Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rms

Options
  • 17-02-2004 11:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

Can someone please explain what RMS is all about. I was out looking at hifi's the other day and noticed that there was 2 wattages quoted. The first was say 200w and then it would say 100w RMS- whats this all about.
    Thanking u in advance.

Ps Hi all!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

rms is root mean squared

tis somet to do with the electrical current. i think as it is AC it flutcuates from negative to positive 50 times a second. if you were to get an average of this it would be 0

eg (-100) + (+100) = 0, 0 / 2 = 0

so they square everything, get the average (the mean) and then get the root of it to give an average value

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I think it is something like the average of a curve. When it comes to Hi-fi much more useful than the PMPO that you often see and looks very big and impressive. I think PMPO is a load of rubbish.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Forget about any figures and just listen before you buy. But generally if something quotes PMPO figures its most likely very cheap and not worth buying :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I agree with Kali on this - just listen and if you like the sound then buy it !!

Any way as was explained earlier RMS is the Root Mean Square of a wave form. It applies to only one peak and is 0.707 of the peak value.

The Peak power value of an amplifier is the maximum just before clipping.

Of more use though is the Dynamic or Music power of an amplifier as this takes into account power supply regulation and internal resistances of the power source.

Tinky

Advertisement