Anyone remember the double screen game & watch? I think there were a couple of them, Donkey Kong 2 was the one I had. They done well. But it's not taking the place of the Game Boy which disturbs me.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

"Nintendo has no plans to release a so-called 'next-generation' videogame console at the next year's Electronic Entertainment Expo"

That's not to say they won't have a new console of some type at next year's E3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭TheSonOfBattles

Originally posted by Retr0gamer
    Nintendo may not think that system specs will matter in a console war but the truth is they do. It's the only reason why thousands of joe soaps want an xbox instead of the other 2 consoles because it certainly doesn't have the best games.

Yea, I'm sure the system specs and games are the reason so many people are buying xbox's. It obviously has nothing at all to do with the fact that you can mod them inside 10 minutes without looking at a manual, and get games for a few quid after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭goo

Do you honestly thing that being easily modified is selling a lot of machines?

In the grand scheme of things, those interested in modding is a very small market, and is definitely not going to make or break a console.

Originally posted by goo

In the grand scheme of things, those interested in modding is a very small market, and is definitely not going to make or break a console.

I’d be interesting to know for sure, but it's at least selling a few (it's a big problem for the Xbox) - some for legally grey reasons, more for purely illegal reasons – the second of which I'd assume would unfortunately be a growing number

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Len_007

I'd agree with that. In the past couple of weeks myself & a few mates chipped ours & are spreading the good news. It's definitly on the increase

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Originally posted by Len_007
    I'd agree with that. In the past couple of weeks myself & a few mates chipped ours & are spreading the good news. It's definitly on the increase

Yeah but (this isn't as derogative as it sounds - honestly), you're posting on a gaming forum on the internet... you have your ear close to the ground (or so to speak) on these technological matters. The average Joe Soap doesn't... XBox modding is for the minorities. Surely no more than 10% of XBox users would be doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Originally posted by NoelRock
    Surely no more than 10% of XBox users would be doing it.
    Originally posted by goo

hmm dont speculate unless you have some form of information, i know around 10 people with xboxs, 5 of them have them modded, and the other 5 want it done :)

Modded xbox pwns any other console on the market at the moment, simple as that. PS2 is overated, in terms of games(which is what sells consoles)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Liver-Lips

Yeah, im one of len 007's mates that got my xbox moded. i did it first and let him know about it. the chap that did it for me just works in a supermarket and as far as i know, which isn't that far, he spends each weekend modding xboxes.
    it is on the rise and since i've been talkin about it, a good few of my mates want to have it done.

its on the increase, and i know that i only bought my xbox cause i was sick of game prices and knew it could be modded without a problem. also i know its the same for len 007 and another mate of ours.

cheers to Bill Gates for makin it so easy...

Originally posted by bazH
    Modded xbox pwns any other console on the market at the moment, simple as that. PS2 is overated, in terms of games(which is what sells consoles)

The fact is that no console maker thinks its a good think to sell a console to people who want to mod it for the reason most now do.

As for the PS2 been overrated, if you dont like types of games maybe it currently is, but the only console which is underrated is called the Gamecube.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Originally posted by goo

Yeah.. clearly the fact that the Playstation was so easy to chip and get burnt games for had nothing at all to do with its popularity.

Advertisement