Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Good Driving, Bad Driving

Options
  • 17-02-2004 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭

What do you make of this?

Before xmas I got my cd collection together and burnt my favourate songs from each onto a couple of CD's (music copyright is a different topic!) and found soon after that I was paying less attention to the road than I should be, up to the point that I would consider myself to be a danger on the road. However I have removed the CD's about 2 weeks ago and have found that my driving has returned to its previous level (listen to the radio more so). Has anyone else found this? Or is it just me

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Music is proven to effect driving but it depends on what type of music you listen to. Classical and Jazz are good for smooth progresive motoring, hip-hop, rap and metal
    are bad as they encourage an aggressive attitude (yo' hearing me boy?!).

Mind you radio can enrage - it just depends on what waffle your tuned to. :D

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

i'm an oul timer, paul simon, leonard cohen etc etc. No hip hop, funky acid garage wheely bin music for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by Nuttzz
    leonard cohen

I'm amazed you have'nt crashed! :D

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Originally posted by mike65
    I'm amazed you have'nt crashed! :D

Mike.

Blasphemy, burn your keyboard now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

Lash on AC/DC and you always seem to get where your going faster..

Tom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

leonard. I'm 19 and he's one of my faves.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭trurl

turn off the stereo, and listen to the sound of the V6, like I do ;-P

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Smurphy

Lash on AC/DC and you always seem to get where your going faster..

LOL :D

I used to listen to AC/DC years ago when doing my homework...
    I swear it made me get through it faster..
    see also The Prodigy

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Late at night, if you are tired roll down the window*, listen to talk / news radio to keep you awake (or stop driving altogether).

During rush hour traffic try to listen to something slightly soothing. Avoid talk / news radio is it's sensationalism will only get you worked up and aggressive.

On long journey's try a mix of music to break the boredom to keep you alert.

*You are more attentive when you are cold than when you are warm. In extreme situations crank up the air conditioning, direct it at your feet and take off your shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

I listen to dub reggae and jazz while driving, I find the radio cause more erratic driving as i keep reaching over to change stations to avoid ads/annoying songs etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 CAPRIcious

Originally posted by trurl
    turn off the stereo, and listen to the sound of the V6, like I do ;-P

lmao, now i like that style!!!

I just use the disc changer and if i'm feelin sleepy when driving I crank up the bass - nothing like the good vibrations of 2 x 700watt Subs to keep a gal awake when driving :cool: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

It's all about bpm. It doesn't matter if you're listening to metal or dance or classical or jazz or whatever, if you listen to something with a high number of beats per minute you tend to drive faster.

Well they say that. I was listening to Feeder driving through Ballincollig 2nite and kept proper distance to the car in front and my speed down to about 32. I suppose it's all about attitude. If you let the music carry you away it will effect your driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

i drive a hatch, so I open the rear windows, trn off the radio and listen to the exhaust. It sounds nice. Usually it's too damn cold, so it's maybe some U2, Christie Moore live at the Point, some live dance music, or Deftones or Greenday. It's nice to grab a few albums off the shelf at home and put them on while driving, not actually picking specific ones. Your own personal randomiser.

Cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

Originally posted by Victor
    Late at night, if you are tired roll down the window*, listen to talk / news radio to keep you awake (or stop driving altogether).

*You are more attentive when you are cold than when you are warm. In extreme situations crank up the air conditioning, direct it at your feet and take off your shoes.

yeah I work shift and sometimes I need to blast myself with cold air to keep me awake! That and some Slayer and I'm fine :)

Hey tommy, do you work in a multinational company and work for low wage.

Originally posted by neuromancer
    Hey tommy, do you work in a multinational company and work for low wage.

No, do you?

yes

bummer

What is your shift pattern?
    What are the hours?
    Do you work weekends?

Originally posted by neuromancer
    What is your shift pattern?
    What are the hours?
    Do you work weekends?

I work mornings (9-4), evenings (4-11)(both 7 hours) and nights (11-9) (10 hours)....usually 2 evenings and 2 mornings together, then 2 or 3 days off and then 2 nights followed by 3 days off.

I have to work an average of 34.5 hours per week (average over 3 months)

I work about 2 weekends per month, depending on what the roster throws at me. I worked last night (Friday...I'm in work now) and I'm in tonight, then off until Wednesday.

• Advertisement
Advertisement