Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connect 2 Pcs With 2 Usb Modems Help

• 16-02-2004 11:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭

IOL BB

I am getting a second pc but it has to go upstairs and I want to have the facility to connect both to WEB. Can I just get a second zyxel 630 usb modem and link the second PC? I will only be using one PC at any given time. I can't do wireless as no room in old pc for PCI card etc.

gb--

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by GBCULLEN
    I am getting a second pc but it has to go upstairs and I want to have the facility to connect both to WEB. Can I just get a second zyxel 630 usb modem and link the second PC? I will only be using one PC at any given time. I can't do wireless as no room in old pc for PCI card etc.
    So get a USB wireless adapter!

Using two modems wouldn't be the best approach. Your best bet is to use a router, and use it to provide access to the two machines. Unfortunately, the 630 is a USB only device, so you'll have to get a router that has a modem, and basically discard the 630.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

If you're absolutely sure that won't want to be using both PC's at the same time then 2 modems is probably the best solution. No point in paying extra for a router in that case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭swoofer

thank u both for replies. I have gone the rd of second modem for now and got it for £37.00.

gb---

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by GBCULLEN
    thank u both for replies. I have gone the rd of second modem for now and got it for £37.00.

gb---

This probably wasn't the best option for you, it will mean having to get another twin plug DSL filter and having to connect and disconnect your DSL connection everytime you move between the two machines.

Wireless would have been a much better and more flexible option for you, as it would also have allowed you to share files between the two PC's and play games between them (if that is your thing).

Sorry I only saw your post now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭swoofer

Thanks BK, I had a look at going wireless and the cost was about £225.00 as opposed to £37.00. The modem I have is from ESAT and if I switch providers they will want it back so having my own was my thinking. Also going wireless sounds ideal but I am still confused with all the bits I might need. The old PC which is fine up to a point is nearing 5 years and when I scrap it I may not get a second one. Also the PCI slots are not that reliable as I was hit by lightning about 2 years back when I had a trial of ADSL in fact and it fried the network card and that PCI slot. Took me ages to get it back working ie had to swop everything round until they worked. So one slot is duff and when u try to fit a another card in other slots in can cause havoc!!

Will go wireless when I get a laptop and understand it a bit more.

gb--

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Originally posted by bk
    This probably wasn't the best option for you, it will mean having to get another twin plug DSL filter and having to connect and disconnect your DSL connection everytime you move between the two machines.
    You don't need any more filters, they are just for phones.

Advertisement