Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bombing training

Options
  • 17-02-2004 2:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    Just wondering; is there a map that shows you how to drop bombs with Spitfire's (BF42), or with the planes of DC?

It would be a great help.

Tanx.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

just train on maps like gazala or el al, somewhere with plenty of space and nice flat terrain to practise on...also do it for a while in coop and turn the ai way way down, if you dont them bots have uncanny accuracy with mg's.

I have become pretty good at bombing with the stuka but an fairly useless with fighters although i'm getting better...its surprising how much you have to lead your bombs if your flying level, I would think its at least (my judgemnt isnt great) betwen 5 and 10 plane lengths before the target. I'm not sure, just practise and don't be afraid to drop your bombs early.

If you want the best way of bombing your gonna have to dive (which also happens to be the most fun) and if you get good it keeps you safe from AA and fighters, at least for a while, but this takes it's own getting used to also, its tricky the first few times acquiring your target in a dive, especially if you have to make minor adjustments...but just gain as much height as you can, look for an area you believe enemy forces are and start your dive, (mini map is a good indicator) then just pick out one, pull your nose hair onto it and when your going straight down release your bombs and pull up and gain as much height as you can, and repeat. You get a kill every time. A good place to do this on and yes I know its a cheap way to get kills but do this over the enemy airfields, you always get those sucker plane campers waiting for planes and its not unusual to get multiple infantry kills like this, but dont forget if your doing this to knock out the AA and keep the planes on the ground.

p.s don't forget to use your guns to strafe too, they are very powerful against everything except for tanks, but you can take out infantry in one shot, jeeps, apc's and artillery get shredded in no time too!!

ok hope this helps a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Another excellent use of the machine guns not to be forgotten is getting rid of that pesky machine gunner on the top of a panzer4, riddle the tank and at least 1 bullet is bound to hit the bugger before he gets time to do much damage.

Another handy tactic on open maps is, fly very VERY low, you can avoid ALL flak cannons, and get a good shooting run, and if you pull up just as you drop your bomb your virtually guarenteed a hit, because the bombee has no time to avoid your bombs.

yea pugs is right, if you fly low enough you can just kill infantry with your wings, its very satisfying just to run them down lol

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Thanks lads. I'll give the dive-bombing a go.

I usually do a kamikazi-dive to kill some enemy viechle. Major fun, but now with this dive-bombing, I may live to enjoy it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Dive bombing with a transport helio is great fun :D Some people fireing at you with M-16s just ram the helio into dive and jump out :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Senor_Fudge

or you could just land beside them and blast them with the front or side guns?

Russian transport helios dont have side guns :dunno:

the blackhawk does however

ya but i only did it in the russian heilo ....seeming they have no offence power

10 points for creativity
    off topic mods sorry

but next time try bunny hopping on their heads with an ah 64 or the hind and take off again

really pisses peeps off ^_^

• Advertisement

lol that will be fun

a good way to start out on the bomb runs is to use the outside view to get an idea of the planes bombing mechanism

then progress onto the nose cam
    you can try lining the target up in the cross hair from a distance and when you get in estimated range drop em

its a lot easier to hit targets when you're dive bombing from a height

good point, but i only suggest using chase view if your still learning to fly to be honest...nose cam is the way to go..i learned the basics from chase view and i hated going to nose cam but now i wouldn't go back, its so much easier.

The problem with flying level and doing bomb runs is you are such an easy target if the tanker pops up to his turret. And the AA makes mince meat from you too. Also, its much harder to dive bomb with fast fighters, better with the slower aircraft like the stuka (my personal favoutite) but the b17 in a dive run is something to behold and it has a devestating effect!! plus when you get up to speed its remarkably easy to control if a wee bit sluggish but diving and banking is a joy. I really enjoy going into big loops with the b17.

Has anyone tried the new illyushin (sp) they added in the last patch...I haven't myself but I hear folk saying it bombs like a stuka and can dogfight like a fighter..its too bad that map is just a little small to be real fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

The problem with the B17 its it attracts the firepower of the ENTIRE enemy team, so you tend not to stay in the air for long. However with 6 huge bombs in rapid succession, you dont need that long to do your damage :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

Originally posted by Instant Karma
    good point, but i only suggest using chase view if your still learning to fly to be honest...nose cam is the way to go..i learned the basics from chase view and i hated going to nose cam but now i wouldn't go back, its so much easier.

Yeah i definetly found that when i was learning to fly. I couldn't use or get use to the nose cam at all but now i find the nose cam really good and chase cam a bit annoying. just use it sometime to try and spot enemy planes and stuff.

The problem with flying level and doing bomb runs is you are such an easy target if the tanker pops up to his turret. And the AA makes mince meat from you too. Also, its much harder to dive bomb with fast fighters, better with the slower aircraft like the stuka (my personal favoutite) but the b17 in a dive run is something to behold and it has a devestating effect!! plus when you get up to speed its remarkably easy to control if a wee bit sluggish but diving and banking is a joy. I really enjoy going into big loops with the b17.

only problem is its fairly slow so its not that hard for enemy fighters to shoot it up, but yur right its lots of fun to fly around in :)

Has anyone tried the new illyushin (sp) they added in the last patch...I haven't myself but I hear folk saying it bombs like a stuka and can dogfight like a fighter..its too bad that map is just a little small to be real fun.

Haven't tried that plane. Is it just in single player? which maps is it on?

the new plane was added instead of one of the yak9's on kharkov to even up the vast superority the soviets had with 2 fighters to the axis 1. Its a 2 seater also and drops 2 bombs like the stuka, trouble is though that they may have messed up as a lot of people have complained that sure its bombs great but it can also match the fighters in the air too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

I enjoy doing the bombing runs in the Battle of Britain map.

Start on the German side and take off in an ME109 (or is it a Stuka?). Fly up along the coast on the German side then turn straight across the sea coming in at the bridge. I fly through the central span and then climb up a bit and to the left, over the mg nest which basically puts you flying through the gate of the factory.

Start to climb (hitting the factory isn't advisable in terms of survival!) and as soon as you pass over the gate, drop the bomb(strike 99.9% of the time) and climb quick.

Turn as if your life depended on it 'cos you're close to the boundary of the map. You can go left or right, theres an airfield in both directions as you turn back towards the coast - worth a shot to see if you can take out the Spitfires on the grass.

Back out to sea again, turn drop low and repeat the process. (Bridge is at the top right corner of E6)

Don't think I've ever been shot down and rarely if ever get shot at.

You'll need to re-load the bombs after a while (fly back low over the German base).
    Once the factory is destroyed, the opposition numbers fall like dominoes.

Its not really all that challenging but its the map on which I finally learned to fly the planes. No problem with them since then.

Now helicopters - that's a WHOLE different kettle of fish. Has anyone mastered the art?????

Mike

BoB is a cool map if only for the German Bombers..a most enjoyable aircraft to fly...the map I learned to dive bomb on..thanks to an Anon bf42 player who I was riding guns on for that one...taught me the basics...I was on guns and the whole game I hit F10 and watched this guy in action..never fired a shot and had a score of 0 - 0 lol......I watched him dive on the factory and make each bomb hit dead on target and realised that diving was the way to go as all the spitfires were were zomming around the map looking for targets while never looking up!! thanks guy whoever you were. :)

I sat in awe the whole game as this guy systematically destroyed the allies single handedly and never got touched! never even got to thank the chap!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Originally posted by Delphi91
    Now helicopters - that's a WHOLE different kettle of fish. Has anyone mastered the art?????
    Heli's are easy in DC. Like walking, and falling, I don't think of auto-adjusting, I just do it. The small Allied heli is easy to fly, but the Axis heli is big, and although easy to fly after a bit, is not as nimble as the Alleid one.
    I use the ws for speed, and ad for turning, and NUM8 and NUM2 for pitch, and NUM4 and NUM2 rolling. Quickly tapping the w can allow you to "hover" to an extent.

When flying a heli, my main objective is to kill the other heli, and my 2ndry goal is to get flags.

When flying a plane, its mainly bombing the nme targets, but I also dog-fight alot.

As for the B17, playing chicken with other planes is great:p

I mainly bomb roads in the B17, but I also bomb anything that I consider to be a tactical advantge to the nme, such as a nme jeep going to a flag, or to bomb a target before my allies move in to capture it.

NOTE; Just because your on the allied side, and you see a B17, doesn't mean it won't bomb you. I sometimes get a nme plane/bomber, and bomb the nme, to confuse them, and also, to get in close for a kill:D

Advertisement