Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rant about Irish people supporting Celtic

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 carl carlson

Originally posted by irish1
    Well show me where you stated you were only talking about Dublin lower class fans??
    just because i didn't say it doesn't mean you can quote me on having said the opposite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

this is an interesting thread... ive had this dicussion on many occasions before..

was just talking about this with a guy in work from derry and a guy from dublin... im originally from belfast and we were discussing the fact that the majority of people in ireland, especially in the north support celtic or rangers because of the whole sectarian thing...

admitingly there is the genuine fans who support the team because they actually like the team for their football and are passionate about their club... i admire fans for supporting a team for the right reasons... i support everton for example and i dislike liverpool for obvious reasons, because they are the local rivals.... i dont hate them... mild hate would be a better way of phrasing it... those derby matches are actually a more friendly atmosphere... neighbours, families and friends are divided for that 90 mins and after that its forgotten about and the mild banter starts again...

with celtic and rangers followers this doesnt seem to be the case... i dont actually think i would like to go to a celtic vs rangers game because of the atmosphere that would be present... hate... not a nice situation to be in...

the problem i think is the old 'middle ground'... the people who support a certain team in england and follow celtic just so they can hate rangers while they are watching the old firm games... if you asked them about any of the games against the rest of the teams in the spl they wouldnt have a clue.... these are the 'knackers' (to coin a phrase) that you see walking around dublin with their celtic shirts and soverign rings... they think its great to 'support' celtic so they can hate rangers and be 'irish'... to be honest i pity these people for their lack of intellect....

being a catholic originally from belfast you would think that i should be a celtic follower... its actually seeing the idiots supporting celtic for the sectarianism that has put me off the whole celtic thing.... i like to see them doing well etc but i wouldnt be pushed to go and watch a game on tv for example.... and in general i just think the spl is pure rubbish, which is another days argument....

with celtic's irish roots ireland is always going to have these type of celtic fans, so i think we are just gonna have to live with it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭AmenToThat

I had posted a couple or replys on this subject early on in the thread but stopped as threads about this particular topic tend to go round and round in circles and achieve nothing but reading some of the crap that has been posted in previous pages I felt I had to reply.

"Class" where you live, your social habits, now all seem to be indicators of your team according to some of the contributers to this thread!
    This to me is nothing short of bigotry...........the very thing they accuse others of!

Not only that but there is a large slice of hypocrisy at work also

We all know that Celtic has an undesirable element attached to the club I dont think one Celtic fan posting on this thread has tried to say otherwise?

What hasnt to be pointed out in the endles search for negatives is that Celtic fc as a club also hase alot of fine qualities.
    The club has never dicriminated in terms or race or religion!
    The club is tackling bigotry and indeed runs many events in northern Ireland where groups from both communities are brought to Parkhead as guests of the club!
    Through Martin O Neills intervention alot of money.......and indeed the plight of Derry City (League of Ireland club) was raised which I must assume in some way helped them when they were under financial pressure?
    As a club Celtic received a fair play award for the GOOD behaviour of the fans in Seville last year, many of whom were Irish born and breed.

Contrast this with English clubs (I only point out Englich clubs because most of those posting here seem to support English teams) whos fans have rampaged across Europe for the last three decades terrorizing the local populations or the fact that there were probably more black men on the Arsenal team yesterday than were in attendance watching the match and you get some level of the hypocrisy at work here!

You may say, as has been said in other threads that there are other reasons why ethnic minorities dont attend English games...........many of these reasons Im sure are valid but do any of you seriously believe that race plays no part in this?

Maybe you think its ok because its not Irish fans who are involved and that it is Irish fans who are involved with regard to Celtic fc?
    If this is your answer then I say to you that indeed you are a sad individual as justifying and contributing to (buying jerseys, attending games etc.) on the basis that any wrong doing(and it is a minority involved in such activities within English clubs) is done by other people and not "our own" for want of a better word is a complete cop out and typical of the "pass the buck" mentality that so many of us as Irish people are guilty of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Originally posted by carl carlson
    just because i didn't say it doesn't mean you can quote me on having said the opposite

Show me where I quoted you saying the opposite??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Originally posted by AmenToThat
    The club has never dicriminated in terms or race or religion!

No Celtic FC, the club hasn't

However many of their supporters do
    and that is what turns people against them

Originally posted by nlgbbbblth

However many of their supporters do
    and that is what turns people against them

Of the Celtic fans who posted on this thread what percentage have made bigoted and or racist comments?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

All the prats come oput to play during an Ireland international.
    You can tell who they are by the celtic jerseys that they be wearin'.
    Its a bloody Ireland match. Wear the Ireland Jersey. Don't wear the Jersey of a foreign football team. You see the odd united and Liverpool jersey but half the statium have celtic jerseys on.
    Talk about making the Irish people look like gob****es on a grand scale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

I have three protestant friends who support Celtic, which shows how times are gradually changing.
    Its a bloody Ireland match. Wear the Ireland Jersey. Don't wear the Jersey of a foreign football team. You see the odd united and Liverpool jersey but half the statium have celtic jerseys on.

In spite of having no interest in Scottish football. I'd feel a lot safer wearing a Celtic jersey to Lansdowne Road than a Rangers jersey. I can understand Celtic and Rangers fans hating each other in the same context as Arsenal and Man utd do because they are their biggest rivals. But the vast majority of the hatred is sectarianism.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

"In spite of having no interest in Scottish football. I'd feel a lot safer wearing a Celtic jersey to Lansdowne Road than a Rangers jersey"
    His point was that you shouldn't wear either jersey, it's an Ireland match.
    He is making a point that these people see a link between the two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by DaithiSurfer
    I don't wear a Celtic jersey to Lansdowne because I have an Ireland jersey but what about the people who don't have Ireland jersey's? What should they wear? I'll tell you what they should wear, something green. Therefore they should wear a Celtic , Shamrock Rovers, Hibs, Panathanaikos, whatever jersey or form of clothing if it is green. As we all know there is a higher population of Celtic fans then other clubs therefore you will see more jersey's (although its not as many Celtic jersey's as people think).

I would like you to tell me the exact reason you don't like these people and why you actually think they wear Celtic jerseys at Lansdowne?

If I wore an Ireland jerey to Celtic park there wouldn't be a problem.
    Oh I'm sure Ronaldo went back to Spain laughing about seeing a few Celtic jersey's at Lansdowne.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Originally posted by DaithiSurfer

:rolleyes:

I have worn a celtic jersey at an Irish game, you calling me a prat??:mad:

" I'll tell you what they should wear, something green. Therefore they should wear a Celtic , Shamrock Rovers, Hibs, Panathanaikos, whatever jersey or form of clothing if it is green"

If you really think that they is no other reason people wear Celtic jerseys to Landsdowne then you are very, very wrong.

Originally posted by Bungalow Bill
    " I'll tell you what they should wear, something green. Therefore they should wear a Celtic , Shamrock Rovers, Hibs, Panathanaikos, whatever jersey or form of clothing if it is green"

If you really think that they is no other reason people wear Celtic jerseys to Landsdowne then you are very, very wrong.
    Would you like to tell me another reason?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

Originally posted by irish1

I have worn a celtic jersey at an Irish game, you calling me a prat??:mad:
    Wearing green to an Irish match is fine. Wearing a Celtic jersey to an Irish match because they are Celtic, and because you believe Celtic is an Irish club, makes you, in my opinion, a prat. As for people that wear the Celtic away jersey to Ireland games, well...

"Wearing green to an Irish match is fine. Wearing a Celtic jersey to an Irish match because they are Celtic, and because you believe Celtic is an Irish club, makes you, in my opinion, a prat. As for people that wear the Celtic away jersey to Ireland games, well..."

THere's your reason. Peeple obviously see the two going hand in hand.

Originally posted by ReefBreak
    Wearing green to an Irish match is fine. Wearing a Celtic jersey to an Irish match because they are Celtic, and because you believe Celtic is an Irish club, makes you, in my opinion, a prat. As for people that wear the Celtic away jersey to Ireland games, well...

No room in Boards for personal insults, I wore a Celtic Jersey to an Irish game because I felt like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

Originally posted by Bungalow Bill
    THere's your reason. Peeple obviously see the two going hand in hand.
    Exactly, that's my reason. Celtic are a Scottish club. They are not Irish. Therefore, people who wear Celtic jerseys to Ireland games because they think they're Irish are idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭bdiddy

the major problem as i see it here is amongst people who dont support Celtic. I got a right rollickin around this time last year cos i said i was goin to see a celtic match. I was told that only bigots and racists supported celtic and of thier terrible history. I was also informed that Henrick Larsson is in fact prodestant, this i didnt know becase it doesnt bother me what religion he follows and it obviously doesnt bother celtic fans in general because they dont care, all we know is that he's an amazing footballer and epotimises all that is great about Glasgow Celtic. The person giving me the lecture at the time knew of his religion and i'd imagine he knew the religious backgrounds of most of the celtic players, i'd suggest its the people who dislike celtic and celtic supporters who are prejudice in thier was and thoughts!?!?!

Originally posted by ReefBreak
    Believe me if you like but I don't actually know one person who says Celtic is an irish club. Of course they have Irish roots which obviously got a lot of Irish supporting them a few DECADES ago. Most people don't just pick a team in a league and start supporting them, they usually start supporting them because their father or bigger brother supports them and that is at the age of about 6-10.

People don't just get to the age of 16 and think Oh, Celtic are Catholic, lets support them. If they do they are not the Celtic fans I and many others do not want to be associated with these people and you better start realising that. Just because a few skangers are brought up supporting them doesn't mean the club deserves to be hated.

I am happy that club I support was founded by and Irishman and is also managed and owned by an Irishman but that is certainly not the reason I decided to support them and the same can be said for many others. Of course 90% of Irish-Celtic fans wouldn't support the club if it hadn't got Irish roots but that is not my fault or indeed my father's, it is our ancestors. My kids will probably support Celtic because I do but they don't deserve to be called bigots because they support them.

If people do think Celtic are an Irish club, so what? I don't know much about Celtic's history but if I, as an Irishman, set up a club it would be Irish, wouldn't it? I would certainly want it to be. And by saying they wear Celtic jersey's to Irish matches because they think they are Irish (they think they are Irish, what did they do wrong?), why isn't there Shelbourne jersey's at the matches? if there actually is, why aren't you giving out about them?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    wrong?), why isn't there Shelbourne jersey's at the matches? if there actually is, why aren't you giving out about them?

I've seen Eircom league jersies at matches
    not many mind

reason why people wouldn't give out about that is that Shelbourne/Bohs/St Pats are actually Irish clubs

Originally posted by bdiddy
    I was also informed that Henrick Larsson is in fact prodestant, this i didnt know becase it doesnt bother me what religion he follows and it obviously doesnt bother celtic fans in general because they dont care,

Celtic, unlike Rangers, have never had a problem with players of the "opposite" creed.

There are many examples we could name while Rangers have only recently (1989 onwards) signed Catholics.

That is to Celtic's credit and in fairness they could never be described as being a "bigoted" club in that sense

However while it may not bother you that Larsson is Protestant it clearly bothers quite a few Celtic fans, a lot of whom wouldn't post/wouldn't know how to post on internet message boards if you get my meaning.

I have witnessed many people with Celtic jersies badmouthing Protestants vis-a-vis in conversation and while shouting at a TV sceen - and also displaying a woeful ignorance of their country's history.

e.g.
    "Wolfe Tone
    'Enery Grattan
    Robert Emmett
    Charles Parnell
    Thomas Davis"

That sort of behaviour is not acceptable and is a main reason why they are disliked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

I have witnessed many people with Celtic jersies badmouthing Protestants vis-a-vis in conversation and while shouting at a TV sceen - and also displaying a woeful ignorance of their country's history.

e.g.
    "Wolfe Tone
    'Enery Grattan
    Robert Emmett
    Charles Parnell
    Thomas Davis"

That sort of behaviour is not acceptable and is a main reason why they are disliked

Dont forget W.B yeats and Dr douglas hyde. two more great reasons to be proud to be irish and protestant.

if people want to support celtic for footballing reasons or the fact that their founder is irish let them be. i`ve no problem with that. it just bugs me when they call non-celtic fans unpatriotic or if they are only in it for the whole catholic/protestant rivalry.

catholicism is a religion. irishness is a nationality both are completely different things and should not be confused with eachother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭markomac316

Rumour has it Ireland will be playing their home games at Celtic Park {sorry if someone already said that I just wanted to add my 2cents before i read all the comments}.

Im a Celtic mad supporter but to call Celtic fans sectarian is wrong. Celtics greatest manager of all time was a Protestant, Big Jock Stein. Celtic never refused to sign Protestants, Muslims, Jews or any other religion/race whereas Rangers FC did up until 10 years ago {or somewhere around that time}.

I know a lot of Protestants who support Celtic because of their fantastic following, and because they are a brilliant team.

The reason why I support Celtic is because my whole family supported them and so I was brought up as a Celtic fan, is there anything wrong with that? no there isnt.

Celtic are a club with deep Irish roots {they were set up for the poor Irish in the east end of Glasgow} and they have kept with that by helping the Irish people. If you see this as a wrong reason to support them than thats your fault.

And as for calling Rangers huns i admit I do and if thats a racist term then im very sorry. I know its a sectarian term but I'm not sectarian as I have many protestant friends. And I call them huns and they call me a fenian it doesnt bother them and it doesnt bother me, as the saying goes "sticks and stones my break my bones but names will never hurt me". I guess its part of the society we live in to say those terms, and its something that will more than likely never go away.

After reading all the posts I have to agree with both sets of views.

A lot of people will wear Celtic shirts to fit in and be cool, and have probably never walked through a turnstyle at Celtic Park. A lot of these people being Skangers or whatever they are called. Im as people would call a hippy or a grunger, and I frequently attend Celtic home matches and I try to get to as many away games as I possibly can {being 17 and on a low budget thats difficult}.

Ive been to Celtic games and I have seen people walking around the Galagate {spelling} wearing Rangers tops and the only thing that has been said is "we're the champions" and things like that i.e a bit of banter. I've seen people wearing Celtic and Rangers tops playing football outside Celtic park and the Celtic fans will cheer when the guy in the celtic top scores but its all in the fun of the game.

To say that so many of the Celtic fans are not real is wrong, but to say some of them are not real is ok. Then again you could say the same about Arsenal {glory hunters}.

On derby days though it will change and thats it. But after the match its all forgotten.

As for Celtic having a few bad supporters {who go looking fights} of course they do, every team does. Though I've been to like I said a lot of away games and never seen any fights because its all true fans, and its the exact same at Celtic Park.

And about the slaggings i.e; hun, scum, orange bastards etc you'll get that with every derby game though for different derbys there will be different slaggings. I know people who've gone to Man Utd -vs- Liverpool and Arsenal -VS- Tottenham games and heard pretty much the same. My friends at the Man Utd games heard Man Utd fans turning to Irish Liverpool fans and calling them Fenian bastards, football will always be a sport were you'll have this type of slagging or sectarian abuse {as people will call it} but its part and parcel of the game. Personally I dont see it as sectarian cause like I said in my previous post I know protestants who support Celtic, and Catholics who support Rangers, its lost its meaning and isnt in my opinion a sectarian thing. Its a general term that has become accepted like so many other things in society.

-these are my views call me wrong if you want to-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 HOOPYBHOY

No I dont support Celtic for the wrong reasons, I support them for the right reasons. I spend about £1000 a year supporting my club, they are as close to me as my family, and for you to degrade them with taughnts of sectariansm and especially racism is absurd. We react to the most bitter hate filled fans in the world but even when we show restraint we are sectarian????

They made monkey noises at Bobo Balde on Sunday?? Nazi salutes?? I didnt hear one sectarian song from Celtic fans? correct me if I am wrong and I will watch the tape again. For you plastic paddy man utd fans who think you are above us read this.

WE ARE THE BIGGEST CLUB IN BRITAIN

• Advertisement

However while it may not bother you that Larsson is Protestant it clearly bothers quite a few Celtic fans

I have NEVER heard any Celtic fan have a go at Larsson for his religious backround!

Would love to know what hat you have pulled this rabbit from?

Disliked by who?

Certainly not by uefa who gave Celtic an award for the good behaviour of the fans.
    Certainly not by English clubs who love having them down for testimonials as they always bring a large good natured support.
    Certainly not by the vast majority of the people in Ireland as witnessed by the interest and good wishes the club recieved during last season European campaign, cant remember hearing one negative comment during that time.

Originally posted by bdiddy
    I was also informed that Henrick Larsson is in fact prodestant, this i didnt know becase it doesnt bother me what religion he follows and it obviously doesnt bother celtic fans in general because they dont care, all we know is that he's an amazing footballer and epotimises all that is great about Glasgow Celtic. The person giving me the lecture at the time knew of his religion and i'd imagine he knew the religious backgrounds of most of the celtic players, i'd suggest its the people who dislike celtic and celtic supporters who are prejudice in thier was and thoughts!?!?!

Agreed!
    Prejudice takes many forms as displayed on this thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 aussie_tim_1798

look, i'm a protestant Celtic fan, and i know many other protestant Celtic fans, and it's barely ever come up. when it has, it's been a complete non-issue.

most of you seem to have no idea what you're talking about - who the hell told you that Celtic fans are anti-protestant?

do you know WHY the club was called "Celtic" (as opposed to "Hibernian" or "Harp")? to reflect both its Irishness and Scottishness - the latter of which were almost exclusively protestant.

Celtic FC is a transnational club, both Scottish AND Irish - whether you like it or not.

i can only infer you must of all got your information from the English tabloid media...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I know quite a few people who started supporting Celtic for the "right reasons" and quite a few who started for the "wrong reasons", but at the end of the day they're all die hard Celtic supporters regardless of the reason.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 MontyBurns

What team do you support?

No I dont support Celtic for the wrong reasons, I support them for the right reasons. I spend about £1000 a year supporting my club, they are as close to me as my family, and for you to degrade them with taughnts of sectariansm and especially racism is absurd. We react to the most bitter hate filled fans in the world but even when we show restraint we are sectarian????

They made monkey noises at Bobo Balde on Sunday?? Nazi salutes?? I didnt hear one sectarian song from Celtic fans? correct me if I am wrong and I will watch the tape again. For you plastic paddy man utd fans who think you are above us read this.

WE ARE THE BIGGEST CLUB IN BRITAIN

So do I. This season I've been to at least 15 home games and 5 away games, with every game I buy a scarf, with every scarf I buy a program. I also spend about £20 in the mega store every time I go over. Im a true fan. Over and Over I will follow them, cause Im a Celtic supporter faithful through and through!.

Rangers fans are as low as it can get {well the majority of them}. When we played Stuggart last season did anyone see the big THANK YOU CELTIC FANS FOR YOUR KIND WELCOME IN GLASGOW sign on the big screens. There was none of that for Rangers. Rangers fans are scum they boo their own players, remember Amoruso when he signed cause he was a catholic. They are full of sectarian hatred. Remember what I said earlier about the Rangers fans being outside Celtic Park during Celtic matches, I'd hate to see that the other way around.

Also something Im suprised nobody said. Im sick of this "Ireland fans boo Ex/Current Rangers players". Big deal what if we do. What if we wear Celtic tops to the games {personally I wear my half celtic half Ireland umbro top which says for club and country.} What about Norn Iron fans sending death threats to Neil Lennon cause he played for Celtic. Forcing him to retire for international football. What about where that stadium is, Windsor Park. Its a sectarian whole with U.D.A, UVF, etc flags all around it. What about the crowds with their U.D.A tops at it, or Rangers tops. They boo Celtic players as well. Boo'ing is part of the game they get enough money to deal with it, but to recieve death threats against you and your family is wrong.

Originally posted by markomac316
    Also something Im suprised nobody said. Im sick of this "Ireland fans boo Ex/Current Rangers players". Big deal what if we do
    The reason it hasn't been brought up much is because it was discussed to death here so many times. Of course you and many others don't see it as a big deal because most people boo because of the rivalry. Unfortunately so many people on boards think its secterianism because of the histor between the two clubs.

friends. And I call them huns and they call me a fenian it doesnt bother them and it doesnt bother me, as the saying goes "sticks and stones my break my bones but names will never hurt me". I guess its part of the society we live in to say those terms, and its something that will more than likely never go away.

I bet if you went to a different country and constantly suffered from racial abuse( for example )you would be deeply offended . Saying that stupid untrue clíche makes you sound really ignorant . if someone is at a match and shouts " you prody........" or the fenian equivilant then it's sectarian not something to be ignored

Im not ignorant Im just saying the way me and my friends get on. I've been to matches and had abuse thrown at me as I've left grounds but I dont let it get to me. Infact its happened at nearly every away match ive went to. I'll turn around and call them a prat and leave it, you may call the clíche stupid but its true. Whereas if you had "Celtic" fans that your talking about then it might be a different story. They would probably try and start a fight.

Im not gonna disgrace my club by going to a match and shouting my lungs off with I.R.A songs, or other sectarian remarks.

Originally posted by carl carlson
    if someone is at a match and shouts " you prody........" or the fenian equivilant then it's sectarian not something to be ignored

This is where you are beleiving the tabloids and some of those on this board who literally havnt a clue what they are talking about when it comes to Celtic fc
    There is practically no chanting of "prody this or prody that" from Celtic fans, its just untrue.

Now Iv said continually that we have a muppet element attached to the club and theres no denying that the "sad orange bastards" one does the rounds among some of the fans when we play Rangers but that may have something to do with the fact that the Rangers fans sing "The Sash' to actually proclaim there affiliation with the Orange order which is indeed a secterian organisation.

I havnt read Alex Fergusons biography but isnt there something about his dad (prodestant) being a member of a Celtic supports club in Govan?
    Iv passed through Govan and believe me its a less than diplomatic area when it comes to oldfirm alligence yet even there at a time when Scottish(west of Scotland in particular) truely was polarised along religious lines a prdestant could be a member of a Celtic supporters club without fear.

Originally posted by AmenToThat
    This is where you are beleiving the tabloids and some of those on this board who literally havnt a clue what they are talking about when it comes to Celtic fc
    There is practically no chanting of "prody this or prody that" from Celtic fans, its just untrue.

If there are any chants like that the people get kicked out and if they are season ticket holders there season ticket is taken from them and they will never receive another one. And if they arent I think they receive a life ban and in some cases the police can be brought in.

There is no room for any of this kind of behaviour in Celtic Park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Also something Im suprised nobody said. Im sick of this "Ireland fans boo Ex/Current Rangers players". Big deal what if we do. What if we wear Celtic tops to the games {personally I wear my half celtic half Ireland umbro top which says for club and country.} What about Norn Iron fans sending death threats to Neil Lennon cause he played for Celtic. Forcing him to retire for international football. What about where that stadium is, Windsor Park. Its a sectarian whole with U.D.A, UVF, etc flags all around it. What about the crowds with their U.D.A tops at it, or Rangers tops. They boo Celtic players as well. Boo'ing is part of the game they get enough money to deal with it, but to recieve death threats against you and your family is wrong.

i agree that loyalist Parlimilitary chants should be kept out of northern ireland games. the treatment of neil lennon was appauling.

however i am completely against celtic fans booing oppostion rangers/ex rangers players who represent their country at our international matches. if they want to boo rangers players for "football rivalry" they can do so in scotland.

since the rivalry is taking out of the context of the spl where it is merely a local rivalry, and put into the context of republic of ireland games i can see no other motivation behind these taunts but secterianism. Celtic`s irish roots do not justify the taunts.

Big deal what if we do. What if we wear Celtic tops to the games {personally I wear my half celtic half Ireland umbro top which says for club and country.} What about Norn Iron fans sending death threats to Neil Lennon cause he played for Celtic. Forcing him to retire for international football. What about where that stadium is, Windsor Park. Its a sectarian whole with U.D.A, UVF, etc flags all around it. What about the crowds with their U.D.A tops at it, or Rangers tops. They boo Celtic players as well. Boo'ing is part of the game they get enough money to deal with it, but to recieve death threats against you and your family is wrong.

Believe it or not, the NI FA are trying to stamp out sectarianism
    by discouraging Rangers tops, 1690 scarves etc

I know half a dozen Catholic guys who attend their home games regularly without hassle. They support them because they are from NI.
    NI fans boo Celtic players
    ROI fans boo Rangers players
    what's the difference?

as for the death threat - it was **** and the vast majority of NI fans would agree
    it's unfair to tar them all with the same brush

BTW
    why doesn't a Shamrock Rovers/ROI half and half jersey exist?
    at least it would be factually correct

BTW
    why doesn't a Shamrock Rovers/ROI half and half jersey exist?
    at least it would be factually correct

As a Celtic fan I dont know the answer to that one I think thats one your gonna have to ask Shamrock Rovers fans so I would guess this is the wrong thread!

• Advertisement

Im not ignorant Im just saying the way me and my friends get on. I've been to matches and had abuse thrown at me as I've left grounds but I dont let it get to me. Infact its happened at nearly every away match ive went to. I'll turn around and call them a prat and leave it, you may call the clíche stupid but its true. Whereas if you had "Celtic" fans that your talking about then it might be a different story. They would probably try and start a fight.

Im not gonna disgrace my club by going to a match and shouting my lungs off with I.R.A songs, or other sectarian remarks.

If you don't mind it fine, good for you . you know what they say ignorance is bliss

Advertisement