Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rant about Irish people supporting Celtic

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

Its easy to see why the real Celtic fans would hate Rangers, because of the rivalry. But quite a lot of Irish Celtic "fans" are in it for the Ireland vs England or Catholic vs Protestant element. I dont support either team, because personally I think the league is crap, but nothing makes me laugh more than the average Joe Scumbag leaving the pub with his Celtic jersey and peaked cap.

No offense intended towards the real Celtic fans, because its easy to see how passionate they are on Old Firm day. And the same can be said for the Blue half of Glasgow.

i would agree with this statement yes, see alot of this in dublin when i used to goto fraziers on o'connell street to watch all the matches although to be fair you see this just as much if not more in glasgow, except you see both divides of it which makes alot more violence..

I am passionate about celtic and i dont hide that fact but i hate bigots with a passion, all my mates back home have a bit of craic about the celtic rangers thing (we are mixed support) but its all kept friendly enough and its just mostly winding each other up... Although we dont watch the matches together for sake of arguments :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 carl carlson

Ok so basically , being honest now when you see someone wearing a celtic jersey or even worse a group of people wearing them you put your phone away , hide your wallet and keep your head down for fear of having an imprint of a gold soveirgn ring on your face . Anyone agree?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Originally posted by carl carlson
    Ok so basically , being honest now when you see someone wearing a celtic jersey or even worse a group of people wearing them you put your phone away , hide your wallet and keep your head down for fear of having an imprint of a gold soveirgn ring on your face . Anyone agree?

Hell Yeah!

To a certin extent obviously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I resent that ignorant remark.

You obviously lack any intelligence and have never met genuine Celtic fans.

I met a genuine celtic fan once..............and he punched me in the face! Hmmmmmm...... i lack intelligence? Actaully it is very well known by all dubliners that green white and gold means a celtic jersey and a gold ring! Face it they are scumbags. MAybe, and i MEAN maybe you are an exception but just in case don't break my windows if you don't like what I say.
    Did you enjoy your exquisite dinner of Dutch Gold and curry chips????:p

I met a genuine celtic fan once..............and he punched me in the face! Hmmmmmm...... i lack intelligence? Actaully it is very well known by all dubliners that green white and gold means a celtic jersey and a gold ring! Face it they are scumbags. MAybe, and i MEAN maybe you are an exception but just in case don't break my windows if you don't like what I say.
    Did you enjoy your exquisite dinner of Dutch Gold and curry chips????:p

LoL I think my last post sums you up pretty well, now stop trolling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

look, man utd and liverpool are so popular here because of their links with ireland past and present. Their English clubs with english fans and play in england.

Most, and i stress most, celtic fans support an english side. if they are so racial and sectarian, why would they support an english club if it's plays in england and has english fans??

to me, links are stronger with celtic because they are scottish, scotland has much more history and links with ireland, all that c(k)eltic stuff. the irish always blend in well with scots unlike we do with the english.

i think most see rangers as english, celtic irish. but we're not stupid, we all know their both scottish and all that. but that barrier has always stood strong hence the rivalry. rangers are seen as english, celtic irish and your either one or the other. thats why its rare you get an irish rangers fan, english celtic fan (i mean REAL english, not people that have irish parents, relatives etc here).

Trolling, what?????? I'm sure i'm not the only one who doesn't understand your evening herald vocabulary.
    As for being not being intelligent, you obviously lack some if you cannot see the common theme of celtic jerseys and scumbags and proudly lump yourself in with this category.
    I however am anything but stupid and the fact that this is your only comeback to what I said speaks volumes about your intelligence.

FYI

"What is a Troll?

An Internet "troll" is a person who delights in sowing discord on the Internet. He (and it is usually he) tries to start arguments and upset people.

Trolls see Internet communications services as convenient venues for their bizarre game. For some reason, they don't "get" that they are hurting real people. To them, other Internet users are not quite human but are a kind of digital abstraction. As a result, they feel no sorrow whatsoever for the pain they inflict. Indeed, the greater the suffering they cause, the greater their 'achievement' (as they see it). At the moment, the relative anonymity of the net allows trolls to flourish.

Trolls are utterly impervious to criticism (constructive or otherwise). You cannot negotiate with them; you cannot cause them to feel shame or compassion; you cannot reason with them. They cannot be made to feel remorse. For some reason, trolls do not feel they are bound by the rules of courtesy or social responsibility.

Perhaps this sounds inconceivable. You may think, "Surely there is something I can write that will change them." But a true troll can not be changed by mere words."

• Advertisement

if you want to change me mate prove me wrong .Now this is a question for which i want an honest reply: your walking down the street , your unsure what path to walk down , on one side there is a group of celtic fans with a can of dutch in one hand and i don't know lets say some knacker bird they're trying to impress in the other . On the other side of the street there is a group of people coming home from work , wearing their armani suits and minding their own business . What side of the road do you walk down Irish1 assuming of coarse those knackers aren't your mates?

Well if I was already on the same side as the Celitic I wouldn't swap over.

BTW I don't drink dutch gold, and either does any Celtic I know.

You assumptions are meaningless, and you obviously have not being to Celtic Park.

What about all the Irish fans that wear Celtic Jerseys at Irish Games???

You need to open your eyes and stop talking bullshi.t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Carl, those people you are describing are not Celtic fans, they are people wearing Celtic jersey's.

Now go away or I will find out where you live and kill you. :D

sorry but for some odd reason when i see someone wearing a celtic jersey i automatically think s/he is a fan . silly old me now why might o think that. p.s are celtic fans now called 'celtics' or what are you talking about Irish1. Oh and what about people wearing celtic jerseys at irish matches ??????? I never said Irish fans aren't knackers ............ alot are.... especially those who wear celtic jerseys...There is 1 Irish player at celtic and he's leaving the first chance he gets to Man Utd . He doesn't give a **** about celtic. so a bunch of irish guys set up a club in 1988, doesn't mean we all have to support them simply for the hatred of protestants or why is it you like them ?

sorry but for some odd reason when i see someone wearing a celtic jersey i automatically think s/he is a fan . silly old me now why might o think that. p.s are celtic fans now called 'celtics' or what are you talking about Irish1. Oh and what about people wearing celtic jerseys at irish matches ??????? I never said Irish fans aren't knackers ............ alot are.... especially those who wear celtic jerseys...There is 1 Irish player at celtic and he's leaving the first chance he gets to Man Utd . He doesn't give a **** about celtic. so a bunch of irish guys set up a club in 1988, doesn't mean we all have to support them simply for the hatred of protestants or why is it you like them ?
    I actually can't remember why I start supporting Celtic it was that long back. I was too young toknow anything about Protestant/Catholic division, etc. A lot of people start supporting teams because other family members do and that is probably why I started. What do you think of the hundreds/thousands of Irish who went to Portugal to support Celtic and won awards from both fifa and uefa?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭AmenToThat

As far as I know Neil Lennon is going nowhere.
    Where did you get this info please?

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Carl you are being highly stereotypical if not completely ignorant. i am no celtic fan but i have to admit that you`re attitude is a joke. Not every celtic fan is a scumbag many of them are, but its only quite a significant minority that are.

despite not being of the same religous ethnic of celtic i could have many reasons for supporting them

1) its a free country i can support whatever club i want

2)they play good football.

3)Their fans are very passionate. they even got the uefa supporters of the year award. (uefa would hardly give awards to the type of scumbags that carl carlson describes)

4) they are linked with ireland by their founder.

However i do not believe that wearing a celtic shirt at an ireland match counts as supporting your country for reasons i have mentioned earlier. and i think the best way for people to express pride in their irishness through football at club level is to support an eircom league team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭jerenaugrim

There's only one team in Glasgow- Partick Thistle.
    Sectarianism is just stupid.
    And anyone who doesn't go to a soccer match at least once a month is not a supporter. They're just expressing a preference for one team or another on the telly.
    Come on City! (That's Cork City, la. I live in Cork. Makes sense, no?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

who cares really ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

people who wear Celtic shirts to Ireland matches are pr icks

they're not the same thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by nlgbbbblth
    people who wear Celtic shirts to Ireland matches are pr icks

they're not the same thing

i dont like red juimpers

who really cares what people wear to a game

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Cactus Col
    who cares really ....

...everyone on this thread, obviously..:rolleyes:

Originally posted by jerenaugrim
    ...everyone on this thread, obviously..:rolleyes:

I'm on this thread and have worn a Celtic Jersey to an Irish game in the past, so don't go assuming EVERYONE agrees with your opinion.

Now put that in your pipe and smoke it, oh and go roll your eyes somewhere else;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

I hate the way Celtic play football. They are crap! People just support the team because of their relgion that they were born into. I cant stand Rangers either and Scottish football is in general terrible

Originally posted by thejollyrodger
    I hate the way Celtic play football. They are crap! People just support the team because of their relgion that they were born into. I cant stand Rangers either and Scottish football is in general terrible

You don't happen to support an English Premier league team do ya??

Celtic knocked the Pool and Blackburn out of the Uefa Cup last season and they went unbeaten at home in the champions league this season?

Crap you say? You obviously don't know much about football.

Originally posted by irish1
    Celtic knocked the Pool and Blackburn out of the Uefa Cup last season and they went unbeaten at home in the champions league this season?
    and won all their home matches in the CL two years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Some of that is your opinion (mis-guided) but that sh*t about religion is wrong.

I'm on this thread and have worn a Celtic Jersey to an Irish game in the past, so don't go assuming EVERYONE agrees with your opinion.

Now put that in your pipe and smoke it, oh and go roll your eyes somewhere else;)

I didn't express any opinion, irish1!:rolleyes:

And I'll roll my eyes anywhere I want.:rolleyes:

Who do you support in Ireland, BTW?

Originally posted by jerenaugrim
    I didn't express any opinion, irish1!:rolleyes:

And I'll roll my eyes anywhere I want.:rolleyes:

Who do you support in Ireland, BTW?

I thugh You said everyone on this thread cares what people wear, is that not an opinion??

If I misunderstood you I apologise

I don't support any team in the EL because theres not one near me if Carlow had a team I would support them, I have talked about issue plenty times in the past, search the forum and you'l find it.:)

I agree with you , although don't you think it's ironic that the majority of celtic fans will never step into a catholic church, will slag anyone who does , claim to be athiest and at the same time only support celtic because they hate protestands

I agree with you , although don't you think it's ironic that the majority of celtic fans will never step into a catholic church, will slag anyone who does , claim to be athiest and at the same time only support celtic because they hate protestands
    Cop yourself on and stop with this bloody generalistation.

• Advertisement

I thugh You said everyone on this thread cares what people wear, is that not an opinion??

If I misunderstood you I apologise

I don't support any team in the EL because theres not one near me if Carlow had a team I would support them, I have talked about issue plenty times in the past, search the forum and you'l find it.:)

Fair enough. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

eirebhoy

If you think that there is not a certain percentage of Celtic fans that hate protestants and are anything but practicing catholics then you are being a little short sighted.
    Go to a so-called 'disadvantaged area' and you WILL no doubt see some celtic jerseys on a field drinking cider. These idea's of carl carlsons' have hardly come from nowhere, have they??
    In dublin celtic jersyes do have an affiliation with the lowest common denominator and that is a fact. I am by no means saying that this applies to all celtic fans as surely the football team will have to enter the equation somewhere!

You edited your post after I quoted you! Who were you directed it at??
    Originally posted by Bungalow Bill
    Irish1

If you think that there is not a certain percentage of Celtic fans that hate protestants and are anything but practicing catholics then you are being a little short sighted.

So me where I said there wasn't a certain percentage of Celtic fans that hate protestants??

Go to a so-called 'disadvantaged area' and you WILL no doubt see some celtic jerseys on a field drinking cider. These idea's of carl carlsons' have hardly come from nowhere, have they??
    In dublin celtic jersyes do have an affiliation with the lowest common denominator and that is a fact. I am by no means saying that this applies to all celtic fans as surely the football team will have to enter the equation somewhere!

I'm sure you'l see people wearing Man Utd jerseys in a field drinking cider too!

Carl has been trolling with general remarks about celtic fans, he wasn't speaking just about Dublin lower class fans! His point of view is far too general and close minded.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

I don't know I thought the flinstone guy was irish1 for some reason, this wasn't directed at you at all

eirebhoy

Of course there is a certain percentage of Celtic fans who hate protestants but there is also a certin percentage of Ireland fans who hate protestants. Carl Carlson said that the MAJORITY of Celtic fans hate prtestants and slag people for going into a catholic church. He is being a bloody twat so i told him to cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭lad12

I wud just like to say that i am a Rangers Fan and im proud to be a Rangers fan.The Reason i follow Rangers is because ya get these saps who follow Celtic and a team like liverpool or Man utd.They always back celtic to the hill through the season but once they play there english team..its like "Oh i hate Them!!"
    Then this stupid s**t of booing a rangers player playing against Ireland all i ask is why?? ..Or then this thing of saying oh "Gary Nevill is brillant or scholes is class" but when they play for there country, its like "Hope the c**t brakes his 2 legs"..

all i say is come on Rangers

Fair enough Lad12 but not all Celtic fans are like this.
    I support Celtic. If I had to support a team in England it would probably be newcastle.

I am a football supporter first and foremost. I can't stand the Generalisations (sp?) in this thread. Not fair on genuine supporters of any team!:mad:

Good point lad12. Booing of rangers players at landsdowne road is a discrace.

Anyone i know who supports man u or liverpool supports celtic. I ask why?

Not always the case Henry. There are plenty of ppl who support The Pool, Utd or even Arsenal and don't support Celtic. And there are loads of ppl who support ONLY Celtic.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Gilly2003
    Not always the case Henry. There are plenty of ppl who support The Pool, Utd or even Arsenal and don't support Celtic. And there are loads of ppl who support ONLY Celtic.

Yeah i know. I was just saying anyone i know does. Mainly Man U suporters though.

But people do support celtic/pool/man u for their Irish connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭lad12

Yeah but any celtic supporter who aint like this lives in glasgow. or make up about 2% of football fans in ireland...the rest follow man utd or liverpool --> and celtic...its pretty sad when ya hear them calling themselves celtic fans..i suppose let them cos they all rush out and spend 50€ on the new shirt every season --> generate more money for celtic..

and den maybe they can afford Jay Jay

Well i'd like to think so.
    Otherwise how can they justify supporting a team from another country?
    I'm guilty of it myself by supporting celtic but eh Sligo Rovers ain't doin the best at the mo so i'm stuck with that crowd in glasgow!:D ;)

Fair enough.
    Don't know about 2% but at least your recognising that we're not all like that!

The only club I support is Celtic. I am in that 2 %, yay. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Im a proud protestant and ireland fan. why do people question my irishness when

1)I tell them my religion

2)I say i that i dont support celtic

its all blatant hypocracy if u ask me. many celtic fans claim to be more irish than non celtic fans because celtic are a catholic club, and catholicism they say is an intregal part of irishness. me arse.some of them label as traitors people who dont support the scottish club celtic and yet many celtic fans dont even follow an eircom league club and yet they think that supporting a foreign team copensates for their lack of pride in their national league.

The only genuine celtic fans are the ones who support them purely for footballing reasons not because of this catholic vs protestant crap.

• Advertisement

Carl has been trolling with general remarks about celtic fans, he wasn't speaking just about Dublin lower class fans! His point of view is far too general and close minded.

actually i was referring to people from dublin lower class. Never ever mis quote me

Originally posted by lad12
    I wud just like to say that i am a Rangers Fan and im proud to be a Rangers fan.The Reason i follow Rangers is because ya get these saps who follow Celtic and a team like liverpool or Man utd.They always back celtic to the hill through the season but once they play there english team..its like "Oh i hate Them!!"
    Then this stupid s**t of booing a rangers player playing against Ireland all i ask is why?? ..Or then this thing of saying oh "Gary Nevill is brillant or scholes is class" but when they play for there country, its like "Hope the c**t brakes his 2 legs"..

all i say is come on Rangers
    well i don't like rangers but your damn right about the hypocracy in the celtic fans .

Originally posted by AngelofFire
    Im a proud protestant and ireland fan. why do people question my irishness when

1)I tell them my religion

2)I say i that i dont support celtic

its all blatant hypocracy if u ask me. many celtic fans claim to be more irish than non celtic fans because celtic are a catholic club, and catholicism they say is an intregal part of irishness. me arse.some of them label as traitors people who dont support the scottish club celtic and yet many celtic fans dont even follow an eircom league club and yet they think that supporting a foreign team copensates for their lack of pride in their national league.

The only genuine celtic fans are the ones who support them purely for footballing reasons not because of this catholic vs protestant crap.

Finally someone who has a damn clue. p.s I am a catholic incase anyone thought different

Originally posted by Gilly2003
    Well i'd like to think so.
    Otherwise how can they justify supporting a team from another country?
    I'm guilty of it myself by supporting celtic but eh Sligo Rovers ain't doin the best at the mo so i'm stuck with that crowd in glasgow!:D ;)

Well, as a Sligo Rovers fan u can justifiably support Celtic- isn't Willie McStay still coaching with them?

actually i was referring to people from dublin lower class. Never ever mis quote me

Well show me where you stated you were only talking about Dublin lower class fans??

• Advertisement
Advertisement