Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rant about Irish people supporting Celtic

• 17-02-2004 12:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

I could guess that more than 50% of people support Celtic for the wrong reasons.

I once asked a guy in work why he supported them and he simply stated 'For the sectarianism'. When I heard that, all my suspicions were correct. And this was from a guy who also supported Liverpool and when they played eachother in the UEFA cup last year he said he was supporting Liverpool. Go figure....
    And as for the internationlas at Lansdowne Rd, when an ex Rangers or current Rangers player is playing with the opposition and gets booed off the park, it starts to get ridiculous.

Do you support Celtic for the wrong reasons? 80 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    10% 8 votes
    Don't know cos I'm not that bright
    28% 23 votes
    Don't care cos Celtic aren't worth supporting
    5% 4 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    56% 45 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Your in the wrong place to have a rant about Irish-Celtic fans, you will get 100% support here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

Agreed.

Just take a trip into frazers to watch an old firm match and you will see about 80% of the 50% you speak of!!!

BTW before (if) this topic gets going, try not to generalise too much.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

It's ok to support Celtic, as long as you don't give a stupid reason like "because they're an Irish club" or something like that. I can't see why you can support the likes of Man United, Liverpool and Arsenal and not be allowed to support Celtic. Its just stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

Most people i know who support celtic do so because it's so much fun to hate rangers.

• Advertisement

thats a very general thing to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I don't support Celtic or have any interest in them (outside of them grooming the next Liverpool manager :D .) However it does piss me off when their 'supporters' choose to boo Rangers players, ex-Rangers players, or even players they think might play for Rangers at Ireland games. If you want to boo Rangers players and sing songs about them, go to a Celtic match. Ireland and Celtic are not one and the same.

Originally posted by super_furry
    However it does piss me off when their 'supporters' choose to boo Rangers players, ex-Rangers players, or even players they think might play for Rangers at Ireland games.
    Thats all in the past now super_furry.

BTW - Lex Luthor, do you expect someone to seriously answer yes to this poll?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Originally posted by super_furry
    ...boo Rangers players, ex-Rangers players, or even players they think might play for Rangers...

Or even those that have no connection to Rangers, like that Danish bloke that time, he hadn't a clue why the bigots were targeting him.

Some questions for Celtic "fans":

Why do you hate Rangers?

a) Is it because they're local rivals?

b) Is it because they're "protestant" ?

Do you call them "The Huns"?

If you do, then you must have answered b) to the last question.

In which case, you are a racist bigot.

To refer to any group of people by a derogatory term because of a reason such as colour, gender, sexual orientation or religion is just racist, there is no other name for it.

So the next time you start calling the Rangers supporters "Huns", just remember, you are being racist.

Originally posted by seansouth
    Or even those that have no connection to Rangers, like that Danish bloke that time, he hadn't a clue why the bigots were targeting him.

Why do you hate Rangers?

To refer to any group of people by a derogatory term because of a reason such as colour, gender, sexual orientation or religion is just racist, there is no other name for it.

So the next time you start calling the Rangers supporters "Huns", just remember, you are being racist.

Good man sean :rolleyes:

Do you really think any of the afore-mentioned celtic fans give a ****. They already know they are being racist and revel in the fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

yeah, the fianian bástards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭bdiddy

At least we're not been too general.

I support Celtic and hate Rangers because they're the biggest threat to Celtics success and becuase of the local rivalry and because they hate us and because of the underlying history of the clubs not because they're prodestant.

I was told by some1 (arguing that Celtic supporters are racist) that Henrick Larrson is a prodestant. Funny all the same that the person who isn't racist(and doesnt care about religion) knew of Larrsons religon and i(the racist) didnt.

Another point is that there is an inextricable link between Ireland and Celtic, If u look at the UEFA cup final from last year, there was a host of Irish flags in the crowd and i only spotted 2 scottish flags. u will also see a number of Irish supporters wearing Celtic jerseys tomorrow night.

One point i agree with tho is that former, current or potential Rangers players shouldnt be abused by the Irish fans just because of thier links with the club. We have a proud tradition as supporters, lets not wreck that and end up with a reputation like the English or Turkish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    Your in the wrong place to have a rant about Irish-Celtic fans, you will get 100% support here.

Going by the poll, you are way off there. And thank god too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Thats all in the past now super_furry.

BTW - Lex Luthor, do you expect someone to seriously answer yes to this poll?

Somebody already did.

Also, where I work there are a lot of Scottish people and you wouldn't believe the way people treat them if they support Rangers. And this is just from the smelly gits who wear their Celtic jerseys for a week at a go.

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    And thank god too!
    I didn't think you were a Celtic fan JTG...

Originally posted by Lex Luthor
    Somebody already did.
    I said "seriously answer yes", that person obviously wasn't seriously or misread the poll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Originally posted by seansouth

Why do you hate Rangers?

please remember most Ireland supporters - HATE England because of 800 years of oppression .... what does that make them?

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan
    yeah, the fianian bástards!

fenian ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

i voted no :p

im from glasgow and i support celtic, went to see them the whole time i was growing up, been a ball boy at parkhead and held a season ticket for about 5 years, thats personally why i voted no...

or is this for irish people only this poll? :)

feckin stinking jocks ;)

Originally posted by Big Chief
    i voted no :p

im from glasgow and i support celtic, went to see them the whole time i was growing up, been a ball boy at parkhead and held a season ticket for about 5 years, thats personally why i voted no...

or is this for irish people only this poll? :)

You're excused...it's just for the paddys

• Advertisement

I said "seriously answer yes", that person obviously wasn't seriously or misread the poll.

so we have 3 illiterate biggeted Celtic fans already read this thread. we're getting somewhere now!!!

so we have 3 illiterate biggeted Celtic fans already read this thread. we're getting somewhere now!!!
    C'mon, they are obviously not Celtic fans. Ask any football fan in the world "do you support your club for the wrong reasons" and they will look at you like a zombie.

we'll see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭LanceStorm

I completely and utterly understand and agree!!

You cannot walk down a street in Ireland without seeing someone in a Celtic jersey!! But do they actually know much, or anything about the club??

Not likely!! Its green and white, it looks Irish, so thats all they care about!!
    Being racial to Rangers fans just comes with the jersey aparantly!!

There is a fair amount of Celtic fans in Ireland. So bloody what???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭LanceStorm

But they're not fans.
    Thats the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Originally posted by LanceStorm
    But they're not fans.
    Thats the point.

Please explain that. How are they "Not" fans?
    What constitutes being a fan of any club?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Grammar class anyone?

I think this argument is going to be biased on both ends. Why? Because you are all too stubborn to listen to each other's point of view.

50% of Irish people support Celtic because it's "cool" and are forced into having to love a certain club by their peers. The other 50% support Celtic because they truly love the club and love the highs and lows of wins and loses.

Pardon my blatancy, but if you really wanted to be all about this whole "**** england, the queen sucks" thing, then you wouldn't support any soccer team. It is an English sport. You contradict everything you say on a daily basis. It's a load of crap.

All these moronic beer swelling idiots I see day in, day out do not know the words of our own national anthem, yet they claim to be the foremost experts in Irish History. Give yourself a break. I was actually suprised to find out that Scottish people know more about our history than we do.

Do I think people support Celtic for the wrong reasons?
    Atari jaguar.

Originally posted by dlofnep

50% of Irish people support Celtic because it's "cool" and are forced into having to love a certain club by their peers. The other 50% support Celtic because they truly love the club and love the highs and lows of wins and loses.

I agree. I see it myself.
    What pisses me of is the sweeping generalisations (sp?) that occur everytime there is a Celtic themed post on this board.:mad:
    I am a glasgow celtic fan. I do not have to justify that to anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I could only name maybe five or six players on the celtic team and to tell you the truth, if they were playing a match in my back garden, I probably wouldn't even open my curtains to watch them. Still I cannot see the problem with people supporting them any more than I can see an issue with people supporting any English, Spanish, German or Brazilian team.

BTW what are the wrong reasons for supporting a club ?

All together now

" We are Celtic Supporters,
    Faithful through and through,
    And over, and over,
    We will follow you"

Up the Celts!!

Why? the highs, lows, SPL, champs League, UEFA cup, tradition, happy daze!!

"All together now

" We are Celtic Supporters,
    Faithful through and through,
    And over, and over,
    We will follow you"

Up the Celts!!

Why? the highs, lows, SPL, champs League, UEFA cup, tradition, happy daze!!"

Good man!:p :D:p:D:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭hoolio

I am a glasgow celtic fan. I do not have to justify that to anyone.
    Well said
    Shouldn't that be bigoted? But dont mind me i'm just illiterate anyway! :D

There are hundreds,thousands even, of the Celtic fans who aren't really Celtic fans etc etc but that doesnt mean that you know that everyone in a Celtic jersey is a bigoted fool.Everytime this comes up on the board the same argument takes place but i just think that no one can tell you if you are a fan of a club or not,and that even if you are a twat who boos for no reason then go right ahead and be a twat,its your life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

This kind of bullshi.t sickens me.

I support Celtic in SPL because of there Irish roots,Do I hate Rangers? yes

But consider this

I support Aston Villa in the PM because when I start supporting them 4 Irish players were playing in the first team. Do I hate Biringham? Yes

I support Kerry GAA because of realtions to that area. Do I hate Cork? Yes

Man Utd Fans hate Liverpool and vice Versa.

People make a big deal out of the Celtic - Rangers thing because of the history, booing players is not a new thing and it doesn't just happen in Lansdowne road.

People should open there eyes and stop looking at this issue in such a single minded manner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

I dont support celtic because i dont like them(plus i am not catholic) and i think that the spl is a joke.

i understand why so many irish ppl support them as there are strong links betweeen celtic supporters in scotland who are mainly of irish decent, and ireland.

but i dont believe that supporting celtic is an expression of irish patriotism because they are a scottish club- they play in the spl and are registered with uefa/fifa as being a scottish club.

But i cant stand it when people make the shallow assumption that supporting celtic is an integral part of being an irish football fan. but otherwise i havnt got much against irish celtic fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

I support Partick Thistle.

I hate Rangers AND Celtic.... but I think I hate Celtic more because you are all stupid Catholic paddy's... it's just tradition, no offence intended, but you are...

:rolleyes:

This is your one warning. You will be banned for a week if you continue on that vein.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭AmenToThat

I could guess that more than 50% of people support Celtic for the wrong reasons.

I once asked a guy in work why he supported them and he simply stated 'For the sectarianism'. When I heard that, all my suspicions were correct

Im an Irish Celtic fan who is usual up for a good debate on this topic but not with you Im afraid

You asked one guy at work................and leading on from that............ all your suspicions were correct!
    I would suggest that you sir are as narrow minded as that guy at your work place!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Genuine question as I don't know the history of Celtic, so no need to reply with all guns blazing.

But aren't Hibernian more 'Irish' than Celtic? I don't know anything about either's history, so somebody enlighten me please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Yes i have always had admiration for hibernian. they were founded ten years before celtic and by irish immigrants. However Celtic are the more successful of the clubs founded by irish people thats why so many people in this country support them. hibs have done more than any other team in the spl to stamp out secterian hatred. they were the very first club to sign players regardless of religion.

Those who support celtic for their irish connection i respect. but i have contempt for those who support them because of their catholic ethnic as they are getting involved in a foreign religous rivalry between celtic and rangers.

those who hate rangers purely because they are celtic`s local rivals i have no problem with.its the same reason why villa supporters hate birmingham city LOCAL RIVALRY. However hating rangers because of their protestant ethnic is unacceptable. i have asked some ppl why they hate rangers so much and the reply i have often gotten was "cos they are a pack of proddie *******" ,being protestant my self i find that very offensive, and i understand why ppl would have a problem with bringing the celtic rangers rivalry into the context of ireland. but i have no probelm with ppl supporting old firm clubs for the right reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The SPL is embarrissingly bad and Celtic are, to put it mildly, ****e! Rangers are just as bad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

The SPL is embarrissingly bad and Celtic are, to put it mildly, ****e! Rangers are just as bad!

Did Celtic not get into a European Final recently beating some of the lesser premiership teams to get there if my memory serves me right.

Just as bad? Celtic are miles ahead of them this year. Thats like sayin Liverpool are just as bad as ManU.

As for the debate i think its great to see such a rivalry in the modern game, with so many players switchin teams on a regular basis some of that has been lost, there arent many players left in clubs who get as wound up about derbys(At least there's Gary Neville).

That doesn't say a whole lot for Liverpool then does it???

Originally posted by irish1
    That doesn't say a whole lot for Liverpool then does it???
    Ha ha, you walked yourself into it JTG.:D

Originally posted by AmenToThat
    Im an Irish Celtic fan who is usual up for a good debate on this topic but not with you Im afraid

You asked one guy at work................and leading on from that............ all your suspicions were correct!
    I would suggest that you sir are as narrow minded as that guy at your work place!:rolleyes:

The question is: Do you support Celtic for the wrong reasons?

Most people I know do, so if I was to say I support Rangers simply because I want to be different from the crowd and not be a sheep, I would be called a Hun.

Somebody I used to work with, Catholic and Irish supported Rangers, didn't broadcast it, but everyone knew always got called a hun ba$tard. It's just the attitude of the majority of Celtic "fans" I've come across.

Most people I know do, so if I was to say I support Rangers simply because I want to be different from the crowd and not be a sheep, I would be called a Hun.

Somebody I used to work with, Catholic and Irish supported Rangers, didn't broadcast it, but everyone knew always got called a hun ba$tard. It's just the attitude of the majority of Celtic "fans" I've come across.

You should go to Celtic Park then sometime mate and don't base your assumptions on the people who happen to meet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Anytime Ive been to Celtic Park its always been grand and sectarianism is virtually non existent amongst the proper footballing fans. There are of course elements of hatred between the fans but I have never seen anything worse than you do between Leeds and Man U fans, I have to be honest tho, most of the sectarianism ive seen comes from Rangers fans

It's just the attitude of the majority of Celtic "fans" I've come across.
    The same fans that won awards from both Fifa and Uefa?

BTW I've heard a lot worse than "Hun" from fans of other rival team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭AmenToThat

I dont think there is a Celtic fan alive who would not agree that we have an element among our support with the mental age of a ten year old!
    But I must tell you that however bad you think the Celtic support are Rangers bring secterianism to a whole new level which is why I find it hard to understand how someone who hates the secterianism among the Celtic fans would then support Rangers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Its easy to see why the real Celtic fans would hate Rangers, because of the rivalry. But quite a lot of Irish Celtic "fans" are in it for the Ireland vs England or Catholic vs Protestant element. I dont support either team, because personally I think the league is crap, but nothing makes me laugh more than the average Joe Scumbag leaving the pub with his Celtic jersey and peaked cap.

No offense intended towards the real Celtic fans, because its easy to see how passionate they are on Old Firm day. And the same can be said for the Blue half of Glasgow.

• Advertisement
Advertisement