Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spencer Dock Surface Station

• 17-02-2004 1:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭

Spencer Dock Surface Station
    Date: 15 February, 2004
    Issued by: Platform11 Press Office (www.platform11.org)

John Thomson & Partners, the London based representatives for Treasury Holdings, have confirmed to Platform11 that a "surface rail station" should be built at Spencer Dock South. To date, confusion has surrounded this issue. Some plans had referred to an “Island” platform underground. Many felt that the whole issue of rail facilities was being passed over in favour of property development and its rather vague inclusion in the plans suggested that developers and Irish Rail were merely paying lip service. Other stories suggested that the “Interconnector” was the only viable rail feature for Spencer Dock.

However in a document titled “Implementation Framework” section E refers to the following;

A new surface rail station accommodating three tracks will be provided on Spencer Dock South site on the Mayor Street Square.
    The line of the railway tracks run under the existing Sheriff Street Viaduct.
    The future route of the “Interconnector” has been established and the location and design of proposed buildings will not compromise the future construction of the underground rail link.
    In the latest Newsletter from the Spencer Dock North Forum, it is stated that a new railway station will serve Spencer Dock, the location has been established and the line and level of tracks has been established. The Newsletter goes on to say that development nearest Abercorn Road will be the last phase to be constructed as it requires the railway line to be constructed first. These conclusions have been reached after numerous forums, that included Platform11.

Platform11 welcomes this news. For twelve months we have campaigned for the retention of rail facilities in Spencer Dock. While a rail connection has been a feature of plans, we did not believe that developers were aware of the importance of the site as a rail terminal for the city and not just the development. With capacity a major issue in Connolly station, additional rail facilities in Spencer Dock will provide alternative termination areas for Kildare services. Since last Summer Platform 11 has been making presentations to residents and community groups between Phibsborough and East Wall. We have tirelessly advocated the use of the Phoenix Park Tunnel, Glasnevin Junction, the line south of Croke Park and Spencer Dock. Our d-connector plan is available on our website www.platform11.org and details how these assets can be integrated into providing a valuable solution to some of Dublin’s transport problems. This plan was presented to Treasury Holdings last September and Platform11 is delighted that rail infrastructure is now being put high on the Spencer Dock agenda.

But this is only the beginning. The building of a three track station at Spencer Dock must be followed by real commitment from Irish Rail and the Department of Transport to integrate under utilised rail infrastructure in Dublin. Infrastructure that can deliver solutions quickly. We call on the minister, Irish Rail and the RPA to actively participate in this process to ensure that services are established quickly in Spencer Dock and integrated with LUAS and other transport modes. Spencer Dock could have become another “Harcourt Street line” fiasco. Platform 11 will continue the campaign to ensure Spencer Dock plays a pivotal role in assisting with the growth and development of rail services in the capital and beyond.

ENDS 16/02/04

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Would the extension to the LUas line from Connolly Station not serve this area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Andrew Duffy

Yes, but transport systems function better when they are connected to each other. The fact that so many miles of barely-used (Islandbridge-Spencer Dock and docklands) and disused (Grangegorman-Clonsilla, Dunboyne and Navan; and until recently Harcourt St. - Bray) railway track exists in our capital city is shocking.

Just thought that the Luas line would be more apt as it links to Connolly, Busaras, city centre and Houston ad other points beyond.

BTW the Clonsilla - Dunboyne- Navan track no longer exists. While the existence of a railway line is evident at some places along the routes, large sections have been annexed into farm land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭P11 Comms

Brian, 93% of the Closilla-Navan trackbed in-tact and the famers who fenced over and leveled embankments did this on state property. They have no rights to do this. On the western rail corridor many people have tarmacced over the train tracks themselves to get to their private houses. Welcome to the "Care and Maintainance" programme.

cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,087 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

93% of the Closilla-Navan trackbed in-tact and the famers who fenced over and leveled embankments did this on state property.

there may be nothing built on most of the route, but was the land not actually sold to the farmers? I would have thought once a route is abandoned CIE are free to sell the land.

• Advertisement

Well I have lived close to the original route in south co. meath. As you drive on the N3 you can see some evidence of the line on the LH side. My family home is on a laneway that crossed the line. On side a farmer has completely annexed the land while on the other side the line is partially visible. Most of the old stations are now private residences.

Remember that buying out people who had encroached onto the old Harcourt st. line cost the taxpayer €36m! Furthermore, if you fence off ant land for 7 years without complaint you can claim it!

Does the new M3 allow for rail crossings on the proposed route?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭P11 Comms

Does the new M3 allow for rail crossings on the proposed route?
    [end quote]

Meath County Council to their credit, got enough clearance off the NRA for a double track railway line and overhead electrifaction equipment.

We are knd off going off topic here but given that they haven't electrified any other lines since 1984 I can't se them starting with the Navan line!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Originally posted by BrianD
    We are knd off going off topic here but given that they haven't electrified any other lines since 1984 I can't se them starting with the Navan line!

Ah but the Kildare Route project should hopefully change that :)

will it be electrified? at about the maynooth line ... it could be busier than th existing DArt line if the service was there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I think they are electrifying it as far as Hazelhatch (although I read Sallins elsewhere - I stand to be corrected either way).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Furthermore, if you fence off ant land for 7 years without complaint you can claim it!

And yet a squatter would have to stay there 20 years ?
    Good to know the law is the same for rich and poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Protocol

Can somebody tell me is Spencer Dock:

a proposal

or

a plan

or

has planning permission been applied for??

Really, what I want to know is, are IE really committed to it?

I mean, all over official documents, published by the DTO, Dublin Corpo, etc., you will read about strategies and plans to introduce integrated ticketing and fares.

But actually on the ground, there is no sign at all of integrated ticketing, fares or even maps at bus stops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I understand under the old railway acts, if a line wasn't used at least once a year, it lost it's right of way. Land if disposed of, had to give loacl authorities first refusal and the adjacent land owner(s) second refusal.
    Furthermore, if you fence off ant land for 7 years without complaint you can claim it!
    12 years - its under the Statue of Limitations. It is called adverse possession. Fencing alone may not be enough as to gain legal possession, you have to deprive all others of access for the 12 years (except with your permisison), you also need to be able to use the land yourself, e.g. putting a fence on the far side of a ditch,w hen the boundary of the lands is the centre of the ditch is not enough as you can't occupy the ditch.

Advertisement